User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Fall Camping
Fall Camping at Algonac State Park (Wagon Wheel Campsite #368) October 4th 2013.
 Views: 68
Posted by lazydays
Apr 19, 2014
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

FL camping trip March 2014 001
 Views: 64
Posted by woodosgood
Mar 31, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Tow vehicles with good gas mileage?  (Read 8856 times)

Offline Martinfamily3

• Camper, 1st Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Tow vehicles with good gas mileage?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 08:14:57 PM »
We have a 2000 Dodge Durango and we get 18mpg when towing.

Nothing left to do but smile,smile,smile!

Offline coleman83

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 06:18:30 PM »
I have a 2005 chrysler town & country 3.3 liter v6 by itself 30 hwy 27 city with the pop up we get around 26.4

Offline jwolfe01

• Life Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 07:59:29 PM »
rmassing, I have to disagree with you on that. Ford and Chevy are notorious for over rating their towing ability. The reason why you see such a difference in "towing capacity" between some Chryslers and comparable Ford and Chevys is that Chrysler under rates their towing capabilities because some people see the advertised capacity and then overload it. Ford and Chevy will tell you what the very top limit is. For example, Chevy and GMC offer a 1/2 ton pickup with the "Vortech Max" in it that they rate for a 10,500lb capacity. Anyone that would tow that with a 1/2 ton frame and brakes is insane and unsafe. My brother in law bought one and it didnt tow his 9,000lb boat for squat, way worse that the 3/4 ton Avalanche he traded in. The frame and brakes are just as, if not more important while towing than the drive train. Just my 2cents though...

TV - 03 Dodge Durango 
Reese WDH / Husky Sway Bar / Tekonsha Prodigy P3
Camper - 99 Sun-Lite 245RK SL

Offline JamesRL

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 08:57:11 AM »
The new Dodge Journey is rated for 3500 lbs(for the V6) and is available with a factory sway control if I read it correctly.

Its got the 3.5 litre engine, fair amount of power. Its a crossover but really a minivan without sliders.

James

1976 Lionel (model name?)
2002 Mazda MPV
Wife/3 Kids/Black Lab
James (61), DS (94), DD (95), DD(97)
1991 Coleman Roanoke Royale
2007 Pontiac Montana SV6

Offline TJ

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 11:00:33 AM »
Coleman83...how in the world are you getting those kind of mpg numbers?  I just went to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm to look up your car and that site states the 2005 Town & Country 3.3lit gets 17city 24hwy with a combined 19mpg.  Actual users are getting an avg 18.3.  How are you able to get 26.4 while towing a trailer?  I'm not questioning that you are getting that mileage, I just want to know your tricks for fuel economy.  I own a Mercury Mariner Hybrid and I'm always trying new tricks for getting maximum mpg.

Thanks,

Tom

2007 Rockwood 1980 PUP
2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Offline coleman83

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 11:35:01 AM »
All I do is keep it tuned up tires inflation checked once or twice a month and when pulling I normally stick to highways no so much stop and go the hills are normally not as steep and the curves not as bad. Everybody I know that owns either the chrysler t&c like mine the voyager or the grand caravan, caravan with 3.3 is getting the same milage as me and a friend of mine went to the mountains no long ago not towing anything just a load of kids and she got right at 32 going and 35 coming back. I have had people tell me to run high test and it would get better milage to me I stick with the cheap stuff. Maybe it has something to do with chrysler switching this engine to 5 weight motor oil

Offline volkster

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 11:35:48 AM »
According to YellowKayak's criteria, I think I win!

To me good gas mileage is close to what your vehicle gets without towing.

My 1982 Ford F250 4x4, "The Big Ugly", normally gets 9 mpg in the city and 9 mpg on the highway.

As far as I can measure, when I am towing the pup or the ski boat, it gets 9 mpg in the city and 9 mpg on the highway.

Chris 1975, Tiphanie 1977, Reagan 2006, and Kaley the wonder Yorkie.

1984 Rockwood 1206 towed by... whatever vehicle we decide to take.
Volkster

Offline coleman83

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
Hey checked that web site don't know where they got their numbers but I do wonder if that is the extended version or the short like mine which will knock off a few pounds

Offline fallsrider

• Eagle Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 12:28:45 PM »
Coleman83, I don't want to come across as rude, because that is certainly not my intention. Please don't interpret this that way. I must ask, though, how do you measure your gas mileage? If you are going by the trip computer, you can throw those numbers out the window. They are notoriously inaccurate. The only way to measure gas mileage is to measure actual gallons used between fill ups compared to the miles driven. And even that is suspect because odometers are not always accurate, either.

I say this because there is no way any V6 minivan will get the mileage you are reporting. Our Sienna has the highest rated mileage of any V6 minivan, and the Honda is right there with it. 26-27 is a good average for highway non-towing. We get around 17-18 while towing.

Again, please don't be upset with me. I'm not trying to be confrontational. But reality is reality. I look forward to your response.

'04 Toyota Sienna LE
'98 Jayco Eagle 10 UD
'05 Suburban 1500 2WD
'95 Sunnybrook 26 DB TT

Offline coleman83

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »
how am I getting it I don't know but like I said most people I know who have mini vans in this line up are getting the same milage I am maybe it's because I have the short wheel base and I only chose options on this mini van that I knew I would actually use no all that other mess they offer. I have had several people check my math on figuring the milage and they get the same results I come up with, I have even asked the mechanic at the dealership we always used his response ( boy shut up and don't look a gift horse in the mouth just drive it) so thats what I do. I have had several people also check their odometers against mine on trips and it's always been correct. So long story short I just drive it!

Offline coleman83

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 02:12:55 PM »
By the way I should have added don't believe everything the government puts out because there is always an exception. And we all know they never get all the facts straight.

Offline TJ

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 10:15:12 AM »
Coleman83:  I'm with your mechanic "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".  You are very lucky in these days of $4/gal gas to have such a fuel efficient minivan.  Make sure you take care of it because they don't make em' like that anymore!  My wife drove an 04' Sienna and we would get ~29 or 30mpg on long road trips....but around town she would only avg 16 or 17mpg.  After my boys (4&6) could switch to a booster seat, we traded it in for a used/certified Prius and we are very comfortable in it.

Tom

2007 Rockwood 1980 PUP
2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Offline coleman83

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
TJ I am very paranoid on maintinance I have a 96 ram 1500 with lousy gas milage thats why it's as old as it is and only has 70,000 on it and it just flipped that this past weekend while we were getting up hay and the rest of yall got to go camping.

Offline Newell

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »
I am with Volkster...

I have 03' F350 Crewcab Long Bed.  I get 18 highway.  (I know, overkill for the pup..  But, I use it for other items as well).

Offline FtWildernessBound

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »
Wow, lots of replies - thanks!  I have a feeling we'll end up doing some kind of mini-van (used) - looks like according to my research, the Dodge/Chrysler seem to get better mileage than the Fords. I'll look into the Jeep Liberty, too. Although, I thought that was about the same size as my current car, a Honda CRV, which is only rated to tow 1000 lbs. Anybody drive a Honda Pilot?  I have a friend who might give me a deal on her 4 year old model, so that's an option.