User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 351
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Nighttime Camper
 Views: 70
Posted by ktsmom
Apr 15, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

First post, not good! by oobray
[Today at 08:22:26 PM]

The Music Game by Bullfrog Bheer
[Today at 08:19:09 PM]

Has anyone heard from Unstable_Tripod ? by speckhunter80
[Today at 08:09:52 PM]

Going vintage by smadeen
[Today at 08:09:44 PM]

2014 Midwest Halloween Rally by BroPaul N The Cakelady
[Today at 08:07:24 PM]

Finished the Slipcovers for the Cushions by needjava
[Today at 08:03:13 PM]

any 'preferred' method to bunk end canvas folding? by SmilinBeard
[Today at 08:02:36 PM]

Raffle by dguthery
[Today at 07:58:04 PM]

First time pop up owner with issues by buckman1973
[Today at 07:53:45 PM]

2014 - Texas Puppers Fall Rally by bigronw1955
[Today at 07:52:36 PM]

Sleeping bag or full bedding? by Adam Roby
[Today at 07:49:43 PM]

WooHoo by Bigpopper
[Today at 07:48:25 PM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: DESPARATE NEWBIE of 1976 rockwood  (Read 7735 times)

Offline hinton

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
DESPARATE NEWBIE of 1976 rockwood
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »
Hello Everyone,
   Was wondering If I could get some help!!!!! I purchased a 1976 rockwood that had many issues never revealed upon sale. Learning the hard way.
   We used the camper twice and now the front will crank up but the back won't. Last time out while closing it down the back fell during take down and we were stuck with towing home one side not completely closed.
    The title says 1976 ROCKWOOD with vin# C68060252, however on the door side of the camper it reads "Minnie Winnie". Has been painted from it's original color of white.
    The back support bars completely came loose from the top due to rotten wood that wasn't revealed to us. Ok we repaired that. Now we aren't sure where to go. We feel the crank still works because the front bars will go up and down but the back just remains up. Not sure if there are pulleys or chains which can be accessed and if so whether they are enclosed by the outside housing or underneath. Any help or direction you can provide will be appreciative. We have are DESPARATE campers and want any help that can be given. If it would help to see pics of the camper I will be more than happy to provide.
   Again thanks for you time and advice in advance.

IN DESPARATE NEED OF HELP FROM KENTUCKY,
KARA

Offline Digger

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics Website
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:05:40 AM »
Welcome to the Portal Kara!

Sorry you're having to deal with the lift system issues.  If you are able to get some pictures of the camper, paying close attention to the lift system, It'll help folks around here get a better idea how to help.

Take a look at this manual...while it is probably not exactly like your lift system, it may give you a basic idea how this common type works.  Check to see if yours resembles this one in any way...and then come back ane let us know how it looks....

'Minnie Winnie' on the side is likely a nickname given to the camper by a previous owner.  Winnebago made a Minnie Winnie, but not Rockwood (as far as I can tell)....probably a nickname with a wink.

~Cheers~

igger
2004 Fleetwood Westlake - StonyBlue
2002 Econoline E-150

Edited by - Digger on May 21 2008  00:06:24
~Cheers~  igger
'04 Fleetwood Westlake (StonyBlue)/'02 Ford E-150
Nites camped: 2007-8, 2008-39, 2009-50 (camped every month), 2010-14, 2011-14

Offline hinton

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:20:35 AM »
The Minnie Winnie is actually silve plated on the side of the camper next to the door like it was manufacturered there?????

Offline Digger

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics Website
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:46 AM »
Could be....stranger things have happened!  Especially with RV manufacturers Sarcastic

~Cheers~

igger
2004 Fleetwood Westlake - StonyBlue
2002 Econoline E-150
~Cheers~  igger
'04 Fleetwood Westlake (StonyBlue)/'02 Ford E-150
Nites camped: 2007-8, 2008-39, 2009-50 (camped every month), 2010-14, 2011-14

Offline Xolthrax

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • The Home Page for Evil
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:49:57 AM »
Minnie Winnie is a line of small Winnebagoes.  I highly doubt that Rockwood would have been able to get away with that name without a copyright infringement suit.  More than likely a previous owner thought it was cute and put it on there.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.  If you have to access the rear lift assembly, that probably means removing cabinets.

Joe

PopUp'96 Rockwood Signature Series 1280
Tow Vehicle'07 Ford Explorer

Wherever you go, there you are.
Joe
[PU]'96 Rockwood Signature Series 1280 [TV]'07 Ford Explorer
Wherever you go, there you are.  Gilwell Troop 1 (Owl Patrol)

Offline volkster

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 02:00:22 PM »
Kara-

If it is indeed a Rockwood, the lift system is somewhat unique.

It sounds like one of your rear lift springs has locked up or twisted.

I just sent you an email. Mail back to me and I will send you an attachment with the Rockwood lift system diagram.

It is a fairly simple system, but not easy to get to without tearing out some paneling.

Chris 1975, Tiphanie 1977, Reagan 2006, and Kaley the wonder Yorkie.

1984 Rockwood 1206 towed by... whatever vehicle we decide to take.
Volkster

Offline Xolthrax

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • The Home Page for Evil
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 04:40:17 PM »
It all depends upon which lift system your camper utilizes.  Some Rockwoods have standard cable operated systems, and some have a chain, gear, & rod system (like mine).  To the best of my knowledge, that system is unique to Rockwood.

