User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Camping in Atacama Desert Chile
Our first bondock camping at the Atacama Desert
 Views: 58
Posted by chileankj
Mar 15, 2014
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Views: 125
Posted by kmarie0729
Yesterday
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Let the new mods begin by jwrober
[Today at 08:46:01 PM]

WTB: Popup in MI by mickaqua
[Today at 08:40:58 PM]

How to sell your camper. by SidecarMike
[Today at 08:40:53 PM]

NTU 1983 Coleman Columbia by Nandy
[Today at 08:40:45 PM]

How to wash dishes properly while camping by West Coast Canuck
[Today at 08:40:15 PM]

Portal Pennant? by kitphantom
[Today at 08:31:48 PM]

I see the light!!! (am I suppose to?) by RockyRoo
[Today at 08:26:36 PM]

'03 Rockwood 1640 questions by mtnkube
[Today at 08:18:54 PM]

Any mechanics on here...need some advice. by RockyRoo
[Today at 08:18:10 PM]

How big is your carpet?? by Sharon
[Today at 08:11:38 PM]

1993 Flagstaff roof repair by CamoPupCamper
[Today at 08:03:47 PM]

The Music Game by jlynn58
[Today at 07:59:13 PM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Fleetwood Bayside or Flagstaff  (Read 2774 times)

Offline bamoien

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • SD [SD]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Fleetwood Bayside or Flagstaff
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:43:09 AM »
Opinons, comments, suggestions please. We are tryiong to decide between these two campers for purchase. Some questions I have are:
When I spoke with the salesman at te flagstaff dealership they said they will not sell a pup with a slide out because after time when you sleep on both ends at night it will pull the middle of the camper apart. Not sure waht to think here. I really like the slide out and with three kids 11, 9, and 3 the extra room is really nice. So is the salesman very honest or is flagstaff not the quality of fleetwood/coleman. (I know the history here)My other question is that the fleetwood has a hot water heater which I think would be nice but the flagstaff doesn't have one. Thoughts on that also please. Do you use hot water in your camper. I think we would since it has an outside shower and my kids like to play, so I think it would be nice to hose em off before getting into the camper, at least their feet. Thanks for your advice?

Offline gkosel

• Star Camper
    • ND [ND]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Gregg's Camping Page
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:17:46 AM »
From what I have heard, Flagstaff's are good campers and haven't heard anyone say to avoid them. As you will find in many comparison threads here most of the major PUP manufactures are pretty comparable as far as quality goes. Regarding the camper pulling apart, that seems pretty drastic and I have never read about that happening to anyone.

Check out the following recent thread:

Are Slide-Outs to be avoided?

I love my water heater and would definitely recommend one. I use mine every single time I go out. Even if it is just for washing hands and face it is really nice to have hot water.

I really liked the idea of the outside shower (and still do) when I bought my camper and that is one of the reasons I picked my Jayco over the Palomino that I was also looking at. I do have to admit Blush that I haven't used mine yet. I have plans to use it this year though. For example, if you have a ton of over-sized dishes/pans to clean, you could set up a dish-washing station by the shower and use the hot water there. Also for washing little dirty hands/feet after being in the water/dirt.

Gregg - '71 Barbeque Mitchell - '95 Happy Camper Alex - '99 Happy Camper
1998 Chevy Tahoe Tow Vehicle 2008 Jayco 1207 PopUp
A bad day camping is better than a good day at work.
Gregg '71 [8D] Mitchell '95 [:)C] Alex '99 [:)C]
2008 Jayco 1207 [PU][TV] 2011 Chevy Avalanche
A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!

Offline Digger

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics Website
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:19:43 AM »
Welcome to the Portal!

I've never heard of anyone complaining about their camper splitting apart in the middle because of a slideout.

When I was preparing to purchase, I looked at both Flaggstaff and Fleetwood. I've gotta say that in my personal opinion, the Fleetwood seemed to be put together better...better materials, and better workmanship.

Hot water is great to have..even if you just use it to wash your hands and brush your teeth....It certainly makes dishwashing much easier, and sanitary.

Good luck with your decision....

~Cheers~ Scooter igger
'04 Fleetwood Westlake (StonyBlue)/'02 Ford E-150
Nites camped: 2007-8, 2008-39, 2009-5(resvd-12)
~Cheers~  igger
'04 Fleetwood Westlake (StonyBlue)/'02 Ford E-150
Nites camped: 2007-8, 2008-39, 2009-50 (camped every month), 2010-14, 2011-14

Offline Darslife

• Camper, 1st Class
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Pictures
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »
Welcome to the portal!!

Although I don't have as much information to offer as some of the more experienced pup owners I have to say I could not live without my slide. With three kids and a dog, it can get cramped!!

