User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 1077
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Calman Trike and Pop-up
 Views: 203
Posted by Calman
Dec 02, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

2015 - Carolina Winter Rally by Nandy
[Today at 09:08:49 PM]

Stowing the grey water tank by jmkay1
[Today at 09:03:21 PM]

Oh Brother here we go again by Old_Geezer
[Today at 08:58:39 PM]

Boondocking, it's not that hard by jnc
[Today at 08:57:46 PM]

Keeping the mice away by Genie2010
[Today at 08:40:37 PM]

Cleaning fabric inside pup by oz nana
[Today at 08:38:14 PM]

We made the jump! by A_LPopUp
[Today at 08:28:20 PM]

What would you recommend we look for... by belleweather
[Today at 08:23:54 PM]

Looking to go to the dark side...any problems with slide-outs? by Ted S.
[Today at 07:58:50 PM]

What do you while traveling to your camp destination by jmkay1
[Today at 07:53:43 PM]

The Music Game by niagarafam
[Today at 07:34:01 PM]

Winter storage by Tibof
[Today at 07:25:00 PM]

PopUpGizmos - Pre-Christmas Free Shipping
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Does anyone pull a hybrid with a minivan?  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Mrs_P

• Camper, 1st Class
    • OK [OK]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/HappyPappe
Does anyone pull a hybrid with a minivan?
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »
I have a 2005 Pontiac Montana V6.  I pull a 10ft box popup Jayco right now.  I am looking at getting a hybrid with the ends popping out for sleep.  With the towing packing I can pull 3500.   I am interested in the Jayco Export 17C and The Surveyor  SV180T.  Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Sheila (73) DD (04)  DS (04)
2007 Jayco 1007
2005 Pontiac Montana Mini Van

Offline hvac1877

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Old Dominion Iron Chefs
Re: Does anyone pull a hybrid with a minivan?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:02:24 PM »
once you hook up to the hybrid and 2 people in the van you be at your max limit!!!!! You will need a TV that can tow at least 5500lbs!!!! That will be a 80% max towing limit. the camper dry weight is 2935 with max cargo 565 lbs total of 3500 at the max for the van that is not including the people in the van
Peter and Amy  '08 starcraft 2407 [PU]  
http://olddominionironchefs.com
"We DO it in black pots"

Offline pixel

• Wagon Master
  • Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »
I would not do it. 

Please remember that it is not simply how much you "can" pull based on the towing package numbers.  There are a lot of other variables to that equation.   (what is your vehicle weight rating?/how much tongue weight?/do you have ebrakes?/do you have a WD system?/what can that system handle?/Can your transmission handle the extra load?/Do you have a tranny cooler?/what about your TV brake system without ebrakes?/etc? )  These are just the simple questions.  You can not go by the numbers on your hitch. 

My guess is that with people, gear, etc. you are at your limit even with your 10 ft. PUP. 

Please seek professional advice.  I am sorry to be blunt, but I would not want to share the road with the proposed TV/Hybrid combination.  My advice would be (if you are looking to trade up) is to address your TV needs now and camper needs later.  There are lots of deals on better TV's now (trucks/SUV's). 

Sorry,
Pixel
2008 Fleetwood Avalon
2005 GMC Yukon

Offline BuxCamper

• Star Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Camper and Camping Pictures
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »
I towed a Coleman Sedona with a Pontiac TranSport equipped with tranny cooler and brake controller.  It handled the Sedona at about a ton fine.  However, I would not have considered my current Niagara which is closer to 3000 pounds with the TranSport .  I would just be to close to the limits.  GM's Venture, TranSport and siblings are excellent vehicles and capable tow vehicles up to their limits but still are front wheel drive unibody vehicles.  Having a vehicle with a full frame gives you a lot more capability.
-- Mark

2010 Kodiak 235 (Baby-K) --- 2011 Chevrolet Silverado w/ 5.3L AFM (The Beast)

Offline fallsrider

• Eagle Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:37:39 AM »
I wouldn't do it, either. For a brief time, DW and I considered a HTT. But when I ran the numbers, it became apparent to me that I wouldn't be happy towing one, and the large wind drag from a full size TT or HTT would really tax the Sienna's engine and transmission. We opted not to change anything until we could someday afford a more capable TV and a HTT.

