User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 292
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

camper
 Views: 157
Posted by mickeytopher
Sep 13, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

My try at a thermostst Mod by Bigpopper
[Today at 09:22:03 PM]

Setting up in driveway? by gopherit
[Today at 09:20:20 PM]

What cooler do you use? by pjnlorrie
[Today at 09:15:28 PM]

VT Rally Camper Swap Meet by tombiasi
[Today at 09:14:18 PM]

Our new pup by BALTIBCAMPER
[Today at 09:13:44 PM]

Hellooo by mamabean5
[Today at 09:11:15 PM]

Tarps by Nandy
[Today at 09:11:12 PM]

Adding Diamond Plate to the front of my PUP by colorado_camper
[Today at 09:09:03 PM]

Took the plunge! by gopherit
[Today at 09:08:33 PM]

The best trip with your parents' pop up: Memories for 2nd and 3rd generations by Merlin14
[Today at 09:06:20 PM]

Home Made HDTV Antenna by HiFiDave
[Today at 09:01:15 PM]

2014 - Wisconsin Fall Rally by higginskatie
[Today at 08:55:49 PM]

PopUp Times Magazine For Today's Small RV Enthusiast
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 3.8l  (Read 709 times)

Offline dumouc56

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 3.8l
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
I am new to pop-ups, towing, pretty much everything associated with this. We just bought a 1997 Jayco pop-up camper, it weights approx. 1260#'s. The towing capacity of my van is 1800#'s and it does not have the towing prep package. By these numbers I should be ok correct? I'm a little confused what exactly is the gross combination vehicle weight. My manual says 7000 but what does this number really mean? Any help and assurance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin
1998 Eagle Series 8
2008 Chrysler Town and Country

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 3.8l
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »
The Gross Combined Vehicle Weight means the total weight of the tow vehicle and everything in it, including people, along with the total weight of the trailer and everything it it.  When thinking of gross trailer weight, don't forget to include full propane tanks, batteries, water in fresh, gray or black tanks, etc.  Personally, I would not be comfortable with anything over 75% of GCVW.   
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

Offline sd102

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:03:11 PM »
We used to tow our old camper with our 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan (same thing as the T&C).  I believe our old camper was around 1500 lbs.  But the minivan pulled that pup easily.  I couldn't even tell it was back there.  However, when we upgraded to our current, and heavier pup, we had to upgrade our TV.
Sue
Starcraft TT

Offline dumouc56

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »
Thank you sd. You have definitely made my more at ease. After reading the post from unstable I was really concerned that it would not work. Thanks again.
1998 Eagle Series 8
2008 Chrysler Town and Country

Offline 3pillons

• Star Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 09:25:54 PM »
I have an '08 Grand Caravan,  It's the same van with different cosmetics as you know.  We tow a small viking which is likely exactly the same as your pup.  The van pulls it like a champ and we only have the 3.3L.  With your 3.8L, you will hardly know it's there.  The chassis is stout enough to keep it in line and stop it straight.  If you haven't bought it yet, save yourself some money by buying your reciever hitch from a trailer sales shop and not the dealer.  I got my 2 inch reciever for $140 and installed it myself in 20 minutes with a friend as it weighed a lot due to it's size.
Bryan, Pam, Cameron, and canine Gracie.
'04 Ford Expedition, '03 Jayco Jayflight 27BHS
Winder GA

Offline pixel

• Wagon Master
  • Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
You should get a tranny cooler and go slow.  Your braking will take longer so give yourself distance.  Be careful.

Do not over pack your load.  The newer Dodge minivans seem as if they are riding a little lower.  They are also different from the older minivans. You may find you will benefit from a WD system if you find that the hitch seems a little low. 

Check your oil frequently.  I found that my engine burned more oil and was a little stressed, but we had a bigger camper (with e brakes).

Good luck and stay safe!

Pixel

2008 Fleetwood Avalon
2005 GMC Yukon

Offline 3pillons

• Star Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 09:46:53 PM »
I opted not to add a tranny cooler.  The factory cooler on these models is the same size as the radiator itself and is mounted in front of the radiator,  an additional cooler would be overkill I felt.  I have pulled through GA with no issues thus far. 

The brakes are very strong on the vans, however, I found out the hard way,  the factory pads are very soft, to stop fast and be quiet, but they wear out very quickly.  Mine were smoked at only 16,000 miles. 

The dealers have a service bulletin, not a recall, but a service bulletin for a new pad compound which is supposed to last longer.  Mine were replaced and have gone 14,000 miles since with no issue and a lot of life left.  The dealers service departments will not volunteer this infromation so if you are concerned, you will need to be very agressive in following up on it.  The dealer will only cover brakes for the first 12,000 miles, but I argued enough about it that they comp'd the job for me,  two new rotors too. 
Bryan, Pam, Cameron, and canine Gracie.
'04 Ford Expedition, '03 Jayco Jayflight 27BHS
Winder GA

PopUpGizmos Cooler Covers