User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Camping in Atacama Desert Chile
Our first bondock camping at the Atacama Desert
 Views: 118
Posted by chileankj
Mar 15, 2014
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

My Rig
I have a 2008 Fleetwood Cobalt and my TV is a 2012 Ram, really enjoy my set up. This picture is fall 2013 on the Tallulah River in North Georgia.
 Views: 115
Posted by roamer
Apr 18, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: How to repair lid of front storage box????  (Read 4824 times)

Offline zinger60

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
How to repair lid of front storage box????
« on: September 04, 2009, 02:07:27 PM »
We have a 2002 Viking 2465st.  We purchased it last fall and have never had any leaks...so we thought.  Yesterday we were cleaning out the front storage box and noticed that the floor on both front corners looked wavy.  Well, we discovered that the floor is soaking wet and spongy on both sides...just the front corner areas.  The large rubber gasket that goes around the lid to seal it has been messed up since we bought it so we figured that was where it was leaking.  As we looked at the gasket, we noticed a crack in the lid that is about 18 inches long.  I don't know how it got there or how long it has been there...maybe since we bought it.  It is not noticeable unless you really look hard.  Now we are thinking that the water has come in that way.  The weird thing is that nothing we have stored in there has ever gotten wet so we really don't know if that it where the water was coming in. Either way, we need to fix the lid but don't have a clue as how to do it.  It feels like thin plastic-type material.  I know it would cost quite a lot to replace the whole lid.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it and also how to replace the floor and with what material?
2002 Viking 2465st
2004 Toyota Tacoma

Offline dg98adams

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
Re: How to repair lid of front storage box????
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »
Here is what I did to mine.

http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=71059.0

I did this before I heard about the ABS repair methods with MEK and Legos.  I actually like my lid better.

Offline rccs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:05:44 PM »
dg98adams, that is what I did to replace the lid on my 1995 Coleman Avalon also. Are you sure that your popup is a 1993 as in you post? I looks more like a 2003.

Offline maromeo

• Star Camper
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/maromeo
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:05:57 AM »
We also have a 2002 Viking and have had this repair. It could possibly be two things. First check the side storage compartment doors. The water could be coming in on the sides which is why nothing on top is wet. We had leaking when we first got the PUP and the dealer put on a thin layer of weatherstripping around the side storage doors and have never had a problem with leaking since. There is a little gap even when those doors are locked.

Second. We first drilled about an 1/8th hole on either side of the crack to stop it from cracking any further. We repaired the lid crack using JB Weld epoxy for ABS. Filled the crack from the upper and lower underside and let it cure overnight. We then sanded down the excess. The glue dries a yellowish color. We then spray painted the area with Fusion paint for Plastic and it has held for 3 years now. I hope this helps.

Mary Romeo
Joe, Mary,15yr DD, 29 yr DS in Army back on US Soil
2012 Ram 2500 4 X 4 CC Diesel, 2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
http://community.webshots.com/user/maromeo

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:18:49 AM »
dj98adams, that's a VERY nice lid!  How much did the material cost for it?  Wish I could make that for mine as I have the same problem.
Ray '75, Julie '74, Connor '07, Haley '10 & 2 Springers
[TV] 2005 Suburban Z71 [PU] 2007 Utah
The toys go where we go

Offline Full Circle

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:20:05 AM »
One other area to check.  At the front of the trailer, there is a white moulding that runs along the entire front bottom of the storage box.  It should be tight to the box itself.  This moulding is stapled to the trailer floor underneath, but on the front it only leans against the box.  I had the same problem as you, but caught it earlier.  I caulked along the entire piece of moulding because there was a gap.  It had bent out over the years.  With ours, water would run down the front of the box, get behind this moulding, then be channeled to the floor.  If you crawl underneath your trailer at the front, you'll notice that the wood floor of the storage box is actually about an inch past the frame (towards the front), and this moulding ends at the wood.  It was slow, and we never saw water in the box, but one morning i was underneath and saw the damage.  Once the wood gets wet, it will keep wicking farther and farther in.

Adam
2008 Viking Epic 2308ST, 2004 Silverado Ext Z71
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the universe together

Offline Mr. Bill

• Star Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
I had a 12-18" crack on the top of mine.  I applied some clear caulking to it and have had no problem.  I also had the gasket not sealing and used the same caulk to put a small bead where I wanted the gasket to go, pressed the gasket up to it and slightly moved/smeared it to get a good seal and once it was on, I put the lid down to keep it in place.  It has not moved since.  The best part about caulk over glue is the caulk is removable if necessary and it won't tear the gasket.

