User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 677
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

stored for winter
Well folks, we put the camper away until next year.  So, the plan is to save money this winter and come spring be able to finish it in one go.  We want to camp in it next summer.  I just recently found out that a friend of mine has an old Jayco pop-up that he wants to restore.  My wife chuckled that…
 Views: 217
Posted by mark.w.mn
Oct 11, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Bear Creek Canvas
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: How does shower potty combo work ?  (Read 3784 times)

Offline luv2camp1972

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
How does shower potty combo work ?
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:46:14 AM »
Okay...so we got tired of trying to find a used pop up at this time of the year..so we are going to see a new one on Thursday...2008 Starcraft 2406, here is my question...We are use to camping in a travel trailer with my parents, and I know how the tanks work in it, but I have no idea how they work in a pop up.  I would like to know how the toilet and shower work as far as the grey and black water tanks go? How do you dump them? Capacity? We will just use the toilet for nights and I am concerned about the capacity of the black water tank...when sewer is not available Thanks!!!

Brent & Laura in Georgia
1 Daughter & 3 Camping Dogs

'07 Jeep Commander Jeep
Shopping for a Pop Up Newspaper

Offline Digger

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics Website
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:48:50 AM »
Welcome to the Portal Brent & Laura!

I didn't see the Starcraft 2406 on their website, but I looked at a 2409.  Presuming they are similar....if the potty is a Thetford Cassette toilet (which it looks like in the pictures) you don't have a black or grey water tank, per se.  The Cassette potties have a removable 3 gallon tank that you hand carry to a dump station, or the bathhouse, and empty.  Sounds really iffy, but it is a relatively clean process.  The tank has a long, rotating dump spigot that makes it easy to dump.

Gray water is routed to an outside drain that must be hooked into some kind of portable collection tank, again disposed of in an appropriate manner.  A few Popups have a onboard gray water tank, and a couple have a true black water tank...but looking at the 2409, that doesn't seem to be the case.  A little inconvenient, but not too bad.....

~Cheers~ igger
2004 Fleetwood Westlake - StonyBlue
2002 Econoline E-150
~Cheers~  igger
'04 Fleetwood Westlake (StonyBlue)/'02 Ford E-150
Nites camped: 2007-8, 2008-39, 2009-50 (camped every month), 2010-14, 2011-14

Offline NYgranny

• Eagle Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »
We have a 2004 2409, and Digger is right on! You would need to collect the gray water from the shower as you do from the sink drain. We usually camp in parks with shower facilities, and don't use our shower. The Thretford cassette toilet we use mostly for middle-of-the-night liquid waste. DH does the dumping. He says it's not difficult or messy. You don't open the vent on the tank until you're ready to dump, so there is no spilling or odor.

Barb

GRAMMY (me) '48
DH '49
'04 Starcraft2409
Let's go camping!
Barb

Offline becasunshine

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
I would say they work very well.  Smile

As far as capacity goes:

We use a 15 gallon wheelie gray water tote, and we dump it once a day.  

Sometimes I wish we'd gotten a larger gray water tote, but so far so good.  I often shower in our PUP.  We prepare and clean up from at least two meals a day.  I guess emptying a 15 gallon gray water container once a day in light of that usage isn't bad.  In addition, we aren't trying to store or haul a huge gray water tank.

We've hit "full" on our Thetford cassette toilet twice, both times during a 10 day trip. The little red light has come on saying that, for our cassette, we have about 3 more uses.

Of course, both times the indicator light came on in the wee hours of the morning.

On the first occasion we were able to empty the cassette early the next day without further usage.

On the second occasion I did use the cassette once more before we emptied it.

Incidentally we *use* our cassette.  I do not discriminate between "waste."  

That's probably too much information but there is a reason why I share:  

We've not had any problems with odors, and the Thetford chemicals dissolve all of the waste into a lovely blue non-smelly liquid that easily empties at the dump station.

We do use RV toilet paper.

That being said, it's just Husband and me using the cassette.  If we had a family or a large group camping we'd use the campground's bathroom facilities, just like we still do when we tent camp.

We also use the campground's bathroom and shower facilities intermittently when we camp in the PUP.  

It's really nice to have that choice, though- if the bath house is crowded, or has seen a *really busy* day, or the staff just hasn't gotten there yet, it's nice to have your own facilities.

