User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 718
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

I got it!
 Views: 167
Posted by rfd21170
Oct 21, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Good news, everyone! by PNW Family
[Today at 03:03:28 AM]

First time popup owner! by gardenbliss
[Today at 01:34:10 AM]

Front Storage Box Repair by Dubbya
[Today at 01:32:10 AM]

2015 - California Winter Rally - Potluck by gardenbliss
[Today at 01:29:27 AM]

2006 Fleetwood Niagara Pop up VIN # by mart656
[Today at 01:28:11 AM]

2014 Midwest Halloween Rally by efehser
[Today at 01:11:14 AM]

Supplies for setting up by Snow
[Today at 12:35:15 AM]

Keeping Warm by davido
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Travelers with CCL's by Creeppingcharlie
[Today at 12:20:45 AM]

2015 - Texas Sweetheart Rally by Indy
[Today at 12:08:21 AM]

Rockwood w/ZAMP solar prep / inverter question by speckhunter80
[Yesterday at 11:11:33 PM]

Helping winterize by swordfish
[Yesterday at 11:11:30 PM]

ORCCGEAR.COM - ORCC Gear Store, Quality Gear for the Outdoor Enthusiast
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Top 10 Reasons Why My PopUp Camper is the Best Camper on the Planet!  (Read 21230 times)

Offline JoeCamper

• Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Canvas Campers
Just kidding...  :)

I don't really want to start any holy wars over brands or floorplans, but I wanted to share an appreciation for my newest love my n2me 1999 Coleman Sun Valley.

A little introduction: We are a young family in southern California with three kids under age 7. I've backpacked and tent-camped since I was a kid. My DW grew up in the city, and her closest thing to camping was cabin camping. After we married, she was a trooper as we stuffed all of us, a big 'ole tent, the cooler, the sleeping bags, etc., etc. in our mini-van and camped. The kids were crammed in between the stuff, and the car was packed to the headliner.

During one trip out with a group, a friend showed up with his Coleman PUP. His wife showed my wife the camper, and after that we decided that would be the way to go. The theory was, we'd leave everything mostly packed in the camper, throw some clothes and some food in the fridge, and we'd be out the door. No more trigonometry trying to shoe-horn the stuff in the van.

A few months later, we started surfing Craigslist, and we found a few in our area. We looked at a couple, and then saw this Sun Valley. It was beautiful and clean. We fell in love with the floorplan, and the amenities. We bought it the next day. I'd never towed anything before, so there was a steep learning curve on outfitting the TV with brake controllers, 7 pin sockets, GVWRs, WDH, etc. I did a lot of reading here, and other places, and the collected knowledge at this site is phenomenal, and helped me avoid countless SPUTs.

We've had her out for four trips now, and we're feeling like we're getting in the groove. We've decided that it isn't really any less work than tent camping for setup and take-down, but it's a whole lot more comfortable when you're there. And it does make packing for the trip a whole lot easier. So, mission accomplished. With a 10 year old trailer, there are little things to repair and mod all the time, but I kinda like that; she's like my little mechanical project.

With that long-winded intro, on to the list... Drum roll, please.

Top Ten Reasons my Sun Valley is the Best Camper on the Planet:

10. ABS roof... I know, much maligned. But seriously, a one piece, seamless roof? That's genius. Too bad they had early manufacturing problems. Mine is 10 years old and still going strong.

9. Fits in my 3-car garage with two other cars. Try that with a TT.

8. A 26 ft camper in a 12 ft box. Okay, they're counting the tongue, but who cares? It's still cool.

7. Two king-sized beds. Goucho couch, and dinette. 360 degree views and breezes with windows all around. No claustrophobic, tin-can camper. Really comfortable if we're hanging out inside.

6. The fridge is accessible when the top is down. Makes packing a breeze. BTW, this fridge gets so cold, it'll freeze stuff. No fan mods necessary.

5. I tow it with my 2008 Honda Odyssey which can run on 3, 4, or 6 cylinders. I clocked 24.9 MPG towing her 250 miles on our last trip. LOL to the fifth-wheelers!

4. Nicely balanced and extremely well-mannered on the road. All the heavy stuff's forward of the axle.

3. Everything we wanted (fridge, hot water, furnace), and nothing we didn't (A/C, inside shower, cassette toilet). As with all things, the simpler, the better. Less to break and maintain.

2. It's paid for!

And the number one reason why the Coleman Sun Valley is the Best Camper on the Planet, is...
1. Civilized enough for her; camping enough for me!

I hope you don't mind my little introduction and trip down lover's lane for my new camper. I'm sure others will have appreciation for theirs. Share the love. Happy Camping!

Submitted by member: sk91709

Read other member's comments here:http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=28407.msg156354#msg156354
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:02:55 PM by JoeCamper »
[CC] Joe '71 [XK] dmsgirl '67' [:)C] Ashley '97 [Guitar] Eric '98 [DOG] Chips
'08 Jeep  &  '11 Coleman Avalon

Road Shower - The Rack Mounted Solar Shower