User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Camping in Atacama Desert Chile
Our first bondock camping at the Atacama Desert
 Views: 58
Posted by chileankj
Mar 15, 2014
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Views: 125
Posted by kmarie0729
Yesterday
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Let the new mods begin by jwrober
[Today at 08:46:01 PM]

WTB: Popup in MI by mickaqua
[Today at 08:40:58 PM]

How to sell your camper. by SidecarMike
[Today at 08:40:53 PM]

NTU 1983 Coleman Columbia by Nandy
[Today at 08:40:45 PM]

How to wash dishes properly while camping by West Coast Canuck
[Today at 08:40:15 PM]

Portal Pennant? by kitphantom
[Today at 08:31:48 PM]

I see the light!!! (am I suppose to?) by RockyRoo
[Today at 08:26:36 PM]

'03 Rockwood 1640 questions by mtnkube
[Today at 08:18:54 PM]

Any mechanics on here...need some advice. by RockyRoo
[Today at 08:18:10 PM]

How big is your carpet?? by Sharon
[Today at 08:11:38 PM]

1993 Flagstaff roof repair by CamoPupCamper
[Today at 08:03:47 PM]

The Music Game by jlynn58
[Today at 07:59:13 PM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Rubber roof on Coleman ABS  (Read 18548 times)

Offline DansAndDogs

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Rubber roof on Coleman ABS
« on: January 01, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to glue rubber membrane roofing over the troublesome ABS on Coleman?  Mine is cracking, I've been patching it with fiberglass, but I'm losing the battle.  A friend suggested using rubber membrane roofing (it glues on).  Just wondering what folks thought.  Would this work?

2000 Coleman Utah
2006 Town & Country
Me, the Wife, our daughter and 3 dogs
2006 Town and Country
2000 Coleman Utah
Me, my wife, our daughter and 2 dogs.  Creating memories to last a lifetime!

Offline Twisty

• Diamond
  • Eagle Camper
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 08:36:35 PM »
It sounds like a very good idea to me.

2004 Fleetwood Utah w/slide
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 Ext. Cab
www.CWhatIC.net
Twisty should be used for entertainment purposes only.
2014 Boss 6.2 F350
2012 SV264

Offline outdoorxman

• Life Camper
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:53:22 PM »
Mine is a few cracks on it but I applied a thin coat of super glue along the cracks. It seems to be holding fine for a year now. If you have concerns there is a company that will apply a white commercial roofing material for about a grand. PM me and I will get you contact information.

How bad are the cracks? Are there leaks inside?
I patched my deck lid before I replaced it with that rubber RV roof material and it worked itself loose on time on the iregular surfaces.

Phil

Me '60 Barbeque
DW '67 Smores
Toby the canoing dog
TV '04 GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
PU '00 Coleman Niagara Elite PopUp
Days Camped (08) 33 and done for the year.

Offline Twisty

• Diamond
  • Eagle Camper
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:58:49 PM »
How about spray on bedliner material? (Rhino lining) Ask a shop for an estimate. I'll mail you $100 if it costs a grand! You can even get a do-it-yourself kit to apply it. Why not use Snowroof?

2004 Fleetwood Utah w/slide
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 Ext. Cab
www.CWhatIC.net
Twisty should be used for entertainment purposes only.
2014 Boss 6.2 F350
2012 SV264

Offline Luv2ridebikes

• Eagle Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 06:56:09 AM »
IMHO - the added weight of the membrane may lead to more sagging.  And it may lead to heat build up between the membrane and original roof causing more distortion.

Have you tried searching the forum for ABS repair?  There are some recommended sealing processes for those cracks.

UPDATE:  I found the information at Natasha's Site (www.title-3.com).  That site owner (and me) are not endorsing nor guarantying this process, but here goes:

Now, I get a lot of e-mails from folks asking about "fixing" their roof.  I'm sorry to say, if you have a severe sag or your sides are bowing out fixing it may be out of the question.  But, if you have a few small cracks you may be able to take care of it yourself.