I have found many uses for clear caulking on the camper.  I even repaired a screen using a separate piece of screen cut slightly larger than the hole, put a few drops of clear caulk around the hole and put the patch over it.  Then put a thin strip of caulk around the screen and pressed them together.  The caulk holds the screen while still being flexible enough to deal with storage and setup.

On a side note, I took my camper to a camper mechanic to ask for an opinion about the hitch and he pointed out some water damage to the roof and told me to seal it with "flo coat caulk".  I did and at the same time noticed other areas that I put some caulking.  Around the doors to the storage area, door to toilet, cargo doors, etc.  Basically anywhere there had been some flat strips of caulking I cleaned the area, trimmed/removed the old caulk and put new stuff down.
PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D    TV- 2001 Ford Windstar
Me(47), DW(49), DD(15), DS(10)

Offline zinger60

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 02:47:52 PM »
You guys are the greatest!  We have never had a problem with our PUP so when I found out the floor was all wet in the corners of the storage box, I was freaking out!   Now we have some great information on how to fix it.  Even though there is a crack in the lid, I think the water might be coming in through either the side doors or along the outside bottom as someone suggested since nothing has ever gotten wet in there.  We have not had time to inspect it a lot underneath but the area that we could feel was wet on the outside was that small area of wood that is right in front of the frame.  I just hope it doesn't extend back very far.  Thanks so much for all your suggestions!
2002 Viking 2465st
2004 Toyota Tacoma

Offline zinger60

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 02:50:06 PM »
Maromeo,
Where would I get the JB Weld Epoxy for ABS?  Someone else mentione flo-coat epoxy.  Where would I get that?
2002 Viking 2465st
2004 Toyota Tacoma

Offline maromeo

• Star Camper
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 12:12:03 AM »
It looks like this.

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

Some Walmarts carry it, in the automotive section.  Checker Auto, Auto Zone or automotive parts stores. It runs about $5 or less. Hope this helps.

Mary

Offline Mr. Bill

• Star Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 09:12:20 AM »
Maromeo,
Where would I get the JB Weld Epoxy for ABS?  Someone else mentione flo-coat epoxy.  Where would I get that?
I got the flo-coat from a camper dealer.  Check your local one.
PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D    TV- 2001 Ford Windstar
Me(47), DW(49), DD(15), DS(10)

Offline maromeo

• Star Camper
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 04:04:42 PM »
I have just found another crack on our storage trunk lid and need to repair again.  While searching I came across these 2 new epoxies.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=11&subid=49&plid=866

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=11&subid=49&plid=517

The first one would be good if you are in a high humidity area. We are in the AZ so it is a dry heat. We will try the second epoxy and see how that one works.  And then paint over the repair.  Already made the stop holes with the drill bit now we have to wait for the temps to come down below 95 so we can do the work. I will let you know how the 2nd repair goes.  The first one has lasted us over 4 yrs so all is good so far.

Mary Romeo

Offline andleton

• Camper, 1st Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »
patched the abs lid on my coleman with a plastic welder. i know it sounds crazy but there is such a thing. the plastic welder is made by urethane supply company.i bought it to fix atv fenders and when the pup lid cracked i opened it up again and found the abs rods. good luck
Greg, Angie, Stephanie, and can't forget Duke (Our dog that loves to go camping..) & now PJ (the cat)

'95 Coleman Rio Grande,'09 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Offline dljones10

• Tenderfoot
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
2003 Utah, just found a crack that ran from the front end rail down under the lid hinge.  I was able to seal the the crack from the hing up but it is still leaking.  I am assuming under the hinge.  I was going to remove the lid and caulk underneath but I discovered that the lid is attached by bolts and not screws.  I am afraid to remove the rest of them in case the nuts fall and then I need to remove the whole box to reattach the lid and I am headed camping this weekend so will not have the time for that task. 

Can I remove the lid without removing the lid/deck assembly as they call it?  IF not how difficult is it to remove the Lid/deck assembly?

Thanks

Dave

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
Dave,

The nuts are hidden behind the wooded support, so you'll need to remove the top of the storage compartment.  It's a pain but can be done.  Several screws under the bed, some obvious ones along the top of the cover and then lots of butyl tape holding it on that you'll have to carefully pry apart.  I can post a few pics.  The other option is to drill out the rivets holding the hinge to the cover.
Ray '75, Julie '74, Connor '07, Haley '10 & 2 Springers
[TV] 2005 Suburban Z71 [PU] 2007 Utah
The toys go where we go

Bear Creek Canvas