User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Pink Flamingo Hunter
 Views: 285
Posted by gerrybates1
May 12, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

2014 06 17 12 11 04B
 Views: 108
Posted by petlarfla
Jun 17, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Converter? 120v by BadDonkey
[Today at 05:28:07 PM]

Can you figure this out? by pej
[Today at 05:25:08 PM]

Considering buying a 2000 Coleman Cheyenne by Hoosier Daddy
[Today at 05:24:57 PM]

Stabilizer Jack? by BadDonkey
[Today at 05:22:44 PM]

What's your favorite dutch oven bread recipe? by bearman512
[Today at 05:20:39 PM]

? for those with Reflectix by speckhunter80
[Today at 05:18:52 PM]

Does anyone else pitch washers... by Hoosier Daddy
[Today at 05:17:13 PM]

Running Refrigerator while traveling by CamperMike
[Today at 05:16:36 PM]

Electrical issue making my head explode! by wetpeds
[Today at 05:08:43 PM]

1977 Venture Chelsea pics by Tuckerman
[Today at 05:08:29 PM]

What Spindle/bearing/seal size? by rinrat86
[Today at 05:07:26 PM]

Angry and embarrassed by xshield
[Today at 05:02:24 PM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Atwood furnace blows but won't ignite. - FIXED!  (Read 7265 times)

Offline DRas

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Atwood furnace blows but won't ignite. - FIXED!
« on: September 21, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »
OK gang, I've been searching high and low and still haven't found the one piece of information I need. Like several others in the past, I have a problem where my furnace blows, but will not ignite. This is on a '97 Jayco with Atwood 79 series DSI type furnace. It seems like everything is working as it should, but I can't get it to ignite. This all started one night last spring on a chilly night in the mountains. Furnace was working fine when I went to bed, but midway through the night I noticed it was only blowing and not firing. Decided I'd finally have a look at it today before the weather cools off again up in the high country. Stove & water heater both work fine. Here's what I've done / observed:

1) I jumpered out my thermostat to force it on (it's still 100 degrees here in Phoenix today & thermostat won't go that high). Voltage seems to be getting to where it needs to be. Through the overtemp switch, through the sail switch, and onto the DSI board.

2) Blower comes on like normal for a few seconds and then I can hear the gas valves open up with a solid 'click'. About 5 seconds later they close. They open up again a few seconds later, then close again in about 5 seconds or so. This happens 3 times as the manual indicates it should, but no ignition occurs.

3) I removed the burner assy. and electrode to inspect them and found them to be very clean and in good shape. Spark gap on the electrode is right at 1/8". I rigged it up so I could see the spark on the electrode outside the burner box, and I get 1 single spark at exactly the same time as the gas valves open each time.

4) Verified gas valves are opening by gently blowing through them and putting 12V on the coils. They open very firmly and I get good flow through them.

5) Switched to the other full propane tank (dual tank setup w/ automatic switchover regulator), but that didn't help. Have also tried it using both battery and shore power - same result.

6) Disconnected the propane line at the furnace and underneath the camper, and blew the line out with compressed air.

The question I have after all of this is about the spark ignition. As I stated above, I only get 1 single spark at exactly the same time the gas valves open. It would seem to be much more effective if it sparked several times 'after' opening the gas valve. I don't think the gas can even get from the valve, through the burner, and to the electrode that fast. Is it supposed to do just one spark, or should there be several in rapid succession? Any help would be appreciated, this is very perplexing.

Thanks for helping,
Dave

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Edited by - DRas on October 05 2008  20:53:58

Offline eddyg2

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »
Dave, it is funny that you have asked this question because I was about to ask the same thing. I have the exact same problem. We are starting to get into the cooler weather here and I thought I should check everything out before the next time we go out... low and behold, there is no ignition! The blower is going and I hear it trying to light, but to now avail. Eventually after the third attempt is stops trying to ignite and just blows.

I hope someone can answer your request as I need the same help.

PopUp 97' Viking
Jen & Gary with Dogs Sadie & Ollie
21 days camped & 27 booked for 2008
[PU] 97' Viking - 2006 GMC Seirra
Jen & Gary with dogs Sadie & Ollie

Offline DRas

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »
Well, at this point I'm about 95% sure I have a faulty igniter board. Others on different forums have said they get multiple spark discharges in rapid succession, and I am only getting the one spark each time it tries to light. I won't need the heat real soon, but I think I'll go ahead and replace the board and see what happens. I'll post the results when I have the solution.

Offline eddyg2

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:59:15 PM »
Thanks Dave.. I am getting multiple spark charges but still no light. I will keep an eye open to see how you make out. Thanks for the info.

Gary

PopUp 97' Viking
25 days camped & 27 booked for 2008

Offline PattieAM

• Life Camper
    • MD [MD]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:04:28 PM »
Your furnace requires 10.5-13.5 volts DC (battery) in order for the blower to open the sail switch and ignite the burner.

Fully charge your battery, but disconnect it from the camper when not in use as the propane leak detector is a 24/7 draw.

Offline eddyg2

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:07:16 PM »
Thanks PattieAM but I am not running off a battery... AC power only.

Dave, Just wondering if you have made any progress. I took a look at my Furnace and it is an Atwood as well. I tried it again and it sounded like I was not getting multiple sparks either.

Thanks,
Gary

PopUp 97' Viking

Offline cmspence

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 11:05:18 PM »
i had the same problem in my case after testing everyhting on the furnace it led me to the fuel system

but it was little confusng because my stove would work fine inside and outside with no problems

make a long story short i took an air compresser like they did above the blew out the fuel lines with regulater off i had good flow

after that i was getting pretty mad so i decided to blow through the regulater which i found was restricted i replaced it everything was fine after that

Offline DRas

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 08:54:55 PM »
OK, for those of you that want to know (and I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats!), I got this fixed today. It was indeed a faulty DSI ignitor board. Got a new one off eBay and stuck it in today. Fired up the first try! I could hear it sparking away like crazy several times a second, and after about 2 seconds it fired and worked like normal. Just for the record.

Thanks for the inputs.
Dave

Offline lumberjack867

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
well, here's some tips

1.charge battry

2.get new fuse for heater

3.check gas tank

Edited by - lumberjack867 on October 12 2008  20:34:27

Offline eddyg2

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 08:05:56 AM »
Thanks Dave... I have been busy and unable to check the site. That is good info and I appreciate it.

PopUp 97' Viking