User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 990
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

IMG 20141123 134829449
 Views: 45
Posted by jswalton84
Nov 23, 2014
in Checkout My Rig
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 1984 Starcraft cable repair  (Read 10521 times)

Offline BriTer

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • BC [BC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
1984 Starcraft cable repair
« on: October 12, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
Hi folks!
 My wife and I bought a 1984 Starcraft Starlite 17 in September. Needed a few repairs (minor) so yesterday had it towed for winter storage. As I was raising it to get access to the water container, a cable broke. Left rear (driver's side). It broke about 8" to the 'outside' of the turnbuckle and I'm wondering if there is enough access to just add on a foot or so of new cable, starting at the turnbuckle. If not, does anyone have instructions/diagrams?? Seems to be a four cable system, top still lifts and lowers.
 Thanks!

Offline mostlyok

• Eagle Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • MostlyOK
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:25:31 AM »
We have Starcraft lift system manuals. Send us your email address via private message and we can send a copy to you.

Heidi & Paul '04 Fleetwood Niagara
Jeep '05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
If its got zippers and Velcro it's got to be fun!
Heidi & Paul in Florida
Had-[PU]'04 Fleetwood Niagara (The Cottage)  Have-2011 Fleetwood Storm 28F (the Dark Side) [8D]

Offline 2tocamp

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »
The cables are not very expensive from Starcraft.  I would recommend lubricating the pulleys in case that is the reason it broke.  My sister and I replaced mine on my previous camper a 1979 Venture.  I went to our local Starcraft dealer and he told me how to repair it myself.  We camped in the old Venture for 15 yrs and never had a problem with a broken cable because we would lub the system every year.  We just got another popup and it is a 1983 Starcraft Venture 17.  We checked out the cables and we have one fraying, so we will be doing this with in the next couple of weeks too.  Ours is the door side rear.  It is not hard to do just requires you to crawl in tight spaces. I wonder what the difference is between our campers?  Best of luck.
Barb
We are empty nesters.

Offline Tekboy46

• Eagle Camper
    • OK [OK]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »

Request the manuals from mostlyok or you can download them from rvworkshop.com. The lift manual for the 1985 and Newer Starcrafts also says "And Most 83's and 84's" so get the manuals and determine which lift system you have. Our 79 Venture like 2tocamp used to have has the winch mounted to the tongue of the trailer; the newer version has the winch mounted to the camper frame and while still fairly simple in design is a bit more complicated than the older system. The two manuals will cover both systems as it looks like both systems were shipped in 83 and 84. It's probably the same manual as mostlyok has, but here's the link to the 85 and Newer manual at rvworkshop:

http://rvworkshop.com/Starcraft_1985___Newer.pdf

The cables on our 79 are simple to replace compared to some of the other brands lift systems. The 85 and newer systems are only a bit more complicated, but doable with the manual. You can make the cables with a swaging tool, but the price is so reasonable from Catheys or Starcraft that you could order a complete cable set and be done in a day or two. Just my opinion, but I really really recommend you go with all new cables and stay away from any thoughts of doing a splice of some kind. If you just replace the broken cable, you still have the remaining old cables that could give out any time. They usually break at the campsite when you're trying to set up lol. Once you see the manual and get in to the system it's fairly straight forward to do, and you'll never worry about that splice failing. Check and lube all the pulleys while you're in there, replace all the cables and you won't have to worry about it for years!

1979 Starcraft Venture
1996 Ford F150 TV
Phil and Judy
2006 Crossroads Zinger 180 TT
1979 Starcraft PU: sold but not forgotten.

Offline BriTer

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • BC [BC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 01:47:09 PM »
Hiya Barb,
 We'll certainly follow through on your reccomendations for lubricating.
 From what I've seen on web searches it is possible that the only difference between yours and ours is the lift system. Ours isn't the tongue mount, crank is on the door side, rear.Weight could be different also. Ours is about 1400 lbs. (635kg)
 Thanks for the response!

Offline BriTer

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • BC [BC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »
Thank you Tekboy!
 I've pm'd mostlyok with the request and also checked out your link.

Okie dokie, no quickie splice job. I agree, best to do a replacement.I'll check out prices in our area but I'd rather do it all myself. I like getting my hands dirty lol

Thank you all for the quick responses. What a great bunch of people!

Offline 2tocamp

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »
Tekboy was correct my lift system is just like the the 1979 Venture.    Did not know they changed that year.  My camper is about 1,000 lbs.  Glad you got advise on your lift system.  Best of luck to you.  Tekboy's pictures of his Venture makes me miss my old camper.
Barb
We are empty nesters.

Offline brahsdad

• Tenderfoot
    • HI [HI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:40:30 PM »
Hi I think it's great that your so willing to help out others. Would you consider doing the same for me? Sending us a copy of the manual we will pay for the copping & postage. We also have a Starcraft with lift cable troubles. The main problem is that I have'nt seen the trailer yet ,it's at my Father in laws house in Ca. Were going there in January only for a few days & I would like to get it repaired & ready to ship home to Kauai Hi while were there.Yes we do camp here the season is 365 days with no snow or cold .  Thank you so much Henry & Edith Schultz

Aloha dude

Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches  - etrailer.com