User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 1079
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Calman Trike and Pop-up
 Views: 207
Posted by Calman
Dec 02, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Replacing the power center  (Read 9356 times)

Offline KC9ECI

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Replacing the power center
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:55:24 AM »
Hi all-

I just brought home a new (to me) 1995 Rockwood 1640.  Very plain little camper.  I like it.  It has a Magnetek 6406 power center.  It's frelled.  I'm looking at the Parallax 6730 and a WFCO 8955.  I know the 6730 will be a direct replacement as far as size goes.  I'm not finding a cut out dimension on the WFCO unit.  I don't imagnine that it would be bigger, and smaller isn't a problem as I'm a carpenter with access to a disgustingly expensice CNC router.  the camper only needs the 12V for 2 small lights that I'm going to upgrade to LED's and the heater.  Perhaps the water pump if it has a demand system like my boat, I haven't looked that far yet.  The WFCO is attractive to me for a couple of reasons.  First of all, the excess power availability would be enough to run the heater, the lights, and a 100 watt amateur radio and laptop.  Secondly, it claims to be filtered so as to not generate RFI.  

I can see the pros to installing the WFCO, including the price for which I can get one.  Can anyone think of any cons or issues that I need to be aware of that I'm just not seeing?  Thanks for the assist.

Offline ogeer3

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 11:19:45 AM »
I changed out my converter to a WFCO 8725 a year ago. It has 25A of filtered 12V output and one of the main things that I like about it is it has a built in 3-stage charger for the battery.

Happy Camping!
Otis

'05 Silverado TV   Tow Vehicle    
'03 Skamper PU     PopUp
Grand Prairie, TX  US Army POW/MIA
Otis
TV = '05 Silverado  |  PU = '03 Skamper
Grand Prairie, Texas

Offline Yoti14

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »
I Been doing the reserch on both of these power centers. From what I have gathered the Parallax is the better one in specs and price. It is a 30 amp, comes with the breakers, and is filtered 12V. The WFCO is only 25 amp, does NOT come with breakers so you have to spend $15 to $30 more, and everything else is the same as the Parallax. So from what I'm gathering, the WFCO on the surface appears cheaper, but in reality it's not. At least thats what I've been reading, and I've been looking a lot. It seems that the Parallax is the better buy and by the time you finish your only spending $10 more on it. It's always the extras that make a cheaper product not so cheap. Of course they both are better than mine, so either one would work for me.

Hope this helps.

Tow Vehicle1997 Chevrolet Blazer ZR-2
PopUp1994 Jayco Eagle 10
Cold BeerPembroke Welsh Corgi Named Leinie Red
Sun9 Month old son named J.A.B.
2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali 2004 Jayco Jay Feather 18F
2 Pembroke Welsh Corgi's (Leinie Red & Badger)
1 5 year old son John Aeron

Offline KC9ECI

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 01:31:28 PM »
Yoti, I think you and I are looking at different units.  Also, the one I'm looking at is used from a private party and he's asking $50.

I finally found some specs with hole dimension.

quote:
WFCO 8955ANP 55 Amp Power Center
Specifications:

UL, cUL and FCC Class B listed.

Two-year warranty

Model 8955, 55 Amps DC Output

Input: 105-120 VAC, 60 Hz, 12.0 Amps (950 Watt)

Output:  Nominal 13.6 VDC (Includes charging and load); Boost 14.4 VDC; Sleep 13.2 VDC

Dimensions: 13-7/8 wide; 11-9/16 high; 9 deep.

Mounting cut-out: 12 wide, 11 high.

Shipping Weight: 10 lbs

https://bestconverter.com/WFCO-8955-ANP-55-Amp-_p_65-53.html

Offline Yoti14

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »
YYeah KC9ECI I was looking at WFCO that Ooger mentioned. So thats where my comparison was coming from. $50 huh? I wish I could find a deal like that. Thats a pretty beefy power center, I would totally snag that up.

On a side note, where in Wisconsin do you Hail from? I'm on the southside of Milwaukee.

Jeff

PopUp1994 Jayco Eagle 10

Offline Xolthrax

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • The Home Page for Evil
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 02:39:19 PM »
I hate computers.  I just typed out a long & detailed answer to this, and there was an error when I tried to post it.  POOF... gone into the ether.

