User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Pink Flamingo Hunter
 Views: 305
Posted by gerrybates1
May 12, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

2014 06 17 12 11 04B
 Views: 182
Posted by petlarfla
Jun 17, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Fleetwood/Coleman Sun Valley Rear Body Panel is Separating  (Read 3503 times)

Offline sk91709

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Fleetwood/Coleman Sun Valley Rear Body Panel is Separating
« on: June 11, 2009, 02:04:16 AM »
Hi all,

I've had my 99 Sun Valley for a little under a year. On the last trip out, I noticed that rear ABS body panel seems to be pulling away from box on the passenger side.  Looking into the crack between the ABS and the body, I can see a thin piece of plywood (maybe 3/8") that appears to be at an odd angle.

I've looked around and haven't seen a lot of posts discussing removing and reattaching this part. Looking at the piece itself, it's not obvious to me how it's attached to the rest of the box.  I'm wondering if it's attached by fasteners that are covered by interior furnishings that need to be removed?

Has anyone done it? Got any advice for a relative newbie?

Thanks,
Scott
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:50:28 AM by sk91709 »
Scott (72), DW (71), DD (01), DS (02), DD (05)

1999 Coleman Sun Valley, N2U 2008 [PU] [TV] 2008 Honda Odyssey

Offline sk91709

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Fleetwood/Coleman Sun Valley Rear Body Panel is Separating
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:49:05 AM »
I guess I'm on my own on this one?

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »
I believe that the panel is riveted on, screws along the bottom. Can you see in the top edge of the panel before you pull the buck out, or remove a taillight.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline NE_FL_CAMPERS

• Camper, 1st Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:30:49 AM »
Hey Scott,,sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, I've been away from my computer for few days.
I have removed the rear panel from my 95 Avalon several times.
Most are held on with rivets along the bottom and top.
You can get these at one of the box type stores
When you raise the roof they should be visible. Just drill them out with the proper size bit,can't remember what the size I used.Remove any brackets attached to the rear panel,bed support brackets,bumpers.
Gently work the panel off from the bottom,along the edges then the top.
You will more then likely get some cracks or even breakage.
These can be repaired from the INSIDE of the panel with Marine Tex or a solution of ground up ABS chips mixed with MEKP to make a pancake type mixture.
Mix small amounts of the MEKP & ABS chips it will dry fairly quickly.
Drill small holes at the ends of any cracks you have,sand the inside area to clean it.I used a finger nail emory board to sand the inside of each crack to to in larger area for the ABS/MEKP mixture to work in.
any small pieces that broke off I put back in place with PVC clear glue then bonded the back with the ABS mixture .The only areas you should need sand will be the outside for cosmetic,the paint.
Hope this helps.If not feel free to contact me.
Phil
Phil Smith
First Coast Campers Club
We're on Facebook

Offline sk91709

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
Thanks for great reply. That ABS repair sounds suspiciously like work... :)

I'm somewhat hampered by the ability to work on the thing at my home (steep driveway, low overhead in garage). But, from what I remember last time I had it up, there are rivets or screws holding a metal 'L' shaped bracket across the top (looks like the bunk-end stop), but I don't remember that it spanned the gap to the ABS panel. Hence, my confusion on what is actually holding the thing on across the top.

There are screws along the bottom edge that do connect the panel. What's the deal with the channels along the rear edge on the metal side panels? Is the ABS supposed to lock into those channels?

Can I get the panel off with a half-pop, you think?

Offline NE_FL_CAMPERS

• Camper, 1st Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 02:41:45 PM »
"There are screws along the bottom edge that do connect the panel. What's the deal with the channels along the rear edge on the metal side panels? Is the ABS supposed to lock into those channels? "

The sides of the rear panel slips into the channels for support and aligenment.
The top strip should be secured to the camper,,the panel slips under & into to strip,,rivets are the put in the strip from the top down into the abs.
Caution needs to be used her,,if you drill the holes to large the new rivets will not fit and lock in to place.
I used a the Arrow 3/16" dia X 1/4" grip.
I would suggest useing a longer grip,,the 1/4 does not allow enough to always catch and pull the panel in to place.
Also these rivets are very hard to set with a manual gun.

Phil Smith
First Coast Campers Club
We're on Facebook

Offline sk91709

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »
Thanks again... I just popped it up a few inches to get a better look. The top metal strip is held on by phillips head fasteners, so that's good (no rivets). And I see what you mean about the panel going under that strip.

However, it appears that the problem may be more structural than I originally thought. For example, if I give a tug to the spare tire, it moves the rear panel in and out. So, I'm thinking that it's actually the framing that the panel (and the spare) is attached to that is coming loose.

Any thoughts on what the framing is like? I hate to take it apart to check it out. I may not be able to get it back together before the next trip (2 weekends).

