User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Pink Flamingo Hunter
 Views: 260
Posted by gerrybates1
May 12, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

IMG 3647
 Views: 131
Posted by VAoutdoors
Yesterday
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Cassette toilet vs porta-potty  (Read 31190 times)

Offline sd102

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Cassette toilet vs porta-potty
« on: November 13, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »
Okay I have another question in my search for a new pop up.  I have found tons of great pop ups, but 90% of them don't have toilets!  With two toddlers, this is a must for us.  So I'm wondering where people put porta-potties, and is there any form of privacy??  I know the ones with cassette toilets have shower curtain type thing for privacy.  Any ideas?  Or should I just keep searching for one with a cassette toilet?

Thanks!
Sue
Currently pop-up less:(
Sue
Starcraft TT

Offline sd102

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 02:12:25 PM »
Here's a link to one I'm considering, the only problem is the lack of toilet.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/rvs/476590743.html

Sue
Starcraft TT

Offline NYgranny

• Eagle Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 02:46:35 PM »
I don't have any experience with the porta potty. I know some people have enclosures they set up outside the door to house the potty. Our Starcraft came with the cassette toilet, and we LOVE it. We use it for middle-of-the-night, when it would be a PAIN to haul out to the bath house. I'm thinking a toilet INSIDE might be more convenient with toddlers. You might be able to put a porta potty inside---would there be space just to the right of the door? It looks like there is storage or a couch there, from the floor plan. This might be your first mod!

Barb

GRAMMY (me) '48
DH '49
'04 Starcraft2409
Let's go camping!
Barb

Offline fritz_monroe

• Eagle Camper
    • MD [MD]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Camping with Fritz
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:13:44 PM »
Looks like a nice pup.

As for the porta potty, you could just put it in the corner at night, that way it is available to the toddlers.  Then during the day if you need it out of there, either put it under the table or outside.  If you are like us, you won't spend much time inside and a trip to the bath house during the day isn't a big deal.

F_M

Nights camping in 2007: 19
2006: 14
2006 Nissan Armada & 2006 Fleetwood Bayside
My camping pics
Mid-Atlantic Campers - Camp tnereffiD
Greg, Karen, Andrew & Mackenzie
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S, 2013 Toyota Tundra
http://fritzmonroe.com/camping/

Offline skeetersbunch

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OK [OK]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »
IMHO, thinking back to when mine were toddlers, I think it would be difficult for me to reach in to the shower area of our PUP to assist a toddler on the built-in cassette toilet.  I'm considering those layers of curtains and the size of the area to work in.  Even with that difficulty, I think I would still opt for the built-in for convenience for when they grew up.

Skeeters' Bunch = DH, DW, DS(13) & DS(10)
2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4
2003 Coleman Niagara

Offline Mr_Custom

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:42:21 PM »
We have a portable unit that we put out at night for the kiddies (6 and 9) and DW seems to use it too.  during the day it gets put away or up on top of the dog crate with other stuff.  If I camp with any of my buddies it just doesn't come out at all.  Nice to have the flexibility.  The rule is #1 only.  Anything else and it's off to the comfort station or the vault toilets.

Mr_Custom
Antigonish, NS
2006 Chev Trail Blazer
03 Coleman Sun Valley
Coleman 2003 Sun Valley/2005 Trail Blazer

Offline Luv2ridebikes

• Eagle Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:26:43 PM »
We camped for years with popups that had no bathroom.  When the boys were really young, we had a portapotty and used it like Fritz Monroe suggests.   When the boys became old enough to want privacy, they were also old enough to go to the bathhouse.

Of course now we have the enclosed bathroom and the boys find that quite amusing.  It is a wonderful convenience, but you have to decide if it fits your budget.

Steve& Deb (the boys are grown & gone)
Aspen & Riley (the 4 legged children)
05 Fleetwood Sequoia THE QSR
Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Univega
Steve and Deb
Aspen and Riley - our four legged offspring
2005 Sequoia towed by an 04 Ext Trailblazer and lots of bikes

Offline Cowboy Camper

• Eagle Camper
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:19:23 PM »
You can also set a Porta Potty in a shower/potty tent just behind the camper (in my case, just behind the awning and mat). Close to the pup, private, not set up if not needed, not too difficult to set up when needed, not in the way at all inside, and possibly a cheaper alternative. I've seen the Potties for around $75.00 at stores such as Sears and K Mart, and the tents for about $40.00 at K Mart and Wal Mart.

Image attempt...  

I hope the pic works. If not, you can find it in my Webshots Gallery by clicking the little camera icon under my name at the left of this post.

I also agree with Mr_Custom's rule, #1 only. But if you have to go (2) you have to go.