Like you I was trying to decide between a flagstaff and a fleetwood...I also have the opinion that fleetwood is a little better put together (but then again I am not an expert).  The deciding factor was the dealer, we bought our Fleetwood Saratoga from the nicest people and even taking it back for warranty and service (which you will do) has been the best experience as far as service goes!!  

Darlene
TV 08 Ram 1500, 07 Fleetwood Saratoga
13 nights booked in 2009

Offline Twisty

• Diamond
  • Eagle Camper
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »
Hot water - YES!
Slide out - sounds to me like the dealer didn't have one to sell to you. Why would someone say that when many of the slide out models are more expensive and the dealer would make more profit?
Our slide is rated to 1000 lbs. I assume that is conservative because of liability issues. Same for the beds being rated to 1200 lbs? (Couldn't find the number?) I wouldn't hesitate to put 800 lbs on each bed and 900 lbs in the slide out and let it sit for two months. It's a Fleetwood. Yeah, I'm a little biased.

2004 Fleetwood Utah
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 Ext. Cab
www.CWhatIC.net
Twisty should be used for entertainment purposes only.
2014 Boss 6.2 F350
2012 SV264

Offline Luv2ridebikes

• Eagle Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
I'm a Fleetwood/Coleman owner too, but I've never heard of any brand having the kind of problem your dealer is talking about. There are plenty of very happy Flagstaff owners on this forum. I think your sales person has some other agenda or is ill informed. EIther way - I'm not impressed.

As to hot water, our first 3 pop ups didn't have it and we got by just fine. Now we've got it and don't plan to ever go back. Yes we like our luxuries, but at least it still has canvas walls.

Steve & Deb (boys are grown & gone)
Aspen & Riley (the 4 legged children)
05 Fleetwood Sequoia & lot's of bikes! BicycleBicycle
Steve and Deb
Aspen and Riley - our four legged offspring
2005 Sequoia towed by an 04 Ext Trailblazer and lots of bikes

Offline Campers 3

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »
Welcome to the Portal.

I too am fairly new to the PUP thing and purchased a gently used 2007 Bayside CP last year and have to say I love it. I haven't had previous pups to compare it to but I like everything about it. The slide gives you so much more floor space that you don't feel that you are on top of each other. We have had four adults at the table playing cards, two kids at one end watching movies and still a load of room to spare. I too have hot water and it makes dish washing much easier. The shower is good for hosing down the young ones and I'm looking to buy a "shower tent" so that the adults can shower outside as well and avoid the public showers. I felt that the Fleetwood had the upper hand on some of the craftmanship and materials, but that is only my personal opinion. Another nice feature that mine came with was the cassette toilet. It has been wonderful for my 4 year old daughter or we would have been heading out to the restrooms 5 times a night. In my opinion the only drawback to the slide is that it adds a bit of weight to your pup weight, but that would only be a concern depending on what you would be towing with? Another nice feature is the cargo box on the front of the Bayside, I'm not sure what we would do without it.

All the Best in your venture.

JP
2007 Fleetwood Bayside PopUp
2006 Honda Pilot Tow Vehicle

Offline 5Star

• Camper, 1st Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:18:29 PM »
Welcome, Pull apart????

I've never heard such a thing. I have a fleetwood with a slide and hot water, and love it...
I wanted all the amenities of a TT and bought the fleetwood High wall pup and never looked back.
We use the hot water heater on every trip. Also the full bath.

Bill, Renee, 3 Girls, 2 dumb dogs.
Tow Vehicle 07 Ram QC Hemi PopUp06 Niagara
06 Durango Hemi  2010 Rockwood 2701 SS 
07 Ram 1500 QC Hemi  08 Glastron DS-215 5.0 Volvo Penta
Bill, Renee, 3 girls, 1 silly dogs. nites camped

Offline Nikita

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:39:29 PM »
Sounds like the salesman didn't have what you wanted so he made up an excuse. The dealer in Bath NY was very honest. We have a hot water tank (full bath) and ours is in the Classic series. I just checked my brochure. The smaller pups don't have them.

We couldn't decide between the Flagstaff/Coleman either. It came down to comfort. The couch had cushions on an angle with rounded edges and the dinette had the nice cushions too. I found a dealer with a williamsburg and a used 625D. I spent about an hour by myself sitting and I found the 625D more comfortable. My hubby thought the same.
If you still cannot decide than go with the service department you like better.

Renee and Tommy
09 Flagstaff 625D
01 Tacoma

Edited by - Nikita on April 02 2009  22:41:46
Renee and Tommy
09 Flagstaff 625D  02 Tacoma
2 Dachshunds - Jack and Chloe