I'd also hate to lose the back of the trailer on the road... [:D]

I can see some wood under the strip through the crack (like a 2x2). I assume there's metal framing in there somewhere... What's the framing like?

Offline bobhcs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:26:41 PM »
Hi Scott,

I had what sounds like a similar problem on my 2000 Coleman Cheyenne last year.  The inside back panel was starting to break loose from the sides and then pushing the outside back panel back.  I uploaded some pictures that might help.

http://community.webshots.com/album/563992493TbYAFu

The 1x2 on one side of the back panel was breaking loose.  My fix was to make a small piece of metal to reinforce it.  I just used an L bracket that I had laying around.

I went ahead and reinforced both sides while I had it open.  I think it was stronger than the original construction after this and the fix was simple.  I'm not sure if you have the same problem or not but I thought it might help to see this.  There are more pics at the link, including what the back looks like with the panel fully removed.

Bob
Bob [CO]  --Camping with Solar Power--
2008 Ford F-150 SuperCrew [TV]
2011 Trailmanor 2720 [PU]

Offline bobhcs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:30:34 PM »
By the way it wasn't too bad getting it back together afterwords.  I just had to take my time and get everything lined up.  I only spent a couple hours on the whole process.

Bob

Offline sk91709

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
Bob -

You rock! Yes, I think I have the same problem.

Thanks for the great pics. I feel much better about opening it up now that I have seen those. I'm pretty sure the construction will be similar on mine.

Thanks to you, Phil, and Ray for your help!

Offline bobhcs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »
Glad I could help!

Offline sk91709

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 01:25:09 AM »
All - I wanted to post a quick after-action report.

I stand before you today on the shoulders of giants... Okay, maybe too dramatic, but I wanted all to know that I completed this repair with plenty of time 'til my next trip. You can see some pics at photobucket.

http://s634.photobucket.com/albums/uu64/sk91709/99%20Coleman%20Rear%20Panel%20Repair/?albumview=slideshow

I had a split rail on top, and I was missing a wood screw holding the wood frame to the angle-iron frame of the camper.  Like Bob, I reinforced mine with a metal bracket, and then bolted and lock-nutted that bad-boy on there. It's better than stock, fo' sho'.

Phil's recipe for ABS repair with MEK was spot-on, and I fixed the cracks along the bottom of the panel where the bottom screws hold it on. The repair doesn't look great, but it's a hidden part of the panel, and it seems plenty strong.

This is why this is the best PUP community on the 'net... Thanks again, gents!

For me, a few things to note:
  • Getting the panel off required me to use a putty knife under the metal trim piece on the top of the panel. There was some kind of tar-like stuff under there. I'm not sure if it was original weatherstripping, or if it was someone's earlier attempt to fix this problem. Once I cut through that stuff underneath the length of the metal trim, the ABS panel came right out.
  • Replacing the panel was a little dicey, because that metal trim piece wanted to push back under the bunk-end. I had to pull it out with pliers while I pushed the ABS panel underneath it. Getting it lined up with the screw holes through the metal, ABS, and wood deck took a little effort, too.
  • All told, the repair too me a few hours. It wasn't that bad at all. Now that rear panel and spare mount are solid as a rock. I'm good to go!

Next thing to do is lube the lift system. Never done it before, but I know there's lots of posts about it...

'Til next time... Happy Camping!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:45:49 AM by sk91709 »

Offline 505coleman

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 12:07:32 AM »
Great pics to add to the first batch previously posted.  Very helpful info.  Mine was doing the same thing but I did notice a crack in the top of my ABS panel by the first  screw.  That crack was the culprit!  There was water getting in and it wrecked the wood in that corner as well as down below.  I have a lot of repair to do to the wood.  I'm thinking of replacing the top 1x4 piece with a piece of plywood and replaceing the upright suport pieces with some trex.  We'll see how it goes.  I also need to repair the ABS.  I'm going ot give Airsoft BB's a shot to see if they make a good patching mixture.  We'll see how that goes.  I'll post up results if it goes well.  Great info guys!   [:D]

Offline 505coleman

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 01:04:15 AM »
Well, the repair went pretty well.  I ended up replacing the two vertical pieces in the corners, the top 1x4 piece, and a small piece of the lower wafer board with a synthetic wood material.  It held together very solid once all the screws were set.  Remember to pre-drill all holes if using this material as it tends to crush if you don't.  I used Crossman white airsoft ammo with M.E.K. for my ABS patching material and it worked amazingly well.  It was a bit warm the day I did the patch so it stayed a little flexible for my taste, but once it sat overnight and had a chance to harden, it was a great patch with no need to paint it.  Great info from everyone on this repair.  Thanks!

Offline sk91709

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 09:23:09 AM »
Sounds like you improved on OEM on that repair, no question.

Great tip on the ABS material, too. I've got some patches to do on my front panel and would hate to have to use black ABS!  [:(O] That MEK/ABS repair is kind of magical, isn't it?

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.