User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Zoom Details 2
Inks Lake State Park in Texas
 Views: 7605
 Comments: 2
 Rating: 4.95
Posted by TX_F2
Feb 26, 2008
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

IMG 0919
 Views: 1258
 Rating: 0.12
Posted by Davidcamper305
Jan 14, 2017
in Checkout My Rig

Author Topic: Duckbill Rock - Rock Formation on Oregon Coast Destroyed by Vandals  (Read 3678 times)

Offline PopUpSteve

• Website Administrator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Source: People.com
Video Shows Alleged Vandals Destroying Iconic Rock Formation on Oregon Coast

The collapse of a famous rock formation on the Oregon coast known as Duckbill Rock, or Thor's Fist, has turned into a criminal investigation after a video emerged of a group allegedly destroying the landmark on purpose.

Originally, Oregon State Parks regretfully shared the news of Duckbill's end as a natural occurrence.

"So this happened," read a Facebook post showing a before and after photo of the tourist destination. "The iconic sandstone formation at #CapeKiwanda - some called it the Duckbill - has collapsed. No one was injured, fortunately; but the rubble serves as a sobering reminder of the ever present dangers of our fragile coastal rocks and cliffs."

However, a video shared on Twitter on August 29 reveals a group of three young men appearing to deliberately topple the rock.

https://youtu.be/eLHxE6Yd5co

David Kalas, who posted the video, told the Associated Press on Monday that he was visiting Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area with friends while making a drone video.

According to Kalas, a group of eight people allegedly started pushing on the rock.

"I didn't think anything would happen," Kalas told the outlet. "It's a big rock."

Kalas says he started recording with his cellphone when it began wobbling, and three of the alleged vandals were able to topple the structure.

"We confronted them and they said it was a safety hazard," Kalas said. "They said one of their friends had broken a leg on it. It's like their weird revenge thing."

Many who have visited the popular photo location mourned its loss and called for the alleged vandals to be brought to justice.

In a statement released Monday, the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department announced they were investigating.

"The department takes vandalism of a state park's natural features seriously," the statement said. "The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, in cooperation with the Oregon State Police, will review the incident immediately and decide how best to respond."
Steve
Camp Director

[PUT] 2014 Honda Ridgeline (Bailey)
[PU] 2015 Somerset Evolution E2 (Escape Pod 2)

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"

Offline Halford

• Eagle Camper
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Duckbill Rock - Rock Formation on Oregon Coast Destroyed by Vandals
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
What's the reward money to find these vandals?  I feel like quitting work and find the vandals!
[TV] 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with tow package
[PU] 2002 Coleman Niagara

Offline jumpoff

• Gold
  • Eagle Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 12:08:30 PM »
The need to destroy things for fulfillment................it's hard to comprehend.
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab  4x4 SLT and a mature 2001 Coleman Utah that has all the comforts of well....a camper !!!  We live in Fruit Cove Fl.

Offline f5moab

• Star Camper
    • ID [ID]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:09:31 PM »
Problem is, if they catch them, they don't hit them hard enough with fines and jail time. Remember the boy scout troop leaders who toppled the formation in Goblin Valley SP in UT? http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/31/us/utah-boulder-boy-scouts/

They should have been thrown in jail for about 10 years and fined an amount that would put the hurt on them for life.
Lifted Flagstaff 228BH, Yokohama 15" AT Tires, Dual Batts/Tanks | '16 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC SLT
TWO MALAMUTES for a spare

Offline PopUpSteve

• Website Administrator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 11:35:01 AM »
They need to be sentenced to 10 years of cleaning the public bathroom at all the State Parks.
Steve
Camp Director

[PUT] 2014 Honda Ridgeline (Bailey)
[PU] 2015 Somerset Evolution E2 (Escape Pod 2)

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"

Offline eoleson1

• Life Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 11:38:45 AM »
They need to be sentenced to 10 years of cleaning the public bathroom at all the State Parks.

Maybe cleaning the vault in the vault toilets as well.
1994 StarCraft Starflyer 1021

2006 Chevrolet Colorado

Offline Zephyr

• Camper, 1st Class
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
About 20 years ago in Oregon, a group of young men decided to drop large rocks into a vault toilet at a FS campground.  Other campers called the sheriff.  The men were charged and sentenced to public service.  Guess what the public service was?  According to sources, they became very familiar with a number of vault toilets and what gets dropped into them....including a bunch of large rocks.
2013 4Runner and 2010 Chalet Arrowhead Trailboss
Me, DH, and 2 westies

Offline eoleson1

• Life Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
This made me lol!!
1994 StarCraft Starflyer 1021

2006 Chevrolet Colorado

Offline RkyMountainRose

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:45:01 PM »
Makes me sick to watch.
Me '77 - DH '71 - DD '98 - DS '00
'02 Starcraft Travelstar 23RBS (Spock), '08 Ford Explorer (Dora)
Well-behaved women rarely make history.

Offline tfischer

• Eagle Camper
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
I don't understand the use of the word "alleged/allegedly" here. There's video proof that someone did this, unless they're "alleging" the video may be fake.
2005 Palomino Pony, TV 2007 Grand Caravan

Offline Camp-or

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »

when I first saw this I said that they need to be thrown in jail until they rebuild it piece by piece with super glue. Should give them plenty of time to think about consequences of actions.
Mike | 2002 Starcraft M-2409 | 2015 Mazda CX-9

Offline Tom Biasi

• Eagle Camper
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »
I don't understand the use of the word "alleged/allegedly" here. There's video proof that someone did this, unless they're "alleging" the video may be fake.
The term is used when the speaker has no evidence to support the allegation. The video is not proof of anything. It can be submitted as evidence and accepted or denied by the court. Expert testimony could validate the authenticity of the video and an expert could state whether or not the people in the video are actually the accused.
Ultimately, the jury will decide.
1998 Viking 1906 ST
2009 Trailblazer 4.2L L6
Sent from my Bendix G-15 computer.

Offline Orchid

• Eagle Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 10:00:35 PM »
Mind boggling. I can't imagine, even as a less-than-fully-cooked young person, having the mentality to do something like this. I hope justice is served.

Problem is, if they catch them, they don't hit them hard enough with fines and jail time. Remember the boy scout troop leaders who toppled the formation in Goblin Valley SP in UT? http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/31/us/utah-boulder-boy-scouts/

This example is even more disturbing than the first. This is not only a parent, but a Scout Leader who is responsible for teaching kids to respect nature.

And as far as his claiming he was disabled in an accident and has been left with poor judgement, while that may be so, someone with the lack of judgement should have never been put in charge of a group of scouts!
1999 Coleman Nevada -2001 Honda Odyssey
Join us for a FLORIDA rally February 2017
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=108988.0