User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 1092
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Calman Trike and Pop-up
 Views: 224
Posted by Calman
Dec 02, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Tire Trouble Continues! Help! by AlsChopShop
[Today at 12:47:27 PM]

New Year's Camp With Returning Brother by Wayne In Florida
[Today at 12:42:15 PM]

Yummy! by Jayko
[Today at 12:28:39 PM]

Kingsford charcoal by Jayko
[Today at 12:27:36 PM]

Flat Tire- Jack Lifting Point by Jayko
[Today at 12:26:03 PM]

safety vest by swordfish
[Today at 12:25:15 PM]

longest day of the year by rob2218
[Today at 12:02:39 PM]

Do we really have to winterize our pop-up and quit camping in it??? by tenttrailer
[Today at 11:51:47 AM]

Is this an 'appropriate' tool?? by Wrenchgear
[Today at 11:45:49 AM]

Hello by yetavon
[Today at 11:22:25 AM]

What would you recommend we look for... by Ryanincc
[Today at 10:47:46 AM]

2015 Michigan Rally- 4th Annual - Holly Recreation Area by mamabean5
[Today at 10:42:49 AM]

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 1982 Jayco  (Read 7206 times)

Offline Millhouse

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:53:55 AM »
I guess I have many questions. I am looking to purchase a camper for the first time. Financially I am strapped right now. My girlfriend had two kids I spend a lot of time taking camping and fishing. Recently my buddy called and offered me a camper for $800. He says it has no leaks and new tires. Over all he says pretty nice. I'm getting more photos of indside tonight and my dad is going to look at it Saturday. I live 2 hours away, so my father will be checking it out. I guess I'm just looking for something to last a few years until I get settled in financially.

Below is a few pictures of exterior. Few questions.

The top of camper has some stains (most you see is just dirt to be washed off). How easily does the exterior clean up. I have a power wash. Any advice on this?

What should I (dad) look for after opening up? Seams,frayed stitching,holes,water damage. Please help me with this.

If everything looks solid, is this a good price?

Anything else I should know?

I really appreciate the help and glad to be a part of this forum.

I'll post photos of inside Saturday.

Offline Wannafishmore

• Camper, 1st Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:25:31 PM »
Look for soft spots on the floor.  Have it popped up, then look around the roof for any roof rot, that's an indicator of a leak.  If it has good bones, than it should be a good buy. I'd still try to get him to go a little lower on the price.

1991 Starcraft Starflyer
2001 Nissan Xterra
portabote
Days camped in 2007   4
Days camped in 2008   8

"Nobody notices what I do until I don't do it"

Offline Millhouse

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
Thanks for the info.

$800 seem a bit high??

The top of camper has some stains (most you see is just dirt to be washed off). How easily does the exterior clean up. I have a power wash. Any advice on this?

Anybody have any other pointers or advice. This Camper last me awhile (I know you never know for sure) or is just too old to take a chance on?

Offline PATracker

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »

The price seems ok, I guess.
For me it would be depending on the floor plan, whether or not it has a fridge or just an ice box, shape of the canvas, floor, roof, cushions, ect.
If your happy with it over all and think its worth 8 bills, then it is.

I would not power wash the roof. I would use simple green, a brush, and just the hose.

If everything is solid and you take care of it, it should last for a good while yet.

PopUp 98 Jayco eagle 12 UDK
Tow Vehicle 01 F-150 super crew w/cap.
PopUp Closed 95 Dutchmen 1003, Modification
Canoe 158 Old Town Discovery & 14' Radisson

Offline Millhouse

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »
Thanks for your reply/advice. Very helpful.

Is it a reasonable thought to put a fridge in it? It only has an ice box. Could I put a electric fridge in it?

Offline PATracker

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »

There is nothing wrong with having an ice box. Its just a built-in cooler. Me personally, I prefer a 3-way fridge.

You could add a electric fridge but then you need to camp where there are elec hook-ups.

PopUp 98 Jayco eagle 12 UDK
Tow Vehicle 01 F-150 super crew w/cap.
PopUp Closed 95 Dutchmen 1003, Modification
Canoe 158 Old Town Discovery & 14' Radisson

Offline Tekboy46

• Eagle Camper
    • OK [OK]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:27:07 PM »
I agree with PATracker... don't go near it with a power washer. Too much pressure will find it's way in seams and crevices. The cosmetic stuff can wait. You or your dad get inside with it popped up, open cabinets if you have to and check the floor corners where the lifts are; check for soft floor wood around the lifts. Poke under tile or linoleum if you can. Look for stains around the inside of the roof. Look for water stained panelling inside the main box including inside cabinets. Outside, the skins of these campers usually always looks good... what you're looking for is soft, rotted wood inside the roof or "lid". Push gently on the roof skin in on the front, back and sides with thumbs... it should feel solid. If you have a lot of flex and give in the aluminum skin and a soft "crunchy" sound when you push, any previous leaks have probably rotted the wood under the aluminum skin. Sometimes you won't hear a crunch and it will feel solid and still have rot issues, so you have to use your judgement. The latches that hold the top down should feel solidly mounted when you gently tug on them... if they flex and give much, the wood under them under the skin may be rotted. There is a pulley under the floor in each corner that guides the cables that raise the roof. Check for rust, binding, frayed cabling and general condition of these. I would chock the tailer tires really well, raise the tongue of the trailer, brace the front frame with solid jack stands for safety, then crawl underneath to check out general condition of the floor wood, frame, visible cables and pulleys, propane lines and everything underneath the camper. Get to the corners from underneath and check out that floor wood. Take a bright flashlight if you have to. Lower the tongue down low so you can get underneath and check visible cables and pulleys in the rear of the camper. Check the trailer light wires and connector. If I ever buy another popup, you will find me making all these checks at a minimum. Hopefully you will find no problems with these things and be able to hook up and go camping, but if you do, you have to figure how much you're willing to work on the camper. That being said, with enough thread searching and question asking, there isn't one single thing about a popup that can't be fixed with information from this forum, depending on how much of a "wrench" you are. On the cooler question, I took the old "ice box" out of my camper and put a porta potty in the space where it was. I put a little "dorm" type fridge on the countertop; it stows on the floor of the camper for towing and works fine for a budget fridge project. I'm sure some others will chime in with other things they think should be checked, but if it were me, I'd do these pre-purchase checks as a minimum checkout. Let us know what you decide!

