User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Pink Flamingo Hunter
 Views: 298
Posted by gerrybates1
May 12, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

2014 06 17 12 11 04B
 Views: 164
Posted by petlarfla
Jun 17, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 1996 Coleman Santa Fe  (Read 3842 times)

Offline ehcarmen

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • WEBSHOTS
1996 Coleman Santa Fe
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »
Folks,

I recently came across a 1996 Coleman Santa Fe for sale for a good price.  Does anyone out there have any insight about purchasing this model?  He told me it is a 12' box, but from the research I have seen, it is only a 10' box.  I have a Pal Hardisder which is a 10' box.  However, he said the canvas is in great shape, it has a 3 way fridge that works, good floor plan, new converter.  No AC, but I can always add that, it has an awning, etc.  I also know there have been some issues with the roof with mid-90's colemans.

Just curious if anyone out there had one, knew of any major red flags, etc.  He said it needs a little work.....

I'm gonna go see it tonight.  Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

1994 Ford Explorer XLT - Ole' Bessie
1985 Palomino CSX Hardsider - "Memory Maker"
1970 Apache Ramada
2003 Yamaha Waverunner XLT 800
Pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna LE

Offline barb_dave

• Eagle Camper
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1996 Coleman Santa Fe
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:26:32 AM »
From the info I have it is a 10' box with a weight of about 1500.   We had an ac added to ours and the only addition to the roof was a supoort bracket.  We haven't had any issues with are roof our anything else.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Barb_Dave
1998 Coleman Mesa 1997 Voyager
Nights Camping 2008-7
[PU]-1998 Coleman Mesa  [TV]- 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan
[CP] 2014 = 3

Offline pianewman

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1996 Coleman Santa Fe
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:00:34 AM »
I don't know how different our 02 Santa Fe is (10' box), but mine is rather tongue heavy, with the added hot water heater, propane, A/C, and deep cycle 27 series battery...between 350 and 400 lbs.  It's a bit tricky to balance, hence my overkill with WDH AND Airlift1000s (Odyssey is very soft in the rear).
I know the vinyl on ours is much more substantial than the new ones, and I think the construction quality is beefier all around.
ABS roof?  Ours looks perfect, even with A/C.  Having A/C added to yours may require an experienced touch (adequately radiused corners, for instance), as there are risks (cracking, sagging).  I'm looking into a very cool (unfortunately very expensive) custom made "truss" style roof rack, which might prevent future roof issues, as well as creating a roof rack for bicycles.
Good luck.  Hope you get a good deal.  Keep us posted.

pianewman
2002 Fleetwood Santa Fe
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L,  Reese 400 WDH, Honda AT and PS coolers, Airlift 1000s with Dual-gauge compressor
Scangauge II
2002 Fleetwood/Coleman Santa Fe CP
2005 Toyota Tundra Limited 4WD, Reese WDH400

Tourdejoe

1996 Coleman Santa Fe
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:30:31 AM »
We have a '01 Santa Fe.  Absolutely love it. Floor plan is great for us.  We had AC added (with the roof support bracket.)  No problems with roof at all (knock wood.)

Joe and Mary

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."  -G. Eliot

http://home.comcast.net/~joediet

Offline ehcarmen

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • WEBSHOTS
1996 Coleman Santa Fe
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:10:58 AM »
I had to pass.  I saw the PUP, and the roof was already sagging severely.  He only wanted $700 for it, but the roof was terrible.  It would have required some sort of custom fabricated roof support system.  I simply wasn't ready or willing to take it thru.  It was a helluva deal though.  It was HUGE, and everything else was in perfect shape.  Thanks.

1970 Apache Ramada

Offline CDawg

• Camper, 1st Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • LaBarge Family Camping Page
1996 Coleman Santa Fe
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:19:45 AM »
Our 1999 Sante Fe is now in its tenth camping season.  No major issues with it.  We absolutely love it and it's a dream to tow.

Craig in PA

'99 Coleman Sante Fe
'99 Ford Ranger

Our Camping Website
Craig in PA
'99 Coleman Sante Fe
2009 Ford Ranger XLT

Offline pianewman

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1996 Coleman Santa Fe
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:59:29 AM »
Hey, ehcarmen, the roof rack I'm investigating is supposed to FIX roof sag.  I guess it would be asking too much for you to be the "test subject" to see if it works?
Just wondering.  A 96 Santa Fe for $700 would be a steal!!

pianewman
2002 Fleetwood Santa Fe
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L,  Reese 400 WDH, Honda AT and PS coolers, Airlift 1000s with Dual-gauge compressor
Scangauge II

Offline ehcarmen

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • WEBSHOTS
1996 Coleman Santa Fe
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:09:58 AM »
I saw that rack, and it looks like it only help with sag length wise.  I passed when I went to see it, which was WEdnesday night, and then e-mailed the guy yesterday afternoon, and he had already sold it......

Other than the roof, it was really nice, but, oh well......and it HAD to be more than a 10' box.  It seemed HUGE.  Heck, I probably could have parted it out and made some $$.  Everything on it was great.  It had a 3 way fridge, battery, converter was great, all cushions and canvas were fine, stove was never used, etc.  Too bad.

1970 Apache Ramada

Offline pianewman

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1996 Coleman Santa Fe
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 06:33:12 AM »
Hey ehcarmen,
Not trying to flog a dead horse here, but while driveway camping last night, and staring at the ceiling, it occurred to me that the lateral support of the roof comes from the Fleetwood designed roof support they put in with A/C, and the longitudinal support is all it would need.  I have not figured out, yet, how the roof rack could CORRECT an already sagging roof, or how one would install it on a defective roof...until I actually see the rack (if I decide to have one built).  Since my roof doesn't sag, installation should be very easy...except for the major $$$ investment!!
Good luck with your search.  For all it's nasty reputation, when you see a perfect ABS roof, you'll know immediately how attractive it is...nice lines, no seams to leak, smooth, etc.  Maybe I'll really stir up a hornet's nest and try to round up all the ABS owners out there and see exactly how many roofs have failed.

pianewman
2002 Fleetwood Santa Fe
Scangauge II

PopUp Times