On our week-long summer trip to the mountains last year, we were coming down a 5-mile-long grade that's about 7%. We met another Sienna climbing the other side pulling probably a 16' or 17' TT. I remember thinking how hard that Sienna's drive train must be working to get up that hill. We climbed it 4 days before maintaining 55 to 60 mph. The other Sienna probably wasn't maintaining 40.

If you only ever tow on flat ground, you could get by with it, but you would still be over on the numbers. I think Jayco (and I'm a fan of their products) and other manufacturers that market 3,500 GVWR TTs to their customers as towable by minivans are doing them a huge disservice. It's dishonest at the least.
'05 Suburban 1500 2WD
'95 Sunnybrook 26 DB TT

Offline Luv2ridebikes

• Eagle Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »
Minivans are marginal towing platforms, but pop ups were created with that in mind.  IMHO - the responses are dead on.  Even on level roads, the first semi blowing by you and you will learn what it feels like when the tail wags the dog.  Upgrade to a much sturdier tow vehicle first!
Steve and Deb
Gus - our four legged offspring
2005 Sequoia towed by an 04 Ext Trailblazer and lots of bikes

Offline ALICAM

• Star Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »
and yet on the other hand I tow my Rockwood Roo 19 with my 2003 Windstar without any problems
Me '59, DW-'62, DD-88, DS-91, DD-96
2003 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2L (2 of them)
2009 Rockwood R00 19

Offline aerohead34

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • AL [AL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
We had a 2004 Pontiac Minivan extended length that we pulled our starcraft 1701L popup. The 1701L doesnt have brakes. It didnt have the factory tow package. On level ground it did ok, but We got into two situations that scared the beetlejuice out of us. We had a tractor trailer pull out in front of us on a little two lane road. We had to slam on breaks and I did not believe we would stop. We missed the truck by inches. A short time later we were traveling thru Chattanooga when it was raining cats and dogs and the traffic was stopped ahead of us. I could feel the little pop up pushing us down the mountain. We came so close to sliding and the popup jack knifeing that I dont like thinking about it. We decided to get something bigger; a used full sized E150 van. It has the 4.6L V8 and pulls just fine. It has a 6600 towing limit, but I am not sure I would want to pull more than 4500 lbs with it. I have heard people talk of a 80% rule that you dont want to pull more than 80% of the max allowable. Our Montana always felt too light and too weak to pull even our little popup. I feel much safer in the E150 and still get 18-19 mpg which was what I was getting with the Montana.

Offline bflentje

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Flentje.com, Random thoughts, rants, raves and photo opportunities
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
I do not think my Olds would pull my Jayco 1206 effectively let alone something larger.

Offline peaceman

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • UT [UT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
Having some personal experience with this I would not do it. I had a oldsmobile silhouete that is the same van as yours just a different emblem on the front. The first time I towed my palomino pup behind it the transmission overheated.(my dry weight was close to 2300 lbs) I don't think your tranny can take the strain even though the engine can. My advice is to pick up a tow vehicle that well exceeds your capacity. trust me driving home with only 1st and 2nd gear is not a lot of fun.
hope this helps.
If I can't fix it, it aint broken.

Offline Armitstead2000

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »
I have a f16 cub.  It is on the lighter side of the HTT scale at under 3000 lbs GVWR.  I tow it with a Honda Mini.  I love it.. As much as I love to camp I couldn't justify upgrading my vehicle for the 6 times a year I go camping.  I did get a weight distribution hitch...I am not sure I can really feel the difference but I like the idea of taking the weight off the back and probably better for the tires etc...

PopUpGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)