You might want to stash a box of disposable latex or similar gloves in your PUP to use when working at the dump station.

Cleaning the "shoilet," as we call it, couldn't be easier.  Wipe down with a soapy paper towel, appropriate sponge or cloth and rinse the whole thing down with hot water from the shower handle.  Wipe dry with a towel before stowing to mitigate moisture problems in the folded PUP.

Him/Her Late Boomer Vintage
Two Wonderful Sons, Grown and Out!
One Non-Camping Cat
2007 Fleetwood Rio "Matilda" PopUp
2004 Toyota 4Runner "Joey 2" Tow Vehicle

Edited by - becasunshine on June 11 2008  17:13:19

Offline luv2camp1972

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:06:38 PM »
Thank you all so much for your information...it was really helpful!  I loved all the details and ideas.  It has been a long time since we have camped in a pu, we have been camping on the dark side...in my parents Starcraft Hybrid and then their 30 foot Sunnybrook for several years now...going to be fun to "really camp"  We went and looked at the camper today.  We will PICK IT UP TOMORROW!!!  Yipee!  I loved it!  They are putting the a/c on it tomorrow, and then they give you "camper" lessons...they go over every tiny detail of the camper with you.  Had to have a/c camping in 95 degree weather in GA...taking her out on Friday for her maiden voyage.  We are going to one of our camping club's annual rally at FDR state park, it is one of my favorite parks.  I can't wait!!  Thanks again, ya'll are great!

Brent & Laura in Georgia
1 Daughter & 3 Camping Dogs

'07 Jeep Commander Jeep
Shopping for a Pop Up Newspaper

Edited by - luv2camp1972 on June 11 2008  23:18:50

Offline Digger

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics Website
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:35:46 PM »
Congrats!  Enjoy FDR park...I camped there last August...the park was nearly empty (after school started?)...and it was easily 95, and all we had was 2 fans....was pretty uncomfortable...but a beautiful park!

~Cheers~ igger
2004 Fleetwood Westlake - StonyBlue
2002 Econoline E-150
~Cheers~  igger

Offline luv2camp1972

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:25:32 AM »
Thanks Digger!  The last time we camped there it was in April...and CHILLY!  So, this is going to be a different story.  Once again, thanks for the advice!

Brent('73) & Laura ('72)
1 DD ('97) & 3 Camping Dogs
2008 Starcraft 2406PopUp2007 Jeep CommanderJeep

Offline PattieAM

• Life Camper
    • MD [MD]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:48 AM »
Enjoy Camp Driveway first so you can stock your PUP with the essentials (cooking/eating/bathing/bedding), and get to know your PUP and it's amenities.

When you are at the dealership, have them demonstrate/show you everything....and, find the applicable owners guide and go through it while doing the set up, etc.

You might even get the dealership to kick in the 4 wheel chocks, sewer hose, white water hose, pressure regulator, leveling blocks/level. (My dealer kicked in a 'starter' package of water hose, sewer hose and chemicals). **they might even discount a 'tote'!

If you can't get the freebies....Walmart carries them in their camping/RV section and the prices are lower than most other places.

Offline twolarsons

• Camper, 1st Class
    • SC [SC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »
My PU has a combo shower/toilet that works the same way larger RVs do, with a black tank and a gray tank. This is not a cassette toilet. It's a 9 gallon black and 15 gallon gray and it empties just like the big boys do. Hook up the sewer line at the dump station. Pull the release for the black tank first, then pull the release for the gray tank. Drop in a few drops of "anti-stink" tank treatment in the toilet everytime you set up and you won't have a problem.

Eric
'07 Fleetwood Highlander Avalon
'05 GMC Sierra 1500HD CrewCab
'07 GMC Envoy
Our Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/TwoLarsons
Eric
[PU] '07 Fleetwood Avalon
[TV] '15 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Offline Luv2ridebikes

• Eagle Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 07:58:36 AM »
We have the portable gray water tank (25 gallon) and a 6 gallon cassette porta potty.  I like the combination.  The dealer talked us into the 25 gallon instead of 15 gallon and I am glad he did.  We just finished a week of camping.  DW and I use the shower each day and normal sink usage.  I dumped the gray water tank 3 times, but really only needed to twice.  I dumped once just to keep the weight down. I was walking the tank down to the dump station.  

I had to dump the cassette about 5 days into the trip.  We use it mostly morning and night, but aren't hesitant to use it during the day.  We use it for liquid only.