Another rule that does not EVER get bent, you must SIT! Even a male doing #1. Just some thoughts from me.

Cowboy Camper  Tree  PopUp  Wildlife
Campfire
'75 Palomino
POW/MIA To Honor my Grandpa, WWII

Offline sd102

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 08:30:09 PM »
Thank you for your ideas.  I actually already have a porta-potty and that exact same "potty tent" lol.  It's just a pain to set up and take down.  And my porta potty leaks (the water tank) My last pup was a 10 ft box (no slide out) so there was no room to put it away anywhere.  I was just wondering if there would be a spot in a bigger pup.  Maybe I should just hold out to find one like that but with a cassette toilet.  It just seems so much easier.

I'm just eager to get a new pup and start camping again!  How much longer until spring? lol.

Thanks again,
Sue

Sue
Starcraft TT

Offline Luv2ridebikes

• Eagle Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 12:29:44 PM »
Take heart!  Winter is the perfect time to research.  As long as your budget and towing capacity permit, almost every major brand has models with shower/cassette toilets.  It sounds like you would really prefer that option.  They have been out for a number of years so used units should be available for a better price.

This camper is our 4th, but the first with a bathroom.  The cassette toilet has been easy to maintain (so far) and easy to set up and empty.   Check out the manufacturer websites to become familiar with their model series and then start watching ebay and craigslist.

Good Luck!

Steve& Deb (the boys are grown & gone)
Aspen & Riley (the 4 legged children)
05 Fleetwood Sequoia THE QSR
Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Univega
Steve and Deb
Aspen and Riley - our four legged offspring
2005 Sequoia towed by an 04 Ext Trailblazer and lots of bikes

Offline Girl-Trapped

• Camper, 1st Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • webshots
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 04:24:10 PM »
LOVE having the toilet/shower!  Two campouts ago, one of my twin daughters had upset stomach. . .no need to elaborate here, but I was grateful for the toilet for both our sake.  That's what it's for!  Primarily nights and emergencies.  #1 or #2 doesn't really matter. . .the smell of the tank treatment overwhelms even the residual #2 smell.

Another note--I have actually taken a shower twice now!  I love being able to take a shower.  Not because I mind being dirty so much, it's just that here in Texas the humidity is so high.  We run the A/C but the sheets are always so sticky when you climb into them from the humidity and being dirty.  I have found that if I shower before going to bed then it reduces the sticky feel quite a bit.  BTW, under floor 17 gallon grey water tank.  HWH holds 6 gallons.  The shower head has a cutoff switch so you get your soap and shampoo ready. . .get the water temp the way you like it. . .rinse off, then use the water cutoff. . .soap and shampoo. . .cut the water back on (still perfect temp) and you're done!  Takes less than 5 minutes, and no shortage of hot water.  

Who's with me?!

01 Jayco Heritage Laurel
04 Pilot EXL-NAV
One wife
Three daughters
Big dreams
One wife. Three daughters. Big dreams!

Offline fishcube

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IA [IA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Cassette toilet vs porta-potty
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 01:45:43 PM »
About the shower potty combos that come in many of the models.   Do they work for larger people?  overweight people? 

Also those casette potty cabinets like in colemans.  How do they work?   Easy to empty?  How? 

Sharonkay
---
Looking for our first camper, a pop up! :)

Offline zinger60

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
We don't have a shower/toilet combination but  our Viking has 2 separate cabinets for the shower and toilet.  The cassette toilet is in a cabinet and is up high like a regular toilet.  I am not a small person and have never had any problems with it.  It is very sturdy, seems just like a home toilet.  I can't speak about the combinations since I have never used them.
2002 Viking 2465st
2004 Toyota Tacoma

Offline leetha18

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »
My sister is not a camper but she is amusing her husband and trying to be more outdoorsy.  The in-laws got her a cassette toilet for her birthday.  She sets up a small tent next to their sleeping tent for it.  They have 2 little ones so this is helpful for them in the middle of the night.  I thought of doing this for my 6 yr old.  We could just set up our old tent next to the pup and use it for nighttime and #1 only.  This would also help when I'm not there.  My husband would not have to let her go into the community bathroom by herself.  She is 6 and doesn't normally need assistance, but if she did - he could help her. 
04 Pontiac Aztek
96 Jayco Jay Series 1207

Offline fishcube

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IA [IA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 11:29:57 AM »
What are the differences between both types?   Anyone have pictures of both and how to empty them?   Do you have to have a dump station to empty the cassette ones that are installed into many models?  or can you empty without a dump station?   

Sharonkay
---
Looking for our first camper, a pop up! :)

Bear Creek Canvas