Anyway,  I recently upgraded from a Magnetek 6620 to a Parallax 6730.  By the time you add the breakers to the WFCO, you're looking at at least a $100 difference in price.  I paid $129 from RV Power Parts Plus.  They were great people to deal with, too.

I can't see why anyone would need 55 amps.  I run a furnace, water pump, lights, inverter, and 2 audio amps (with a sub), laptop, etc.  30amps is more than satisfactory for that.

Joe

PopUp'96 Rockwood Signature Series 1280
Tow Vehicle'07 Ford Explorer

Wherever you go, there you are.
Joe
[PU]'96 Rockwood Signature Series 1280 [TV]'07 Ford Explorer
Wherever you go, there you are.  Gilwell Troop 1 (Owl Patrol)

Offline KC9ECI

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »
Yoti, I'm just North of LaCrosse.  Small town called Galesville.  Not too far from where the Medflight crashed last night.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline Erwin

• Star Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Camping Page
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
KC0ECI,
If you can get the WFCO 8955 with breakers for $50 go for it. It will be WAY more than you will ever need but you can't beat the price. Normally you find converters that size in large TTs and motorhomes. If I could not find a deal like you have I would go with the 6730. I got a WFCO 8725 last fall. The only thing I can complain about is that, if you wire it as per the manual, there is no real "master" circuit breaker.(that is to say if you flip 1 breaker the whole AC system is powered down.)It CAN be made to have a main but you have to be a little creative with how you wire up the shore power
I can't find a schematic for the PP6730 but in the pictures it does have a "main" breaker.
BTW looking at the schematic for the WFCO, it also does have a "main"

Let's go camping!!
02 Starcraft Constellation Apollo
07 Chevy Trailblazer

Offline KC9ECI

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 06:10:10 PM »
You guys talked me in to it.  I decided to go with the 6730.  It's less power supply than I wanted to use, but for a grand total of $138, I get new, a wiring diagram, and a warrenty.  Sometimes its worth paying a little more.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline Erwin

• Star Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Camping Page
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »
KC9ECI,
It may be less that than you wanted but I'm pretty sure it's more than you will need.

If you are in one of the groups in your signature, let me say THANK YOU for your services!

Me
DW
2 DS
2 SD (silly dogs)
92 Rockwood XL1280
03 Chevy Venture

Edited by - Erwin on May 11 2008  18:31:50
07 Chevy Trailblazer

Offline KC9ECI

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 06:38:16 PM »
Erwin-

If I run 100 watts with my ham radio, I need 20 amps just for that.  I don't often run that much power though, normally I run what they term QRP and that means 5 watt output, so the 6730 will do me and if I need more wattage, I can do as I've done in the past and use a generator/shoreline current and my Alinco power supply.  

As to my sig line, I've been a volunteer hosegrunt since 1992.

Offline Erwin

• Star Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Camping Page
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »
KC9ECI,
My Father in Law is a Ham. Call letters W2UAD. Give him a shout sometime. (if that's what you call it :-) )I don't know when he is normally on.

If you ever do any dry camping (no hookups),with the radio, I don't think the battery would last too long, 20 amps is a heck of a power draw.

Me
DW
2 DS
2 SD (silly dogs)
92 Rockwood XL1280
03 Chevy Venture
07 Chevy Trailblazer

Offline Micksc

• Camper, 1st Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 08:09:42 PM »
quote:

LMAO! Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet. Fire Service motto.
Our other motto, above the apparatus bay door, "you have to go out. You don't have to come back, but you have to go out." Stolen from the U.S. Coast Guard! Lex. Co. SC FS Sta 17
Mick

Me'42
DW'42
00 Coleman Cheyenne
04 Iszusu Ascender
Mick
2011 Silverado
2003 Aerolite C214

Offline KC9ECI

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »
FYI, I ordered my 6730 from RV Power Parts Plus Sunday evening, and it was sitting on my doorstep when I came home from work this afternoon.  I had to enlarge the cutout to make it fit, but I have it mounted now.  I need to go to Menards tomorrow and get some strain reliefs and wire nuts and do the wiring Friday.

Offline Yoti14

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »
How much did they charge you for shipping, if you don't mind my asking?

PopUp1994 Jayco Eagle 10

PopUpGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)