User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 685
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

1999 Flagstaff 620 Classic
 Views: 19
 Rating: 4.97
Posted by bhesse
Yesterday
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: cleaning the canvas  (Read 29793 times)

Offline martica

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
cleaning the canvas
« on: April 24, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the canvas. I have a 2000
Dutchmen and I just finished the outside taking off all of the old decals and caulking, now I'm starting on the inside. I'm taking
the covers off of the beds and dinette and plan on washing them in
cold water and air drying. The pop up is in pretty good shape just
needs a really good cleaning. I'm really not sure on the best way
to clean the canvas, how to wash then rinse and dry. I'm a newbie
Is it okay to put the covers for the bed and dinette in the washer?

Thanks,
Martha

Offline NYgranny

• Eagle Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
cleaning the canvas
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
We washed all our cushion and bed covers and curtains in cold water in the washer on gentle cycle. we put the covers in the dryer (again, low heat) and hung the curtains in the pup to dry. The plastic hangers for the curtains don't seem to stay in the channels as well as they originally did. I don't know if this is from washing, or just general wear and tear.

GRAMMY (me) '48
DH '49
'04 Starcraft2409
Let's go camping!
Barb

Offline Sugarbugga

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
cleaning the canvas
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:01:23 PM »
I took off all the covers off the cushions and off the mattress and washed them in the washing machine on gentle cycle with woolite. Then hung them up to air dry and put them back on. I didnt have as much trouble with the cushions as I did the mattress covers, about never got them back on. It took my husband, my daughter and me to hold it to get them all back on. We bought it used and it was very well keep but I wasnt about to sleep on them without first washing it. Good luck!!

The two most common elements in the world are hydrogen and stupidity.
Don't drown the man who taught you to swim.
Bill, Sandra, Kristie & Kaylie
03 Chevy Silverado 00 Jayco Eagle

Offline Mr. Bill

• Star Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
cleaning the canvas
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
I have talked with forest river (my camper maker) and they told me 1 part bleach, 1 part vinegar, 2 parts water. Put in spray bottle and spray on and leave. I have also heard of lysol and water and one dealer told me to use simple green. I have only tried the first solution and it has worked so far. But I only did it last night. If you use it VENTILATE.

I found this on the internet also:
Before using any product to remove mold and mildew stains from the canvas of a popup camper, start by drying the canvas in direct sunlight. The sunlight will dry the canvas, and it will kill any live mold and mildew spores.

After the popup camper canvas is completely dry, brush the mold and mildew-covered canvas with a wisk broom or other stiff brush. Vacuum the canvas to remove the dried mold and mildew, and continue with a cleaning method suggested by the manufacturer of your popup camper, or you can try the following homemade canvas cleaner.

Rubbing Alcohol Solution

After brushing and vacuuming the canvas of your popup camper, mix a solution of half rubbing alcohol and half water. Test the solution on an inconspicuous area of the mold and mildew-stained canvas. Simply apply the rubbing alcohol solution with a white cotton rag, and if the solution does a good job and doesnt compromise the canvas in any way, continue cleaning the rest of the mold and mildew-stained canvas.

Lastly, I have heard of using a cleaner someone bought from bass pro shops called lemon mold and mildew cleaner that they swear by. Here is the link.

http://www.popupportal.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16160&FORUM_ID=56&CAT_ID=18&Topic_Title=Mold+and+Mildew+Madness&Forum_Title=Canvas+%2F+Awnings+%2F+Add+a+Rooms+%2F+Tarps

How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
PUP=2002 Forest River 725D  TV=2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab
Me(49), DW(51), DD(17), DS(12)

Offline aps232

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
cleaning the canvas
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »
I did a search on the INTERNET and found that you should use 1/4 cup laundry detergent, 2 tbsp vinegar and one gallon of water. I did it this morning using purex free and clear. It is cleaner and my husband is happy with it!
Alyssa-25
DH-25
William-6
Clairees-8M
1981 Jayco

Offline John L

• Life Camper
    • VT [VT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
cleaning the canvas
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:10:32 PM »
Try using Woolite. You may be surprised and it's recommended by Coleman.

John & Kitty (Empty Nesters)Camping
'02 Coleman Cottonwood PopUp
'97 Silverado X-Cab Stepside Tow Vehicle

Offline tatertots4

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: cleaning the canvas
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
Just finished cleaning our "new-to-us" 2003 Coleman Santa Fe.  The canvas was dirty with brown spots on it and some mold.  Used 1 cap Woolite liquid detergent mixed in a bucket with warm water.  Then used a long-handled kitchen scrub brush (bristles not too hard--sort of medium stiffness) to scrub the outside of the canvas and bed areas.  Worked great!  Also put some in a spray bottle to use on tough spots.  Still have to clean the inside, but the outside looks brand new.

One question, do I now need to go back and waterproof it with something (wondering if I scrubbed that off)?

Thanks!
I used to be nice to look at, now I'm just fun to watch.

ORCCGEAR.COM - ORCC Gear Store, Quality Gear for the Outdoor Enthusiast