First of all, should you attempt to do this remember, you decided to do it and you are on your own.  I do not guarantee anything.  It's up to you.  Secondly, the repair should be done in a well ventilated area. The things you are going to be working with PVC/ABS glue and MEK are toxic solvents and are probably not real good for your lungs. As always, wear clothing to protect your skin and safety glasses/goggles.

The best ABS crack repair you can do is with MEK (MethylEthylKetone) and ABS powder or chips. MEK can be found at most hardware stores as PVC/ABS glue, and it will melt ABS plastic given sufficient time. While ABS plastic can usually be found at hardware/home improvement store store in the PVC area, it is usually black. You could also stop by a FFT dealer as they may have damaged roof and wall panels lying out back that they may give you a piece of.

1. Drill the end(s) of any cracks to reduce the stress and keep it from cracking further. It doesn't have to be a big hole, just sufficient size to round out the end of the crack and stop the stress at the "pointy" end of the crack.

2. Rough up the ABS around the crack and clean it with ABS/PVC cleaning solvent.

3. Grind up the ABS plastic you have by whatever method you may have , the smaller the better. Mix about equal parts MEK and the ABS you ground up in a glass jar (with a lid). Let this mixture sit for a few minutes , then open the jar and stir the mixture. Repeat until you have a "slurry" or "goo" of melted ABS plastic.

4. You can now use the slurry of ABS to fill the cracks with. This slurry should have sufficient MEK in it to melt your slurry to the roof, sealing the cracks. Work quickly as it dries quickly. Also, be careful about letting the slurry or ABS/PVC cleaning solvent drip/run down the side of the roof as it can melt/stain the good areas of your roof.

Now, a commercial ABS repair kit is available from "The Electrical Connection".  I have never done business with this company, it's not my uncle and I don't get anything out of it.  I'm just passing along information someone gave me.

Steve & Deb

Edited by - Luv2ridebikes on January 02 2009  08:30:30
Steve and Deb
Aspen and Riley - our four legged offspring
2005 Sequoia towed by an 04 Ext Trailblazer and lots of bikes

Offline xxxapache

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 05:57:29 PM »
I have an Apache and have fixed dozens of ABS cracks.  I have learned that nothing really sticks well to ABS.  The MEK goo fix is the way to go.  With it, you are solvent welding new material to the old.  Here is how I would do it:

1.) Scuff the crack with sand paper.
2.) Wipe the crack with MEK to soften the original material.
3.) Put on a coat of goo.  Let dry 5-10 minutes.
4.) Put on another coat and put a piece of fiberglass cloth in that layer.
5.) Put on additonal layers of goo.

After it cures a few days, you gotta paint it.  I had a gallon of exterior latex color matched to my ABS.  I put it on with a high density foam roller.  It goes on smoooth. You can fix individual spots or paint the whole roof.  I painted my entire roof, plus some other panels on my camper.  I have learned that the paint will peel if water lays on it.  Every spring,  I just pressure wash my roof and put on a fresh coat of paint.  It looks great for the season.

As far as drilling stop holes goes,  I never have and never have had a crack get longer.

Offline DansAndDogs

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:22:41 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I haven't tried the MEK goo recipe, mainly because some of my cracks were freakin' huge.  The fiberglass fix is also starting to crack.  Bigger problem though.....I think it's sagging.  The seal is not touching on the dinette slide out, well, at least it's not touching the top of the slideout, more like the side.  So I guess I need to start a new thread titled: How much does a new roof cost?

2000 Coleman Utah
2006 Town & Country
2006 Town and Country
2000 Coleman Utah

Offline Luv2ridebikes

• Eagle Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »
Bummer - you may be right about the new roof as it sounds like your roof is sagging.  Someone was manufacturing a rack that they claimed would retain structural integrity for a sagging roof,  but I don't know if they are still around.

