User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 716
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

I got it!
 Views: 151
Posted by rfd21170
Oct 21, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Door question by 1380ken
[Today at 02:00:16 PM]

2014 California Halloween Rally by ShackDiva
[Today at 01:59:22 PM]

canvas over beds by smit1088
[Today at 01:55:16 PM]

Travelers with CCL's by WingShot
[Today at 01:52:30 PM]

2006 Fleetwood Niagara Pop up VIN # by bondebond
[Today at 01:42:42 PM]

Rockwood w/ZAMP solar prep / inverter question by wecamp
[Today at 01:37:33 PM]

Switched Voltmeter; 110v outlet w/USB; LED replacement - with pics! by Customer
[Today at 01:34:53 PM]

2015 Texas Puppers Spring Rally by Ryanincc
[Today at 01:26:02 PM]

2015 - Texas Puppers Winter Rally by Ryanincc
[Today at 01:21:54 PM]

Question about used camper by WingShot
[Today at 01:21:33 PM]

2014 Midwest Halloween Rally by efehser
[Today at 01:02:28 PM]

Good news, everyone! by MItoVA
[Today at 12:51:15 PM]

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Starcraft crank wont go Counterclockwise  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Mojojojo

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Starcraft crank wont go Counterclockwise
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:29:24 AM »
Basically just what the title says. Have an old 85 starcraft starlite 14 footer and I have the cable wiring diagram and yes some cables are broken which is why I am messing with this in the first place.

It's a Shelby model 110.5435 1201lb crank and I googled and didn't see anything about them. It's in the back right, where you crank it up.

System cranks clockwise, which is raising it, but won't go in reverse to let down the roof, which I have taken off, (nor would it go counterclockwise before I took it apart which is the reason I took it aparty) right now. The lock arm does not release, I took the whole thing apart *and tomorrow I will do it again since after I put it all back in, I noticed the washer I left out * Gears were all fine everything moved easily once I lubricated.. when it was apart with lock arm off. Once I reassembled it all back together, put the lock arm on, no reverse action still. I have jiggled it.. wiggled it, heck even tickled it and it will not pop the lock arm off, less I manually crawl under and pull the arm back with my finger.

There is nothing that I see that pushes the lock arm back to allow you to lower the roof, unless there is some special trick that I am not aware of? I read on a different type of pulley system that the weight of the roof affects this. I don't see how, but I'm new to this.
If I had another person.. who was cranking while I'm underneath and pull the lock arm out, I can lower it, but that is kind of defeating the idea of fixing it.

Am I not seeing something for trying? There is no bind on the system since I have the roof off. I have the fourstage lift arms *two with broken cables.* extended out.. there is no cable on the spindle that the four cables feed into at the moment. The cables move freely and pulleys do too. Any ideas on what I need to do? I would think there is some sort of lock to release so it lets the top down, like with a come along, but there is not.

Thanks.

Edited by - Mojojojo on March 04 2009 12:13:11

Edited by - Mojojojo on March 04 2009 12:17:22

Edited by - Mojojojo on March 04 2009  12:21:57

Offline JamesRL

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »
Not sure if its the same issue, but my 76 Lionel has a cable system with two "shafts" coming out of the gear box. One attaches to the crank, the other locks or unlocks the mechanism, allowing you to crank down. But in order to crank down, you actually have to have some pressure on the crank in the "up"direction, before you can turn the shaft to the down position.

James

1976 Lionel LPL 80
2002 Mazda MPV, 16' Canoe
Wife/3 Kids/Black Lab
James (61), DS (94), DD (95), DD(97)
1991 Coleman Roanoke Royale
2007 Pontiac Montana SV6

Offline Mojojojo

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »
Thanks for reply JamesRL but, there is only one shaft attached to gear system. I have added a very poorly drawn picture lol..for a better idea on it.

Offline Tahoein Bunch

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »
Maybe a silly ? But is the lock open on the left side of the winch? The little arm thing.

Greg

8 days in 09,  1 Day in 10.....

Offline nib114

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »
i`m not sure if our winch`s are the same but mine looks similar to your drawing and i had a spring that went on the bolt before the pawl [arm thing] and would wrap under the pawl and the other side under somrthing else [can`t remember what] but it was very hard to get that spring under the pawl. now i`m not sure if that was for locking it while cranking it up or helping on the way down but hopefully it might put you in the right direction.

me 62 wife 66 kids 98         1996 starcraft starlounge 1224

Offline Mojojojo

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:22:03 PM »
Ok, took winch all apart again.. put it back together, put the washer where it was supposed to be.. :D .. and would not go counter clockwise. Gave up. Worked on the lift arms and cables. Got them wired.. arms were a little bent and are hard to go up and down even with camper top off.. great..

Guess what.. once I cranked a bit .. got some tension on the arms.. crank now turns counter clockwise. Go figure.

Yes, the spring is a booger to behind the pawl. Didn't take it off this time.. snapped it back and removed the gears.

Now to get the top back on.. the canvas put back in.. and see if it will crank up and down. If it doesn't I'm just going to dump it for cheap.

Edited by - Mojojojo on March 04 2009  21:30:21

PopUpGizmos Cooler Covers