I like the fact that the gray water tank is ready to roll at any time and I prefer the cassette because I can  remove and carry it to the dump station or empty in a toilet even.  The problem with the smaller tanks built into some pop ups is that you may have to transfer fluid to a portable tank unless you want to take down the pop up if the tank fills before your trip is over.  Those tanks will be fine for a weekend trip, but iffy for a week long venture.  

You can restrict usage to preserve the tank capacity, but we chose to buy a camper with those features so we could use them.

Steve & Deb (boys are grown & gone)
Aspen & Riley (the 4 legged children)
05 Fleetwood Sequoia & lot's of bikes! BicycleBicycle
Steve and Deb
Aspen- our four legged offspring
2005 Sequoia towed by an 04 Ext Trailblazer and lots of bikes

Offline campingcleatus

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »
Digger, I noticed you said that you empty the container at the dump station or the bath house.  Do you mean just flush it down one of the toilets in the bath house?  I have the cassette style potty, and always dump it at the dump station.  It would be easier and quicker to just empty it at the bath house instead, but I figured that would just creep everyone out in the bath house, and I've never seen other people empty theirs in the bath house either.  Is that OK to do?  If it is then that's what I gonna start doing.  I camped this weekend at a campground by the Kentucky Speedway, and the dump station was a mile long.  I just pulled up to next of one of the many porta-lets and just dumped it in there.

Andy

me
DW
DD '02
Sebastian the Yorkshire terrier '96
Bo the GoldenDoodle- '04
'00 Chevy Silverado
'99 Palomino Mustang SC
www.ridgerunnernation.com
Andy
1999 Palomino Mustang SC
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD

Offline rarin 2 go

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »
We have used porti potties for years when winter camping and they are easy to use and empty. When done properly you will not mess up a flush toilet in the bath house at all.

Trixson and Terri Stables
TnT from Tennessee

Offline Digger

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics Website
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 09:34:48 PM »
Andy, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.. I was gone last weekend!

Personally, I haven't dumped the cassette at the bathhouse, though many here say they do.  I have actually only used the cassette on one trip, and used the dump station.  I have dumped my gray water in an outside bathhouse dish washing sink, otherwise I have used the dump station for that too.  Some CGs I've been to have gray water dumps ("dry wells") located here and there throughout the CG...that is a wonderful feature that I wish more CGs would adopt.

~Cheers~ igger
2008 nights camping: PUP - 13
~Cheers~  igger

Offline luv2camp1972

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 10:58:59 AM »
Thanks for all the responses!  We did not driveway camp before we took her out...though I highly recommend this for people who do not camp in any sort of RV on a regular basis...but we have been travel trailer camping with my parents for about 5 years.  We did not get to our destination until 9:45...fun setting up a pup for the first time in the dark!!! And we forgot trash bags and a lighter!!  But, we were with a camping club that we belong to who have many seasoned campers (who started out with pups) who picked up our slack! Wink

We bought our pup from Peco in Georgia, they are great!!  When you pick up your camper, they set up an appointment and go over every tiny detail...pop it up...etc...took about an hour for the lessons...they did give us fresh water hose and other accessories, this is just the norm with them...this is the 4th camper my family has purchased from them and it is always the same.

About the cassette potty, sewage etc...my parents had a blue tank for gray that we borrowed...I am not sure how many gallons it holds, it is pretty much medium sized one...and we dumped the black water at the dump station...all in all very easy!!  I actually think that it is easier than a black water holding tank, because if you don't have sewer hook up and you need to dump, you can just take it to the dump station and dump it without having to take the whole RV...which I have seen friends do before...

I have one more funny comment and then I will hush...all my friends with TT's now say how much work a pup is etc...one of our friends starting breaking his TT down at the same time the DH and I started breaking the pup down...he was still working after we were hitched and pulling out and leaving for home!  HA! HA!  We see what is the most work!

Brent('73) & Laura ('72)
1 DD ('97) & 3 Camping Dogs
2008 Starcraft 2406PopUp2007 Jeep CommanderJeep

Offline chjoyful

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »
So glad you had a good trip!
We use our shower and cassette toilet all the time and have had no problems. At times, the dh will empty it at home in the clean out in front of the house. The gray tank gets empty daily when we need to use it. None of it is too much of an issue.

carolyn

PopUpGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)