User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Zoom Details 1
Lava Lake
 Views: 290
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.97
Posted by Twisty
Aug 16, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Views: 80
Posted by Richo73
Today
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

New to the forum by CampinMomma
[Today at 09:45:05 PM]

1994 Starcraft - need keys by Strut
[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

How far can you tow a popup? by Inthepink721
[Today at 09:41:44 PM]

Maryland Rally by BALTIBCAMPER
[Today at 09:40:54 PM]

2nd annual rally in the forest - Cooks forest state park by crosbys2008
[Today at 09:40:51 PM]

How on God's green earth does this stuff happen!? by Jflyboym
[Today at 09:39:00 PM]

Maiden Voyage by FL_Bill
[Today at 09:38:40 PM]

New from Belle River(Windsor), ON, Canada by Riddler
[Today at 09:35:39 PM]

So what did you do for your camper, sept 2014? by 3hooligans
[Today at 09:33:02 PM]

Pine Haven CG in Wentworth by msbrown253
[Today at 09:28:27 PM]

Water in bunk ends by tombiasi
[Today at 09:22:17 PM]

Bayley's Campground Pine Point, ME by kmaxxxx
[Today at 09:20:56 PM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Screens in Canvas  (Read 8520 times)

Offline trixiegirl

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Screens in Canvas
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:29:17 PM »
The canvas is in very good condition, however the screens on the end of the beds (not the canvas itself) need help. What can be done to replace those? Do you have to replace the canvas too? Or can you replace just the screens and is there an easy way to do it?

Offline Tekboy46

• Eagle Camper
    • OK [OK]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Screens in Canvas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
I haven't read about anyone sewing in new screens, but it could be done. You'd have to decide how much work you want to put into the project. Maybe someone who's tackled a screen replacement will post. Screen patches look like patches no matter how careful you are patching. Trimming out the old bad screen and sewing new screen in would be anything but easy, but most of the stuff we do to these campers is like that lol. I wouldn't replace the canvas for that kind of money if all that was wrong was the screens. Chime in if you tackle replacing the screens.

1979 Starcraft Venture
1996 Ford F150 TV

Edited by - Tekboy46 on May 06 2008  16:42:51
Phil and Judy
2006 Crossroads Zinger 180 TT
1979 Starcraft PU: sold but not forgotten.

Offline stcy69

• Tenderfoot
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Screens in Canvas
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »
I'd also like to know about patching a screen. We had mice this winter and two small holes in one of the screen,but not in the bunk area,the main front window.

1995 Coleman Fleetwood
1999 dodge ram 1500

Offline srds

• Star Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Screens in Canvas
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »
We were talking about how to do that on 97 coleman that a friend has,his wife plans on trying to see how bad it would be to open up seams.Thats a lot of sewing.I'll let you know when she tries.

me-49
dw 43
dd 13
ds 4
08 days camped-08
1995 coleman utah
1997 24' prowler

Offline ehcarmen

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • WEBSHOTS
Screens in Canvas
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »
I recently purchased a PU that had really shabby screens, and then DS continued to make them even worse after I set it up for the first time.

What I did was to go to Wally World, and get two rolls of the 36" fiberglas screen (about $5-$6 per roll) and a curved upholstery needle (the big one).

I cut out all the bad screening to within 1" or so of the canvas.  I then roughly measured the dimensions of the entire window, leaving a little to spare in either direction.  This is where it gets tricky.  I then safety pinned the new screen to the inside of the border of the old screen.  The only hint here is to make sure you keep the entire unit as tight as you can (BTW, make sure the PU is popped).  I then threaded the upholsters needle with fishing line (light test), and picked a point to begin.  I then did a double overlap stitch (thats what I call it), so basically, every section is double stitched.  Also, I kept it as close to the canvas edge as possible.

Then, once the new screen was in, I sent back and trimmed the old screen again to a length of about 1/4" - 1/2", leaving a little extra, just in case.

Then, I went into the inside of the PU and trimmed off the excess there as well.

This certainly isn't a permanent installation/fix, but I am hoping to replace the canvas within a year or so, and it will do for now.

Hope this helps.  It took a little patience, good lighting and about two hours for the entire job.  I would post pics, but you cant really see it....

Let me know if you hve any questions.  Thanks.

2001 Dodge Caravan
1985 Palomino CSX Hardsider
1970 Apache Ramada
2003 Yamaha Waverunner XLT 800
Pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna LE

Offline trixiegirl

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Screens in Canvas
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 01:24:18 AM »
That's actually what I was thinking of doing to replace the screens. Can you tell when you look at it that is what you did?

Offline ehcarmen

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • WEBSHOTS
Screens in Canvas
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »
Well, I can tell, but I'm not sure it would be painfully obvious to everyone else.  It all depends on how close to the canvas you get the stitching.  If you go right next to it, it is harder to see, further away, and it is more obvious.  Also, take the time to do the stitching as tight and close as possible.  There are a couple of questionable areas on mine where I got careless, and it is more obvious.

Like I said, not a permanent solution, but a great temporary fix.  we are not AVID campers, yet anyway, and for us, it is just fine.  Bugs stay out (which is the idea) and it looks pretty good.  

Let me know if you have any other questions and how it turns out!!

2001 Dodge Caravan
1985 Palomino CSX Hardsider
1970 Apache Ramada
2003 Yamaha Waverunner XLT 800
Pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna LE

Offline FtWildernessBound

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Screens in Canvas
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 11:49:43 AM »
Ehcarmen, I was thinking about doing this exact same thing, but I'm having trouble finding the right kind of screen material?  When you said you bought it on a roll - is it more like a type of screen you'd see on a real window?  I was thinking I'd need more of a fabric mesh-type of screen. I can't seem to find that locally, but I imagine its online somewhere. What section at Walmart did you find screening, and how much was on a roll?  Thanks!

Offline punkindad

• Camper, 1st Class
    • View Profile
Screens in Canvas
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 01:31:39 PM »
In addition to what ehcarmen did you can use seam sealer and coat the stitches to keep them from coming loose. I have used this to seal small( 1" or less) tears in my canvas.

Brian

Brian(the dad)-Still working on a perfect childhood!!"
Celia-12(the punkin)  
1976 Jayco Jayfinch(on steroids)
Still working on a perfect childhood!!
95 Range rover classic
93 Rockwood 1280XL

Offline Dusty82

• Eagle Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Album
Screens in Canvas
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 01:36:12 PM »
About the only thing I would add to this thread (no pun intended) is not to use monofilament fishing line. Monofilament fishing line is usually made of nylon, and while it is strong enough, nylon doesn't handle UV rays from the sun very well, and will deteriorate over time. This may or not be a problem down the road, depending on how often you use your PUP.

As a relatively new automotive upholsterer (2 years,) might I suggest #69 polyester upholstery thread (#69 is the thread thickness.) Polyester upholstery thread is what is used to sew the PUP canvas together, and is also used in boat, motorcycle, and automotive upholstery, because it better handles the UV exposure, and in most cases is stronger than the material being sewn. Contact a sewing machine shop in your area that sells or repairs industrial sewing machines. If they don't sell the thread, they can point you in the direction of someone who does. You might also try a local upholstery shop - they may have a small spool they'll sell (or even give) you.

PUP: 1975 Coleman Patriot

Pictures here: http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk116/dustyspup/

TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty

I'm so new, I don't even know enough to know what I don't know...

Edited by - Dusty82 on June 26 2008  06:18:39
Currently Pupless

2004 Jeep Liberty - "Ol' Broad" 1995 Chevy Silverado - "The Truck"

BedWedgiesâ„¢ Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.