User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 940
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Zoom Details 1
 Views: 234
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.98
Posted by stem44
Nov 13, 2014
in Checkout My Rig
PopUp Times Magazine For Today's Small RV Enthusiast
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Need 13 Inch Load Range D tires  (Read 11099 times)

Offline awsandlin

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Need 13 Inch Load Range D tires
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
I have a Fleetwood Utah with an empty weight of 2,700 pounds and a max weight of 3,500.  Therefore, I need a tire that will get me in the 1,500 plus range.  The trailer came with Load Range D tires, which have a max weight of 1,600 + pounds.

I am looking for an ST 185/80 D13 Load Range D tire and wheels.  I have check a number of places, etrailer, Northern, Discount Tire, Goodyear and JC Whitney.  The only one of the above that has any 13 inch tire in a Load Range of D is JC Whitney.  Their tire size is C78-13.  I have no idea if this would be the size I need.

I checked on the Goodyear Marathon tires and they do not make a 13 inch load range D.

I have checked a number of local I have checked a number of local distributors,but load range C is the best I can find.

If anyone has found these tires, please let me know of a source.  The help would be very much appreciated.

Allen
2004 Fleetwood Utah
Allen Sandlin
2004 Fleetwood Utah

Offline Digger

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics Website
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:26:56 PM »
I need to have my spare replaced and I found the ST 185/80 D13 @ Tractor Supply.  Haven't gone to get it yet, but they have it in stock. (The D13 indicates "D Range 13 inch", I presume)

Looks like there are at least a half dozen TSCs around Dallas:

Tractor Supply Co - www.ffa.org - (972) 429-3777
Tractor Supply Co - www.ffa.org - (817) 477-3950
Tractor Supply Co - www.ffa.org - (972) 923-1988
Tractor Supply Co - www.ffa.org - (972) 551-2600
Tractor Supply Co - www.ffa.org - (972) 547-4900

Tractor Supply Co - www.ffa.org - (972) 872-9154 - more

~Cheers~ Cold Beer igger
'04 Fleetwood Westlake (StonyBlue)/'02 Ford E-150
2008 nights camping: PUP - 13

Edited by - Digger on July 04 2008  13:29:30
~Cheers~  igger
Nites camped: 2007-8, 2008-39, 2009-50 (camped every month), 2010-14, 2011-14

Offline awsandlin

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »
Thank you.  I would have never thought of Tractor Supply.  I will check it out.

What started my tire issue is I came back home with my pup on a 100 degree day.  When I got home, I inspected my tires/wheels and found a facture in the weld on one of the wheels.  The weld is directly opposite from the valve stem.  I have a straight line crack in the wheel.  I can feel the weld on the other wheels, but I would have never known the weld was there if it had not cracked.  So, I need a tire and wheel combo.  My tires are still good, but they are approaching the age limit, so I was not interested in replacing only the wheel.  I checked every source but Tracter supply including the dealer.  Again, you can find load range C all day or you can find 14 inch in load range D, but I dont see a lot of options for a 13 inch load range D.  Thanks again for the tip.

Allen
2004 Fleetwood Utah

Edited by - awsandlin on July 04 2008  15:02:36
Allen Sandlin
2004 Fleetwood Utah

Offline awsandlin

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:07:08 PM »
I checked Tractor Supply.  Same issue.  They only offer load range C in 13 inch.  It is hard for me to believe that others have not needed tires this size, but I am really have a hard time finding options.

Does anyone know if the clearance would permit going to a 14 inch wheel and tire?  If so, there is no issue finding a 14 inch tire to accommodate the weight.

So, I am still looking for a source to find load range D wheels and tires.

Allen
2004 Fleetwood Utah
Allen Sandlin
2004 Fleetwood Utah

Offline awsandlin

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
II think I found at least three sources for the load range D tires.

www.trailertiresandwheels.com and also duroatvtires.com

The duro site is a little harder to manipulate and tell for sure what you are getting.  However, they seem to have the tire and wheel set with the tires already mounted.  I intend to call them on Monday to make sure I would be ordering the correct thing.  The trailer tire and wheels web site does not indicate they have the tires in wheel and tire sets.  It seems that you would have to purchase the tire and wheels separately, (I did see a note that the company would mount them for you).