If you have the non-cable system, then I would guess that the chain that drives the shaft to the rear lift assembly either broke or came off.  Or the chain on the rear of that shaft that connects to the rear system broke or came off.  Sorry if this sounds confusing, but it's hard to explain.  Maybe a picture will help:

That is the lift system in the front of the camper at the crank.  You can see the crank handle going out through the hole in the wall.  As you can see, when you turn the crank, you are turning those various sprockets.  The black rods push the springs up in to the lifter arms to make the roof go up.

If you look at the chain that goes down through the floor, it is connected to a shaft that runs all the way to the back of the camper.  In back, it has a chain that comes back up through the floor and connects to a very similar lift mechanism for the rear.  That shaft is what connects the crank to the rear lift system.  If the chain on either end is off or broken, then all of the cranking in the world won't have any effect on the rear.  That would also explain why it fell.  Believe it or not, the only thing holding the whole shebang up is the friction on the clutch in the crank.  Once the rear became disconnected from the crank, there was nothing to hold it up anymore.

On older Rockwoods, that shaft was inside the camper along the driver's side wall, not under the floor.

BTW, the corner roof rot seems to be a common theme for older Rockwoods.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Joe

Joe

Offline hinton

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:32:26 PM »
Thanks for the information!!!

We are still working on the camper. The picture about looks just like ours. However the above picture is below our front driver bunk inside a foot paneling(kinda like a small step). They we have a long rod that goes down the side of the camper kinda behind the sind and stove cabinet. I not sure if this will help anyone to tell me what my problem is or where to start. The camper is at my 89 year old uncle's (should I mention he doesnt act a day over 50) who is bound and determined to fix it. I am going down there on Monday with all the information you all have provided me to try and begin working on it. So the more you all can provide me the better. This portal has been so helpful and I cant begin to say thankyou enough.

In response to whether it is a winnebago or a rockwood I havent determined. I talked with jerry Haas at rockwood and he says he wasnt aware of any brand name minnie winnie made by them in the 1970's but he did send me a model that looks just like ours. So my search continues I am going to call Winnebago tomorrow and see if they have any insight. I did receive the serial number of 1537900 of the camper if that will help anyone or point me in a different direction.

Again thank you cannot begin to express my thoughts,
Kara

Offline hinton

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:36:39 PM »

Edited by - hinton on May 22 2008  21:39:18

Here is a picture of the outside of the camper with the "Minnie Winnie logo just to the left of the door. Not sure if this will help anyone.

The crank is just inside the door to the right on the floor behind that step like panel compartment(not sure if that will describe it)

Edited by - hinton on May 22 2008  21:41:20

Offline Xolthrax

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • The Home Page for Evil
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »
IMHO, that's a Rockowood.  The "Minnie Winnie" is just another owmers's inside joke.

As I said, there must be a breek
 betwee the front lift asembly and the rear.  Find that break, and you'll find your problem.

Joe

Joe

Offline rmassing

• Camper, 1st Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »
Sounds like the linkage bar behind your sink has separated from the rear lift system.  If you can see the rear linkage check the linkage bar and the chain.  Either one would cause the rear set to fail.  You will need someone outside turning the crank so you can see where it has become disconnected.

DH RobertTongue
DW SherryBlush
DD Jessica 12
DD Samantha 9
DS William 6
1995 Merc VillagerTow Vehicle
1992 Palomino FillyPopUp
Nights Camped
2007= 35
2008= 4
Robert, Sherry, Jessica(DD), Samantha(DD), William(DS)
2002 Ford Expedition[TV], 1992 Palomino Filly[PU]

Offline Xolthrax

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • The Home Page for Evil
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 07:49:13 AM »
There are really only two places for it to become disconnected: the front chain or the rear chain.

Joe

Joe

Offline aaronstottle

• Tenderfoot
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 11:03:28 PM »
Hello!
A newbie here... I would definitely say that the rear chain has snapped. I just finished repairing the chain on the front of mine. It is a 1989 with the old-style shaft above the floor. It was at least a week and a half to get it fixed, using a bicycle chain from Walmart (stronger than original equipment) It is a number 40 size chain, and it is a pain to get at with the top down. I had to use a hand grinder and cut an access hole in the chain tube, which I then covered after completion with some 16 gauge sheet metal. It was the only way I could get the chain back on. If I can offer any help, let me know...

Offline vnconn

• Star Camper
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 11:34:55 PM »
Kara, I can't help with your lift problem but that is a neat looking camper you've got there!  Cute kid too :)

Valerie
DH-Eliot
Dmuts-Red & Rowdy
Dcats-Zima & Rio
Tow Vehicle -'04 Dakota Quad Cab
PopUp -'98 Jayco Eagle-SOLD
 TT - '03 Trail-Lite 8304S
http://community.webshots.com/user/valconn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/conn_photography/
"A rainy day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Offline hinton

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 06:09:10 AM »
Thanks to all the help of this portal we located the problem.....
  The front crank chain was fine, so we followed the extension bar behind the sink through the storage cabinet under the off door dinette seat, removed the back panelelling and found the back chain had slipped off the teeth. It appears to be like a old bike chain driven system. The top small gear we can get on. However the back has slipped off moving it to the inside. So when trying to get it back underneath the bottom teeth to crasp the chain there isnt enough room. (Not sure if this will give anyone a description of my problem) We havent removed the entire back panel under the actual table yet but we may have too. If you all have any suggestion as to how it would be easiest to get that chain back underneath the large end it would be appreciated.
I can't begin to say thank you enough for all the help on this portal which lead me to the problem. Camper's are truly friends throughout the world and I found internet contacts that will last a lifetime here on this portal!!

Sincerely,
Kara

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.