User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 1079
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Calman Trike and Pop-up
 Views: 207
Posted by Calman
Dec 02, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

PopupGizmos Solar Bunkend Covers
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Replacing cables in Jayco - pictures inside  (Read 45963 times)

Offline familycamper79

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Replacing cables in Jayco - pictures inside
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »
I received a Jayco camper with a broken lift system.  When I 1st looked at it, it had one corner that would not lift up.  As I had one person lift that corner while cranking I had 2 more cables brake so now only 1 corner would crank up.  So with a few guys helping out I was able to raise the roof to inspect the cable system (runs inside the camper).  After I looked things over I lowered the roof only to find that the corner with the good cable will not lower, the corner post will not go down with whatever I do.  So now that I explained a bit of the problem I will post the photos of the damage and see if you can help me make sense of it.

This is the crank and main cable.  I can see the one of the eye bolts is bent but this looks like a pretty simple fix.

This is the problem corner, (along the front, across from the crank.  The coil that pushes the roof up has broken and came out of its track and the pulley mechanism has bent.  I figure I can order that pulley and metal assembly but i am not sure about the coil and how to access the drive block that it attaches to.?

And here is the following corner

And the final corner for the cable routing

What I can't figure out is how to attach the cable to the drive block.  The drive block is at the end of the coil that runs inside the metal square.

I hope someone can make sense of this and give me some advice, feel free to ask me questions if I need to clarify on something more.

Edited by - familycamper79 on November 25 2008  14:53:24

Offline punkindad

• Camper, 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 07:00:21 PM »
I am going to be replacing my cables on my 76 jayco during our Christmas shutdown so I will be following this thread. Is there a hole through the drive block for the cable to go through then put a crimp sleeve on the end? or a set screw that locks the cable into the drive block? Check out the owners manuals link at the top of the page and click on the jayco lift manual. They have step by step directions for replacing a cable.

Brian(the dad)-Still working on a perfect childhood!!"
Celia-12(the punkin)  
1976 Jayco Jayfinch(on steroids)

Edited by - punkindad on November 25 2008  19:20:29
Still working on a perfect childhood!!
95 Range rover classic
93 Rockwood 1280XL

Offline familycamper79

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have printed out the lift manual but didn"t see anything explaining the drive block assembly. I need to find a way to get it out of the metal square tube so I can attach the cable to it.

Offline bigdad

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »
Hi have replace the cables on  92 jayco by looking a the pic i would order new cables and new push springs the new cables well be cut to spec and all ready to be install they well have loop for the eye hook and the block on the other end you well have to support the roof and pull the springs out if you hae any problems you can pm.

camping is life.
2004 Dodge Durango 4x4
2012 Light House FB21

Offline punkindad

• Camper, 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 06:30:00 AM »
It looks like step #3 says you have to remove the lifting spring in order to remove the drive slug.

Celia-12(the punkin)  
95 Range rover classic
93 Rockwood 1280XL

Offline familycamper79

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 12:25:14 PM »
I am not sure how to remove the lifting spring.  It runs inside a metal square tube and up into the side of the camper.

Offline punkindad

• Camper, 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 03:05:44 PM »
Once you remove the screw from the inward end of the track the spring should slide right out of the track, maybe with a little help though.
The spring doesn't attach to the roof it simply pushes up on the post to lift the roof. I hope this helps.

Brian

Celia-12(the punkin)  
95 Range rover classic
93 Rockwood 1280XL

Offline familycamper79

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 12:16:35 PM »
That helps greatly.

Any good websites for ordering parts?

Offline mgwerks

• Star Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »
www.popupparts.com

Send him an email with what you are looking for and he'll get back to you.  I bought a drive spring and other Jayco parts there a couple of years ago.  Good people.

Here are my Jayco lift docs, they're now on the Portal for you!
Jayco Lift System Diagrams
L&W Lift System Instructions

Offline JesseABQ

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »
Any idea what the cost is to replace the cables in a 1975 Jayco Jayfinch? Not sure if it actually broke or not but can see that the cable near the pulley is greatly stretched to the point of the cable not being tightly woven.

*Edit* On closer inspection, the cable is frayed, but only very slightly. Seems the crank handle broke off. Still thinking I will need to have the lift/main cables replaced, any idea how much it costs to have this done?

Jesse '58
Debra Kay '64
Jayco '75
The fur babies- Maggie, Barker and lil Bear Bear

Edited by - JesseABQ on January 11 2009  18:39:10

Offline bigdad

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 08:44:06 PM »
I think it was about 45.00 to $65.00 and that was for the set all four conners. i order them from Canvas Replacements 1-800-232-2079

camping is life.
2004 Dodge Durango 4x4
2012 Light House FB21

Offline JesseABQ

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
Thanks Big. I'm guessing you installed them yourself? If so, how difficult of a job was that?

Jesse '58
Debra Kay '64
Jayco '75

Offline candleems

• Life Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 01:36:17 AM »
I've been having lift problems for about a year. No problem going up, problem is coming all the way down. Won't close from 4" to 2", even with some persuasion. I've just been using rachet straps to hold it closed while I travel. Added a tarp during raining times.

Decided I didn't want to tinker w/ this. Taking it to the shop to find out what's wrong on Tuesday. Hopefully an easy fix. If it's not, I'm just gonna live w/ it till it falls apart or won't close at all. Then I'll get a new or new-to-me pup.

Good luck to all those attempting this repair. I'm sure if my dad was home from his year long boat trip, I could bribe him to take a whack at it.

Barb '74, DH '63, DD '02
York, PA
2004 Kia Sedona, 1994 Jayco 1006ST
Barb '74, DH '63, DD '02
South Central PA
2010 Chevy Silverado, 1997 Jayco 1207KR

Offline awsandlin

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 01:33:36 PM »
My thought on your top not going all the way down is that your eye bolts are extended too far outward from the block, (the square piece of metal connected to the main cable that all the lift cables connect to with eye bolts), and they hit the pulley that is opposite from the crank before the top reaches the bottom.  There is not that much room for the eye bolts to bee all that long.  My guess is if you were to adjust the eye bolts inward, you would be able to close your top.  However, this may result in the roof being out of adjustment as far as how high it opens.  If that is the case, the only way to over come it is to adjust the length of the cables.  I would give it a try just so you know what is wrong and then you may be able to over come it.  Since a Jayco does not have a positive stop on it, pulling the eye bolts in will result in the top attempting to raise more.

It is also possible that the cables are just too short to allow the top to close.  In that case, you would need to see how much you can move the eye bolts outward.  However, in so doing your may run into the issue above where the eye bolts hit the pulley and stop.  On the Jayco, the length of the cable is very critical.

Allen
2004 Fleetwood Utah
Allen Sandlin
2004 Fleetwood Utah

Offline JesseABQ

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 12:57:28 AM »
Well I'm a very happy man as I sit here tonight. Turns out my cables are okay, at least for now, but have a feeling that I will need to replace the wench and all of the cables before long. My problem is that the previous owner welded the handle on and the weld broke. Finally got the pup up though, so that we can at least get in to clean her up a bit, and get some stuff fixed.

I really love this forum!

Jesse '58
Debra Kay '64
Jayco '75

PopUp Times Magazine For Today's Small RV Enthusiast