Also, it from what I can tell, the size C78-13ST is the same as ST185/80 D13.  Therefore, seems JC Whitney would also be a source as they have one option available in the C78-13ST.  It also looks like the same wheel style as what is on the trailer currently.  In addition, it looks like Whitney has free shipping on orders over $150.  However, I have no idea what brand of tire Whitney is selling.  The other wheels are spoke wheels.  The main thing, these tires and wheels are rated for 1,660 pounds which will put me in the safe range for my axle weight.

So, for all you folks with tire knowledge, does any one know about the Duro brand?  What about the Tow Master brand, (which is what Trailer Tires and Wheels offer)?  I think the Tow Master brand is made by a company called "Greenball".

Personally I like the Trailer Tire and Wheels company as their website gives you the feel of a smaller business that really knows there stuff.  Between Whitney and Trailer Tires and Wheels, it is like going to Wal-Mart or the independent tire shop on the corner.

Note: looking at the Duro web site, it states the tires are Duro brand, but also offers a non Duro brand.  When you attempt to add the selection to your cart, the options seem to be all the non Duro brand.  In my situation, a non Duro brand is better then what I have, which is a wheel that appears to be unsafe to use.

I am rather happy that I have found a source for these tires.

Side note: I was reading some of the information on the Goodyear website and it stated the life span in time of a trailer tire should be no more than 7 years regardless of tread condition.  I have heard less than 7 years, but I am sure the tires could be a year older than you popup.  I also saw that there is a code stamped on your tire that gives you the age of the tire.

Lastly, if you search the web by tire size, you will get real hits on the C78-13ST where you really dont find much using the ST185/80 DT.  I read that the C78-13ST is an old designation and has been replaced with the ST185/80 DT.  It must have been around since 2004, as that is what is on the side of my tire.

Allen
2004 Fleetwood Utah
Allen Sandlin
2004 Fleetwood Utah

Offline mgwerks

• Star Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 12:31:37 AM »
The "D" in the ST185/80 D13 tires indicated BIAS PLY tires, not the load range.  I went through this whole process just recently, and wanting Duro rather than Carlisle tires, found the options very limited.  Finally, after a few calls with inside sales guys at Duro itself, I was directed to Tires Unlimited.  The tire you want is the 4th entry in the HF502 table.  

Their head tire guy spent 10 years with Duro, and the Duro guy had nothing but praises for him.  I needed these in a hurry, so TU drop shipped them to me from Duro.  Came in 3 days, ST185/80 D13 8-ply load range D, and cheaper than JC Whitney or anywhere else.  $60.82 per tire!  Praise was well-deserved.

IO tried all the sites mentioned above, online and by phone, and can't beat the price or service.

YMMV

Mark

Here are my Jayco lift docs, they're now on the Portal for you!
Jayco Lift System Diagrams
L&W Lift System Instructions

Offline Digger

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics Website
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 12:53:15 AM »
Mark, did you mount it yourself, or take it to a shop to mount?

~Cheers~ Cold Beer igger
2008 nights camping: PUP - 13
~Cheers~  igger
Nites camped: 2007-8, 2008-39, 2009-50 (camped every month), 2010-14, 2011-14

Offline awsandlin

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 07:11:45 AM »
Thank you for the information.  I understand my tires are bias ply, but I do need load range D due to the wait of the trailer.  Load Range C is good up to 1380 pounds and load range D are up to 1660.  I need to get over 3000, so I need to go with the load range D tire and wheel.

I was able to find a distributor that sales the Load Star tire and wheel which is what Fleetwood used on the trailer.  However, after thinking about the issue with my wheel, I am thinking of going with a different brand.  I also like the looks of some of the aluminum wheels, (they are double the price of the steel wheels, but look really nice).

Just in case anyone else is looking for the Load Star tires, check out Down 2 Earth Trailers at www.downtoearthtrailer.com.

For whatever reason, load range D tires are not common and to find them off the shelf locally seems impossible.  The closes I came for a local source is Discount tires.  They have suppliers for Carlisle tires, but Carlisle does not offer the 13 inch in load range D.  Discount does deal with Greenball tire, but not in the Dallas area.

Looking for these tires has been a real education.  Again, thank you for the help.  I am interested in getting all the information I can on this.

