User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 762
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Views: 58
Posted by Crystal Vintage
Oct 28, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

PopUp Times Magazine For Today's Small RV Enthusiast
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Vinyl, carpet or laminate for flooring remodel?  (Read 5757 times)

Offline OffTheGround

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NE [NE]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our Pictures
Vinyl, carpet or laminate for flooring remodel?
« on: February 26, 2009, 01:06:34 AM »
I want to update the flooring in our 1985 Coleman. Vinyl, carpet and laminate appear to be my choices. What are the pros and cons of each material? What has been your experience?

We were at an RV show last month and I liked that the travel trailers had options of carpet or laminate. It seems the PUPS always have sheet vinyl.

OPTIONS......

VINYL:
I was going to use the floating floor Allure vinyl planks that Home Depot sells (we used it in our basement and love it) but with the hot and cold fluctuations I don't think the glue would hold up. I think maybe Joe had trouble with this product in his PUP too?

Then I thought of using the peel and stick squares or planks as it would be a simple installation but some other members had complained of that too in another thread.

In the end, although installation is a little more tricky, sheet vinyl seems to be the best choice if using vinyl. When we did this in an basement entry at our old house, we simply made a template out of paper and cut to fit.

CARPET: (I am talking about wall to wall, not just throw rugs.)

Carpet would feel good and insulate better but I worry about the dirt and having to vacuum.

From reading the other threads, some members have had good luck with using commercial carpet tiles since again it is easy to install and if a section gets damaged it can easily be replaced.

If I got a remnant of carpet, I think I would need some kind of pad under it. I'm not sure how this would work out. Has anyone used the rubber backed carpet with good luck? It also needs to be thin enough to still open the lower cabinets.

LAMINATE:
I like the look better than vinyl but worry about the weight. I did see some cheaper, thinner varieties that had the padding actually on the back already so an underlayment wasn't needed. I think we would need to put small corner-rounds at the edges.

I'd love to hear what others have in their remodeled pups!

Julie ('61), Paul ('61), Sarah ('87), Stephen ('90), Lauren ('94), Erik ('98)
Cady Jo and Lucy (4 legged kids)
Omaha, Nebraska
PU: 1985 Coleman Williamsburg, just purchased November 7th, 2008
TV: 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette

Offline Csea

• Star Camper
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:50:02 AM »
Im going through the same thing of choosing what to put down as my flooring. Im thinking of putting a those peel and stick tiles down.

"Yes im a girl and know how to use power tools! Now hand me that thingy..."

"Pop Up Campers...taking over the world one campsite at a time"

Offline Luv2ridebikes

• Eagle Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:12:44 AM »
We've never changed out a floor. If we did, I think we would stick with a good grade of vinyl - no seams to show dirt and good integrity for keeping water out of the sub floor.

We camp a lot in MI near the lake. So we track a lot of sand into the camper and we have dogs. We can sweep or vacuum the vinyl pretty quickly. It would take a lot more effort to keep carpet clean, especially on rainy days.

Steve & Deb (boys are grown & gone)
Aspen & Riley (the 4 legged children)
05 Fleetwood Sequoia & lot's of bikes! BicycleBicycle
Steve and Deb
Gus - our four legged offspring
2005 Sequoia towed by an 04 Ext Trailblazer and lots of bikes

Offline 3pillons

• Star Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:35:27 AM »
While not glamorous, one sheet of vinyl is probably best. For every reason you mentioned. Laminate is heavy and needs an expansion gap (quarter round), peel and stick squares have gaps and will turn up on the edges ( extreme temperature changes in the pup) and carpet means vaccuums and stains. Find a different pattern of sheet vinyl and save a lot of trouble later. IMHO.

Bryan, Pam, Cameron, and brown dog Gracie.
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan
1992 Viking
Bryan, Pam, Cameron, and canine Gracie.
'04 Ford Expedition, '03 Jayco Jayflight 27BHS
Winder GA

Offline ILUVTHEBEACH

• Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:16:35 AM »
I put the laminate flooring in my pup. I wasn't worried about weight since my camper only weighs 1000 lbs. I think it looks really nice. I also wasn't worried about water under the floating floor. I put it over 2 years ago and it still does the job.

This is what it looked like before I put the laminate flooring down.

'66 Michael Cold Beer; '70 Sherry Happy Camper; '89 Aaron Cool; '94 Annelysse Wink; '00 Frank Hot Dog(Camping Dachshund)
'74 PUMA PopUp
http://community.webshots.com/user/lansdalehulls
Michael '66; Sherry '70; Aaron '89; Annelysse '94; Frank the camping dachshund [DOG]; 74 Puma [PU]; Ford Escape [TV]

Offline silvermickey2002

• Eagle Camper
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Silvermickey's Photobucket Albums
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:24:36 AM »
If you have vinly down then you cold just get a carpet remnant (tight weave) over the vinyl. Don't glue it or tack it down. This way it can be taken out and cleaned. Maybe along some of the corners use velcro to hold it down. At least this way if it gets soaked you can take it out and let it dry!! just a suggestion!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/Silvermickey
2005 Honda Ody
2002 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4
2008 Fleetwood Seapine
Gary
'08 Fleetwood Sea Pine, '12 Ford Explorer, (2014 Nights in Pup-9 / Tent camped-1) Assistant Scoutmaster

Offline John L

• Life Camper
    • VT [VT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
I bought rubber backed, industrial, tight weave carpet squares from a local carpet dealer. They are two feet square and I cut them to fit and just layed them over our vinyl. No glue. No dirt to speak of gets between the tiles, I can pull a dirty tile or two wash and dry them and put them back in. The floor is warmer than vinyl and a quick vacuum when we get home does the trick. I pull them all out in the fall for a good shampooing and I'm ready for the first spring trip. I have never been sorry I installed these carpet tiles.