Steve & Deb (boys are grown & gone)
Aspen & Riley (the 4 legged children)
05 Fleetwood Sequoia & lot's of bikes! BicycleBicycle
Steve and Deb

Offline KMH

• Eagle Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Camping Trips, Mods, and Maintenance
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:23:30 AM »
Dans and Dogs, I'm sorry for your problem, and hope you're able to get this taken care of soon.. As bad as it sounds, it may be worth checking with a local FW dealer, and seeing if you could purchase or take off of their hands, one of the other Warrantied roofs, that isn't nearly as bad as yours? Hey, even a hole in it from a small branch would be better to fix than a sagging roof, right? Sad

I am very glad I found this thread, and another reason why PUP is amazing. Joe (Xolthrax) mentioned he saw it on here, for repairing ABS, which I have to do to the molded propane cover on the Starcraft I just picked up... I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow!

*Kevin*
PopUp1 2001 Starcraft Constellation Gemini
PopUp2 2004 Rockwood 1940 LTD (For Sale) Tow Vehicle 96 Cherokee 2dr 5spd,
Camped '08: 55.~Our 2008 camping trips~. Booked '09: 41 Tongue
~Kevin~
2012 Keystone Passport 235EXP HTT, 2004 Ford Expedition King Ranch

Offline DansAndDogs

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »
Yeah, it is a big bummer.  We just bought the pup last summer, and the more I think about it the fella' I got it from must have known what was coming, he sold it only about a month after buying it himself.  It is odd though that it waited 7 years (until I owned it) to start sagging. OH well.....the joys of buying pre-owned, huh.

2000 Coleman Utah
2006 Town & Country
2006 Town and Country
2000 Coleman Utah

Offline RhinoDave

• Eagle Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »
My Niagara has had a slight sag since about a year after I bought it but I never had any issues with delamination or cracks until this past year. The delamination is only in a few spots right now (looks like bubbles)and at the beginning of the 2008 season I found a couple of small cracks on the front edge of the roof at the drain gutters. After the last trip of the year, I found a huge series of cracks that were hidden under the front edge of the awning. Mine went for over ten years before these issues came up. I have always stored the camper in a garage but would leave it out in the driveway during the camping season. Since I'm the orginal owner, it will going to the dealers for a new roof in March. Estimated cost to me is just over $800.00

Built for comfort...not speed.
97 Coleman Niagra
87 Coleman Sun Valley (project)
08 Chevy Trailblazer
Built for comfort ... not speed.
http://www.flyingrhinocc.com/ It's a lifestyle.

Offline gpd4

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »
For the $800 do you get a new ABS roof or a new style roof?  Mine (2000) has 2 small cracks about 4-5" long over the slideout.  It's bowing a bit, but a lot less in the winter as in the summer.

Offline RhinoDave

• Eagle Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 08:41:57 PM »
I was told by the dealer that the replacement roof will be the Alumi-lite roof that replaced the ABS roof in 2003. The current model Filon roof will not fit the older Colemans. The lifetime warrenty also goes away and is replaced with the current five year warrenty. I haven't challenged this yet but I aways thought "lifetime' meant just that, at least for the orginal owners that purchsed these campers. The biggest problem with challenging the warrenty issue is the fact the brand has changed owners twice since I bought it.

Built for comfort...not speed.
97 Coleman Niagra 87 Coleman Sun Valley (project) 08 Chevy Trailblazer
Built for comfort ... not speed.
http://www.flyingrhinocc.com/ It's a lifestyle.

Offline Luv2ridebikes

• Eagle Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 08:12:08 AM »
If you aren't the original owner - you will be out a lot more than $800.  Those ABS roofs were only covered for the first owner.  I've seen quotes for 2,000 or more to replace an ABS roof with the new (non ABS) style.

Steve & Deb (boys are grown & gone)
Aspen & Riley (the 4 legged children)
05 Fleetwood Sequoia & lot's of bikes! BicycleBicycle
Steve and Deb

Offline plywoody

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
Re: Rubber roof on Coleman ABS
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Any updates on this since the FW financial failure and bailing on travel trailer business? I've got a 2000 Mesa just developed a couple of huge cracks as the weather warmed up this spring.

Bear Creek Canvas