User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Pink Flamingo Hunter
 Views: 284
Posted by gerrybates1
May 12, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

2014 06 17 12 11 04B
 Views: 86
Posted by petlarfla
Jun 17, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

PopupGizmos Solar Bunkend Covers
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Pop up / toy hauler  (Read 38202 times)

Offline AirJunky

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Pop up / toy hauler
« on: February 06, 2009, 02:40:06 AM »
Hey guys,
Just ran across this forum as I'm digging into the idea of making a toy hauler out of a pop up tent trailer. My wife & I have both had pop up tent trailers before we got together. And now days we have a pair of 4x4 ATVs that we enjoy riding. I thought that the ability to put the quads on / in a toy hauler / camper of some kind would get us using them more often. The problem with putting them inside is that we load the quads covered in mud, snow & ice pretty often. Not to mention that I'm just not into paying $15k or $20k for a camper. But I had a similar idea as wileetoyota & found his thread here. Very nice! Also found some pics of a couple of toy haulers made from older tent trailers too. Thought I'd bounce a few ideas around here too.

A few more thoughts that have run thru my head:

- Maybe the camper could be high enough that the beds could be pulled out over the top of the ATVs. Might make additional storage between the camper & the trailer. Might need some stairs to get in & out of the camper though.

- haven't quite identified the right trailer yet...... or the right camper either! But an 8'x20' snowmobile trailer seems pretty ideal. The ones I've seen have a GVW over 3500 lbs and are high enough to provide good clearance underneath, and the deck is over the wheels. I need at least a 7'x8' deck for the quads. And the RV parking by my house is about 22' in length.

- Considering the placement of the camper on the trailer. Seems like if the camper were in the middle, tongue weight would be better off.

-I've also considered the orientation of the camper. ie; beds to the side or beds towards the front/rear of the trailer. The latter seems better as the footprint would be smaller once your opened up in a camp spot. Especially if the ATVs fit under the beds.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this project.

-
Bill

Edited by - AirJunky on February 06 2009  02:53:45

Offline grcooperjr

• Eagle Camper
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Rays camper stuff
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:47:39 AM »
Hi Bill....

Making one is GREAT if ya got the time and pieces. Reading your comments about wanting to keep it loaded while the camper is set up is a bit tough. The only rig I've seen that will do that is a Fleetwood Scorpion. The beds open to the side instead of over the deck. Here is a picture for ya....

And BTW.... WELCOME to the Portal from Portland OR.

Ray Cooper   -  Tigard OR
Tow Vehicle 2007 Hummer H3 - PopUp 2007 Fleetwood Evolution E3
The boys & one Girl... Katie, Buddy, Toby, Ralphie, Sammy, & D.B."Cooper"

Edited by - grcooperjr on February 06 2009  04:48:39

Edited by - grcooperjr on February 06 2009  05:11:52
Ray Cooper  - Tigard OR. - Skype id: GRCOOPERJR
2007 Hummer H3 -  2007 Fleetwood Evolution E3

Offline bud121156

• Eagle Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Pictures
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 05:27:37 AM »
Welcome to the portal!

Donnie
Cheryl
North Carolina
07 Fleetwood Westlake
Donnie & Cheryl
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express Bunkhouse
2000 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 Ext Cab

Offline RhinoDave

• Eagle Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:33:35 AM »
Welcome from Michigan. Always enjoy looking at Mods outside the box. Ever think of possibly making the PU box capable of rotating? You could mount it lengthwise for travel then rotate it so the beds are out to the side and the door opens onto the deck. Just a hairbrained idea my son and I talked about for his Quad and trailer.

Built for comfort...not speed.
97 Coleman Niagara 87 Coleman Sun Valley (project) 08 Chevy Trailblazer
Built for comfort ... not speed.
http://www.flyingrhinocc.com/ It's a lifestyle.

Offline AirJunky

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:32:47 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, guys.
I've been involved with a thread on the ATVNation.com site about this idea (where the Coleman up above came from) & the turn table idea came up there too. A couple of issues I can think of: the turn table itself might be tough to design &/or just make things a bit more difficult. And it seems like having the beds open out to the sides would make the overall footprint of the camper pretty big, ie; over 20' long & 16' or 18' wide. Seems like that might be an issue when using drive thru sites here in the NW with all the trees.

I have seen the Scorpion. Really that is the epitome in design....... and cost. I was hoping to do this for a bit less money. Buying a used pop up would be one way to keep the costs down. And after reading more about wileetoyota's design, I wonder if using a trailer frame & axles would be less expensive than my original idea of using a car/equipment trailer. Obviously there would be some welding & design to do, and I'd have to pay for that. Might keep the total weight down to start with a bare frame too.

Anyway, just kicking ideas around for the project. I don't currently have either the camper or the trailer yet. Just the ideas. And the drive to make it happen.

-
Bill

Offline grcooperjr

• Eagle Camper
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Rays camper stuff
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »
It'll be cool what ever you come up with. Just remember most states have width limits. Here in Oregon is is 110" with out a special permit. Other states may be different. If it is like here that will limit you to a 8 ft box if you make it like a scorpion. I think this is why most folks opt the beds normally so thay can get a longer box size...