John & Kitty (Empty Nesters)Camping
'02 Coleman Cottonwood PopUp
'97 Silverado X-Cab Stepside Tow Vehicle

Offline dannyoung

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Photos
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 01:41:01 AM »
There is a fantastic product you can get from Home Depot called TrafficMaster Resilient Flooring. It's a heavy vinyl plank that adheres to itself and floats over existing floors. It looks as good or better than laminate and you don't have to worry about it getting wet. Also since it comes in easy to handle planks, install is a breeze...the most prep you'll have to do is to remove that little aluminum threshold strip at the entrance to most pups. The only tools you need are a sharp utility knife and a good long metal ruler. I put it down in our PUP and it's held up fantastically.

Check out this installation video...

PopUp 1977 StarCraft Starmaster 6
Tow Vehicle 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport

Edited by - dannyoung on May 01 2009  01:53:49
[PU] 1977 StarCraft Starmaster 6
[TV] 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport
[CAM] http://picasaweb.google.ca/DCYSWO[/

Offline 01YZF6

• Eagle Camper
    • AL [AL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Camper, Mods, & Trips
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:50:54 AM »
I like the look of that stuff Danny ! seems thin and durable !

we used peel and stick 12 x 12 tiles on a friends PuP and have not had any issues.

whatever you consider, remember that you need clearance for your cabinets.

when we pulled up the vinyl sheet from the floor it ran under the cabinets and seats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robin - '87 Coleman Newport PopUp '03 Kia Sedona Tow Vehicle
[HY] 00' Aero Cub C230
[TV] 08' Trailblazer
[PU] 87 Coleman Newport (sold)

Offline wishicouldgo2

• Star Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 08:46:39 AM »
We just got a 1983 Starcraft and it has vinyl flooring I would like to replace. Do I need to remove the cabinets first? Can we just put the new flooring on top of the old? Sorry. New at this.

PopUp ClosedTow Vehicle06 Dodge Ram Big Horn 83 Starcraft Venture BarbequeAJ SmoresJen Cowboy CamperDD YuckDS Dogx2
[TV] 06 Dodge Ram Big Horn [PUC] 83 Starcraft Venture 
A rope tied to a limb...ur a big ol' wuss if ya don't jump in....the water

Offline 01YZF6

• Eagle Camper
    • AL [AL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Camper, Mods, & Trips
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 09:48:49 AM »
I personally would remove the old flooring, layering on top of the old one can cause moisture, dirt, and spaces fro critters. unless it is super solid to the floor ( no rips, lifts, bubbles or warps)

if it runs wall to wall ( under the cabinets) you can try trim it with a knife first to see if that is enough to pull up the old one and put your new floor down. however, you may be able to unscrew the cabinets and simply remove them. I have not had to do this yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robin - '87 Coleman Newport PopUp '03 Kia Sedona Tow Vehicle
[HY] 00' Aero Cub C230
[TV] 08' Trailblazer
[PU] 87 Coleman Newport (sold)

Offline mruss1993

• Camper, 1st Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 11:04:47 AM »
Danny, I like the looks of that product...Do you have any pics of it in the pup..

'93 JAYCO CARDINAL DESIGNER
ME 74, DW '73, DS '92, '93,'94,
'99(X2),DD'98,'05
Nights camped 5 Nights Res. 5
'93 Jayco Cardinal SD
me '74 dw'73 ds '92 '93 '94 '99x2 dd '98 '05
Nights camped '09=11 nights res.=5

Offline dannyoung

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Photos
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 11:54:04 AM »
I didn't purposely take any photos of the floor, but here are a few that show it. When I get the PUP out into the sun this year I will take some more photos.

Offline dannyoung

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Photos
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 03:47:35 PM »
You don't need to remove your old floor with this stuff. It doesn't care what's underneath it; in fact the company flogs it as a way to block damp migration in concrete floors. You wouldn't need to take out your cabinets, but I would suggest that you remove the quarter round (if you have any) and reinstall (or install) quarter round once your done.

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 10:59:48 PM »
I bought an eight-foot length of indoor/outdoor carpet off the roll at Home Depot. (The roll is six feet wide.) Then I made a precise floor pattern with newspaper and tape, laid it over the carpet and cut it with an Exacto knife and drywall square. It fits so perfectly that there isn't a wrinkle or gap anywhere. The odd shape of it (fitting around cabinets and stuff) prevents it from moving. There was no need for any adhesive. I can just pull it out and vacuum it on the garage floor when necessary (which isn't often because shoes always come off before entering the PUP). The floor is quieter, warmer and matches the PUP's color scheme perfectly. It looks like it came from the factory that way. I bought an extra eight feet that I use outside as a matching awning mat.

1998 Explorer Sport & 2007 Fleetwood Yuma
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."