Allen
2004 Fleetwood Utah
Allen Sandlin
2004 Fleetwood Utah

Offline pianewman

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:01:45 AM »
Thank YOU for all your research.  I'm sure we will all benefit from it at some point.

pianewman
2002 Fleetwood Santa Fe
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L,  Reese 400 WDH, Honda AT and PS coolers, Airlift 1000s with Dual-gauge compressor
Scangauge II
2002 Fleetwood/Coleman Santa Fe CP
2005 Toyota Tundra Limited 4WD, Reese WDH400

Offline mgwerks

• Star Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 12:26:57 PM »
I understand as I needed the D range ones too.   That's why after hearing all about the different brands, I wanted the Duros.  Seems $60 was the cheapest I found, and JC Whitney wanted to wait 2-3 weeks before shipping.  The ones I got from Tires Unlimited are load range D, and I got then fast.

I just took them to a local trusted tire shop and they mounted them for a few bucks each.  awsandlin, if you want to see 'em, I'll be cruising through Dallas Friday afternoon on our way to Mid-Con '08!

Offline awsandlin

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 02:19:48 PM »
I not only need the tires, but I need the wheels as well.  I am still debating on what wheels I want.  That may determine which brand of tire I get.  I will check your source out.  If you are coming through Dallas on a Friday afternoon, my office is at LBJ and 75.  Which route are you taking?

Allen
2004 Fleetwood Utah
Allen Sandlin
2004 Fleetwood Utah

Offline mgwerks

• Star Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 05:41:44 PM »
Going up 35 to 75 right past LBJ at the Texas Instruments area, headed through Oklahoma.  Shoot me an email if you like - always good to meet another pupper!

Online KMH

• Eagle Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Camping Trips, Mods, and Maintenance
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 12:44:23 AM »
I know this thread is oldd and dead.. But in case you didn't find tires yet.. Be sure to check your tire for the load ranges. My original (01 Starcraft tires) from Carlisle were indeed Load Range C, but were ~1600lbs each max weight. Yet, the Load Range D was only 125 more per tire.. Whichever the case, be sure you get them with enough to cover the weight of the pup (mine was 3360 GVWR), and you can always go a higher load range, never lower however.

I picked up Load Stars, 185/80/13, in Load Range D, for $67 per tire, at a RH Scales Distributor through my brother's business. They do retail business as well, not sure on the price though. That included mounting for them as well. Smile

Again, I know the thread is old and dated, but just be sure to pay attention to the Max load rating. In my case, the older Load Range C listed ~1600lbs each, where as the Load Range D was 1725 each.Weird...

*Kevin*
PopUp 2001 Starcraft Constellation Gemini Tow Vehicle 96 Cherokee 2dr 5spd,
Booked '09: 54 Tongue
~Kevin~
2012 Keystone Passport 235EXP HTT, 2004 Ford Expedition King Ranch

Offline awsandlin

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 08:10:47 AM »
Thank you for the information. Since I first posted this, I have a new set of tires rated at 1,770 pounds, load range D which is up from the 1,660 pounds of my original load range Ds. I bought new wheels, so I have two set of tires now. I use the old ones for winter storage.

Allen
2004 Fleetwood Utah
Allen Sandlin
2004 Fleetwood Utah

Offline haroldpe

• Eagle Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Mods & Pics
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:20:35 PM »

Glad you found tires that work for you.

I bought the tires you sought tires from JC Whitney several years ago, but the stock number no longer works. The ones I bought were:

ZX489246U C78-13ST 5-lug High-speed Trailer Tire / Wheel Assembly, Load Range D

The above tires are the Duro's rated at 1660#. Have had no problem with our 3600# trailer.

I could not find these combined with wheels on JC Whitney. However, the unmounted tires you want are on sale there. Item # is ZX475980T for $69

GaryApprove
'04 palomino mustang 6147 PopUpTow Vehicle 2008 Saturn Outlook
*** MODS *** United States 107 nights in our Pal

Edited by - haroldpe on March 17 2009 20:21:06

Edited by - haroldpe on March 17 2009  20:22:34
Gary -- '10 Kodiak 184 & '04 Palomino 6147 (SOLD) --  mods & pics:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/76803765@N00/sets  # days in our Pal/Kodiak: 217