User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 678
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

stored for winter
Well folks, we put the camper away until next year.  So, the plan is to save money this winter and come spring be able to finish it in one go.  We want to camp in it next summer.  I just recently found out that a friend of mine has an old Jayco pop-up that he wants to restore.  My wife chuckled that…
 Views: 221
Posted by mark.w.mn
Oct 11, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

What is this? by tombiasi
[Today at 04:58:25 PM]

So camping season is starting up here in Texas.... by DragNfly
[Today at 04:49:45 PM]

Rallies in SC by yetavon
[Today at 04:49:28 PM]

Not a Good Start to the Fall Season! by Dubbya
[Today at 04:43:40 PM]

Camper LED Conversion how to by Dubbya
[Today at 04:35:58 PM]

Brightest LEDs for trailer, 921 bayonet and 1156 socket by JimmyM
[Today at 04:35:55 PM]

Best Heat Source? by jman1200
[Today at 04:26:14 PM]

Can't get wheels to lock by Dubbya
[Today at 04:21:26 PM]

Creek Company Hanging cupboard new w/o tags and Starcraft Starflyer screen room by Nlittle
[Today at 04:18:11 PM]

Good price? Fleetwood Utah by Dubbya
[Today at 04:15:45 PM]

Winterizing question by Snow
[Today at 04:14:26 PM]

New counter tops needed. What to use? by Dubbya
[Today at 04:12:48 PM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Replacing the lock  (Read 8235 times)

Offline uncleel

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Replacing the lock
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:24:58 AM »
the Coleman T-handle lock looks like it can be replaced by standard garage door lock. Or should I find an original Coleman?
any sources?

Offline licamper

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Replacing the lock
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »
Interesting.. didn't think of that.  Last night I was repairing/replacing broken stuff on my camper and remembered I had issues with the step door that NEEDS to be fixed.

I bought my camper w/o a key... And
1) I'm afraid it'll get locked in error and
2) We've had the door vibrate open SEVERAL times while driving.

Duct tape helped us last year, but it looks pretty nasty.  I'm looking for a lock replacement.. Anyone have any ideas?  Garage door thing might be cool, but I'd MUCH PREFER a real replacement.

-Rob

-Rob

1985 Coleman Columbia
2003 Kia Sedona (does most pulling)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (does the playing)

Offline scoutermom

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Replacing the lock
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:47:45 AM »
My starcraft also came without it's original key, and the mended latch broke shortly after we started using the camper.  

I replaced the latch with a standard screen door latch - which matched the original (or at least, matched what had been there when I got it, it could have been a replacement, too) But I did NOT get one with a lock, as the camper is old and not very 'square' - even when the door latched, there was no guarantee it would stay closed!

We've since fixed that problem, and the door stays latched.  But I also spent some trips duct-taping the door closed so things didn't fly out while rolling down the highway.

One of the things I did that I really like was to add a keyed hasp lock to the camper door.  the lock pivots so that it will hold the door shut with or without actually locking it, but it can also be locked shut.  The hasp lock is about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the door, so that the door latch holds the top of the door in securely, and the hasp lock pulls the bottom of the door in.  (Remember, my camper is 35 yrs old, and things don't fit as tight as they used to! LOL!) The Hasp lock is actually bolted THROUGH the door and the wall of the camper so that the door can't be pried open easily.  

Not that I think my old patched up camper would be much of a target for theft - but we do plan on using it to also carry canoes at times, and it may be left in a parking lot, unattended overnight, while we are on the river with the canoes.  If someone really wants to break in - I'm sure they could, but the additional lock would make it a bit harder to do so.

Laura

1973 Starcraft starmaster 6  - a work in progress - http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/558473066XXMupb

Edited by - scoutermom on June 26 2008  00:49:47

Offline christate1970

• Star Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Replacing the lock
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:54:32 AM »
I replaced my coleman handle with a garage T handle. I had to mod the original cam to make it work with the new handle. Works great but required a decent amount of fabrication

2005 Kia Sorento
1980 Coleman

2015 - Valley of Fire Fall Rally