Ray Cooper   -  Tigard OR
Tow Vehicle 2007 Hummer H3 - PopUp 2007 Fleetwood Evolution E3
The boys & one Girl... Katie, Buddy, Toby, Ralphie, Sammy, & D.B."Cooper"

Edited by - grcooperjr on February 06 2009  12:25:22
Ray Cooper  - Tigard OR. - Skype id: GRCOOPERJR
2007 Hummer H3 -  2007 Fleetwood Evolution E3

Offline TNB

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 12:32:23 PM »

Offline AirJunky

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
Thanks Tom. I saw wileetoyote's thread & think that is perfect. Looks great & serves all the functionality I want. But I didn't want to kype his thread & post a bunch of pics all over it.

Ray, your point about mounting the camper with the beds going front & rear will probably be the deciding factor.

The fact that wileetoyote installed his with the camper in the rear.... and the two designs I posted above show the camper in the front...... brings up a question. Obviously balancing the whole setup is going to be necessary. Our quads weigh probably 500 or 600 lbs each. I am wondering if mounting the camper in the middle would be better.

I am hoping to use a tandem axle setup with brakes on at least one axle. I'd want to be able to load one or two quads on the trailer & stay safe with the tongue weight. I'm currently towing with a 2005 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4.

-
Bill

Edited by - AirJunky on February 06 2009  17:18:23

Offline wileetoyote

• Camper, 1st Class
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • wusstigphoto
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »
Welcome Airjunky!

My only comment on whatever method you choose is to pay careful attention to what the overall tongue weight is both with and without the quads/toys. Based on a lot of these home-brewed Pop-up toy-hauler pictures I've seen over the last year or so, I'm of the opinion that most have tongue weights that exceed the Mfr's specs which could lead to 1) tow bumper failure 2) bent rear axle housing 3) rear axle bearing failure 4) anything else i can't think of :)

Have you checked out jumpingjacktrailers.com ?

Good luck with the project.

Wile E Toyote
'Super Genius'
Wile E Toyote  'Super Genius'
2002 Coleman Utah E4'ish / 1996 Toyota Landcruiser FJ80
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=13105.0

Offline AirJunky

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »
Hi wileetoyote,
Yea, I have seen the JumpingJack Trailers too. Interesting setup. Found one for sale used for like $4000. And found a double long one for $6500. But it just seems like a strange design. And to have the quads up that high seems pretty crazy. I can't imagine loading the quad up that high after a hard ride.

The tongue weight issue you mention is one reason why I've been thinking that it might be best to place the camper in the middle of the trailer, more balanced on the tandem axles when dry. And I think that doing it the way you did it with the camper in the back, would position the ATVs up front where the tongue weight would be worse. Our ATVs are big 4x4 utility rigs that are like 500 - 600 lbs each. Which makes me think that either placing the camper in the middle, and the quads on the front & rear, or the camper in front, and the quads in back, more over the axles would be better.

I hear your concern, and will definitely be careful.

-
Bill

Edited by - AirJunky on February 06 2009  17:16:49

Offline wileetoyote

• Camper, 1st Class
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • wusstigphoto
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »
good point on the heavy quads, both mine are smaller two-stroke 250's that weigh 300lbs each.

thats a great idea to mount the pup over the axles and having a platform on front and on back but that would limit its versitility a little.

Although I get a strange looks every now and then, I've used my trailer for general utility work like hauling two pallets of sod from HD, returned 17 pallets after I bought 1800 sq ft of pavers, and loaded it up with 2.x4's, plywood, cement bags, and all sorts of other crap whent I built a utility shed for my backyard.

just another thing to consider :)

Wile E Toyote
'Super Genius'
Wile E Toyote  'Super Genius'
2002 Coleman Utah E4'ish / 1996 Toyota Landcruiser FJ80
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=13105.0

Offline bcrewcaptain

• Camper, 1st Class
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »
on my setup I started out with this

the pop up on the front...

instead I will be mounting this

just to save the setup times

the popup is fine, but with the 30 min of setup, its not worth it when I just need to crash at night....works well though

'78 Apache Ramada(in rehab)
'76 Shasta TT(in rehab)
'02 Excursion PSD(wife won't get out of drivers seat)

Offline AirJunky

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »
Hi bcrewcaptain, Nice toys for your hauler!

I've actually run across few toy haulers exactly like what you mention...... some look a bit more redneck than others. But the point is to get your toys on site & provide a place to sleep & take a..... right?

Well, my vanity will probably keep me from getting too homemade on this project. But here is one that I ran across.... good for a laugh anyway.

-
Bill

Edited by - AirJunky on February 06 2009  19:01:02

Offline 96Rockwood

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 09:25:39 PM »
^^Why's that good for a laugh, he's got his toys and a place to sleep, looks well thought out to me.

1978 Bendix Citation (Dodge Sportsman Chassis) The '96 PUP was less work.
2009 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2002 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L 4L85E 4.10 full Floater
2014 Silverado LT 1500 Double Cab 4.3L 6L80E 3.42 axle.

Offline pioneer89820

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Pop up / toy hauler
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 04:18:36 PM »
ok, i've been thinking on doing the same thing myself, but i would really like to mount my pop up sideways on the trailer, or make it rotatable. I just haven't figured out a way to do that yet. i have a 1984 jayco that i think with a little modification i can get it down to 8ft and make it fit sideways on a trailer.