1979 Starcraft Venture
1996 Ford F150 TV

Edited by - Tekboy46 on May 02 2008  17:30:49
Phil and Judy
2006 Crossroads Zinger 180 TT
1979 Starcraft PU: sold but not forgotten.

Offline armitech

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 09:53:22 AM »
It looks like the midseam has leaked and been sealed, so check for rotting end caps.  If the end caps have rotted, the roof will flex when raised, pulling the midseam from the aluminum skin, making it next to impossible to make it waterproof.  It will be a great summer camper, take a bucket with you to catch leaks if you get a storm.  I just sold my 1994 jayco 1406 for 650.  I would offer 500.  Cover it with a blue tarp in the winter, no worry's, Steve

steve crawford

Offline newbiecamper

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IA [IA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 03:26:42 PM »
When I got my PUP i used just dawn dish soap, hot water, and a one of the ose sponge things with the grteen scrubby on one side. Worked great. Roof didnt look real dirty till I washed it and realized how dirty it was. On the sides i would use simple green and one of those big sponges with the cover with all the holes in it( have no idea what they are called) but you can find them in walmart in automotive aisle.

http://community.webshots.com/user/newbiecamper
DH `71 - DW `73 - DS `88 - DD `91 - DS `96 - DS `00 - DD `03 - Buddy the Beagle
`91 Jayco 1006 deluxe
`98 Ranger
Nights camped in 2007= 11
'97 Camplite 2208S
'98 Ford Ranger 3.0ltr

Offline Millhouse

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:11:40 AM »
WOW!! Great help guys. Glad I came here. a lot of great info and you guys didn't type for no reason. I'm printing this as we speak and taking it with me. I want to make sure i follow this info. I'll keep you informed!

Thanks again,
Adam

Offline candleems

• Life Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 09:35:26 AM »
Raise the roof a foot or so and check the sides of the roof for flaking and rot. Once it's all the way up, you can't reach it anymore.

When checking in the cabinets, be sure the doors close properly. If they don't, is the frame warped? Could indicate the MDF sucking up water from a leak.

Barb '74, DH '63, DD '02
York, PA
2004 Kia Sedona, 1994 Jayco 1006ST
Barb '74, DH '63, DD '02
South Central PA
2010 Chevy Silverado, 1997 Jayco 1207KR

Offline Millhouse

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:57 AM »
The one corner has some holes it looks like. Those easily fixed or repaired? These pictures will give you better look at what i'm buying. What do you think for $700? My dad says it's solid. It needs some work on light, turn signal, etc wiring and a lot of elbow greese.

Under matress solid

Looks repaired, but very solid.

Edited by - Millhouse on May 08 2008  10:35:25

Offline Millhouse

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1982 Jayco
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 11:44:49 AM »
I guess I just want to know if this will be a good first camper and good buy. I am very handy and I know that will help with any future issues.

Another question.
Someone told me i can pick it up without tags. they told me I have 72 hours to get tags, but I must have BOS (bill of sale) and title. I am taking it 3 hours to my house. This true or I needs plates/30 day plates? I live in Ohio

Edited by - Millhouse on May 08 2008  11:45:06

Offline Yoti14

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
1982 Jayco
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »
MIllhouse, IT looks like it has some issues, but salvagable. On your last picture the rear lift arm looks bent. If it is I would be extremely leary of paying $800 for this unit on that alone. Then again it also would depend on how it cranks up and down. Those lift systems on Jaycos are a push system, so if it breaks you could still raise it with wood and help. If your gut tells you, you want it, offer $500 to $600. Think of it as your first car. Not much to look at, but something to learn on. Tongue

Not sure about the tags issue, in WI we're not required to tag our trailers. Smile Thank gawd too, it's outrageous to license anything in this tax-hole of a state.......

Tow Vehicle1997 Chevrolet Blazer ZR-2
PopUp1994 Jayco Eagle 10
Cold BeerPembroke Welsh Corgi Named Leinie Red
Sun9 Month old son named J.A.B.
2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali 2004 Jayco Jay Feather 18F
2 Pembroke Welsh Corgi's (Leinie Red & Badger)
1 5 year old son John Aeron

2015 - Ontario Summer Rally