User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 1089
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Calman Trike and Pop-up
 Views: 216
Posted by Calman
Dec 02, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Coleman/Fleetwood Parts Sources by Ryanincc
[Today at 08:47:28 PM]

toilet by tenttrailer
[Today at 08:06:53 PM]

Chilly Nights with the Young'uns? by 94-D2
[Today at 08:02:55 PM]

Do we really have to winterize our pop-up and quit camping in it??? by tenttrailer
[Today at 07:46:15 PM]

Sway Devices by 94-D2
[Today at 07:37:00 PM]

working while camping and vice versa by jnc
[Today at 07:24:40 PM]

Cold Weather Matteress Insulation...Ideas? by 94-D2
[Today at 07:24:22 PM]

Hiya! by Ryanincc
[Today at 07:18:10 PM]

2007 Fleetwood Westlake in Atlanta by A_LPopUp
[Today at 07:11:53 PM]

1996 Palomino for $200-- Should I buy it? by novagirl
[Today at 07:10:53 PM]

Attitudes by RotnMom
[Today at 07:10:07 PM]

The Music Game by jlynn58
[Today at 06:18:44 PM]

2015 - Wisconsin June Rally
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Wiring Schematic for Rockwood 1640  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Griggs

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Wiring Schematic for Rockwood 1640
« on: July 23, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »
Hello,

I own a 1997 Rockwood 1640. Does anyone know where I could find a wiring schematic of this camper?

I'm not even sure if it has to be specific to this camper. I would even be happy with a generic schematic.

I'm curious to find out how the battery, power converter, and the tow vehicle are all inter-connected?

I'm not sure if my camper is wired correctly. I bought the camper without a battery, and I am going to add one. It appears the wiring was altered to eliminate the battery, and I'm not sure how it would be put back into the loop?

Is the TV suppose to charge the battery when in tow?
A standard 4-pin connector was spliced in. A retro-fit so to speak. Will this 4-pin connector work with charging the battery from the TV?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am unfamiliar with how all this works.

Thank you.

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
Re: Wiring Schematic for Rockwood 1640
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
1. You need four connectors for the exterior lights, running, right turn/stop, left turn/stop, and ground.
2. You will need 1 connector to charge the battery and/or feed the interior with 12volts. Also the small ground wire that the lights use should be upgraded. The TV (tow vehicle) will need a wire from the battery to the rear bumper for this feed wire.
3. If your PU (popup) has electric brakes, it will also need 1 connector. The TV will need a brake controller to operate the brakes.
4. As you can see you will need 5 connections for lights and charging. A flat five will work, but has small gauge wires for the charge and ground circuits. Most factory installed TV trailer plugs use a 7 pin "RV" connector. More than you need, but very common, good large contacts and easily wired.
5. Wiring colors; TV first: Brown = running lights, Yellow = left turn/stop, Green = right turn/stop, White = ground, Black = 12 volt power, Blue = electric brakes.
Now the trailer, itmay be the the same as the TV, or the running lights wire is green, left turn/stop is red, and right turn/stop is a brown wire. White is always ground and very important. Black is 12 volt to the battery and to the inside of the PU, and blue is brakes.
6. The 110 VAC side is just like you house, Black is power, White is netural/ground and Green is ground.
I hope this helps ... don't be "cheap" on your wiring, it causes the greatest number of problems.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
11 Subaru Forester, 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline gypsy32

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »
Dont try to hard camping is suppost to be a vacation

PU 1999 COLEMAN FLEETWOOD  TV 2005 CHEVY COLORADO

Offline rrue

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Stop missing the best deals on Craigslist!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 04:20:06 PM »
I just bought a 1995 Rockwood 1610  and spent some time figuring out the AC converter setup. Couldn't figure out why the battery wasn't charging and finally discovered the converter (A Magnetek 6409) was simple enough that it's not meant to charge the trailer battery at all. Presumably the battery is meant to be charged by the TV, but unless you're running the engine every day for a while this seems like a bad arrangement. The 6409 also provides only a very basic DC conversion, not suitable for charging the battery and not very "clean" DC.

I've ordered an "American" CS2000XL. I get the impression from what I've found online that it's still not "high end" but it provides better than twice the power of the Magnetek and also charges the battery. I'll post here when it arrives, figure I'll document the upgrade process with pictures/etc.
Me, the Wife and the Three Howling Monkeys
1999 Coleman Utah, 2001 Mazda Tribute

Offline Xolthrax

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • The Home Page for Evil
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:04:51 AM »
Try this site.
Joe
[PU]'96 Rockwood Signature Series 1280 [TV]'07 Ford Explorer
Wherever you go, there you are.  Gilwell Troop 1 (Owl Patrol)

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.