User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 990
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

IMG 20141123 134829449
 Views: 47
Posted by jswalton84
Nov 23, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Starcraft Roof Repair Complete!! (LONG WITH LOTS OF PICS)  (Read 8731 times)

Offline nvfd114

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
Starcraft Roof Repair Complete!! (LONG WITH LOTS OF PICS)
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
This is a follow up post to the post further down titled "Another Starcraft with wood rot with PICS":  Hope this turns out as a good post here goes:

Once I got into the rear end board of the roof this is what I found:

It was damp and falling apart - like wet tobacco. The side boards were fine and not rotten.  I was afraid it would be hard to get out but the rotten OSB was sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminmum - it all came out cleanly and left me with this:

Just the outer skin left.  I decided to use half inch pressure treated ply wood to replace.  Glued the outer skin to the plywood after I painted the ply wood white to match the rest of the inside.

Some clamps to hold things in place and some angle brackets and then replaced the bottom trim on the plywood. Next I had to replace the insulation in the roof:

Then I used painted quarter inch luan to replace the ceiling with, replaced the right angle support bracket made of metal that runs the full width of the camper and put up the piece that holds the canvas;  that was pretty much it.  Used white exterior silicone to seal everything up during the whole process. Once the skirt goes back up around the ceiling it will look good as new, better than new.

and lastly three things I'm looking forward to this year camping

family and beer!

PU - 2001 Starcraft 2105
TV - 2001 Chevy S-10 ZR2 4 X 4
Matt, Hannah, & Luke

Offline Janetmac

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft Roof Repair Complete!! (LONG WITH LOTS OF PICS)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 01:38:04 PM »
You did an AMAZING job! That looks AWESOME! thanks for sharing the picts.
Family of 6 (Our Pop up's name is "Southern Comfort"
DD 13 years old :) - DS 12 Years :) - DH 40 :P
Shepard Candy 7 years old - Pug Leela 2 years old

Offline redfragglerocker

• Star Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »
WOW!  That looks great!
Camping - Nature's way of feeding the mosquitoes.

Offline Dusty82

• Eagle Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »
Excellent job! You can't even tell there was a repair done.

Offline nvfd114

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »
Thanks yall; gonna finish painting my shepherds poles white, get a spare tire cover, gas bottle cover, and battery cover for some mods this summer.  If I'm feeling really gung ho I may paint the exterior and put on new decals and pinstriping and maybe put in a 6 gal hot water heater. 

On the roof repair I had to drill holes in that new ply wood end board for the tail light wiring that is on the outside of the camper.  You can see the outside of the camper in the post a few weeks ago referenced above. 

Thanks again
PU - 2001 Starcraft 2105
Matt, Hannah, & Luke

Offline br9

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
Man that really is a great job.
Brad & Pat
2008 Dodge Quad cab 5.7 Hemi -  2011 Layton Joey Select 207

Offline smoreking

• Star Camper
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:13:37 PM »
Looks like you did a great job on that fix. I have a 1993 starcraft that I think needs a sideboard. Did you leave your roof on while you did your repair? Could you tell me since you just finished something like this how I should go about getting into the sideboard.

Thanks
Smoreking, Wife, Son. Middle TN.  ' 04 Rockwood Freedom 2270, 2000 Tahoe 4x4

Offline nvfd114

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »
I can try to help you; I am by no means an expert this is my first PU and my second year with it however I am somewhat handy.  I did leave my roof on to do my repair; the board that was rotten was the rear end board.  I am not sure you can replace the side boards without taking the roof off because the support lifting mechanism on mine is screwed directly to the sideboards.  After the repair I did I do not think removing the roof would be that difficult.  On mine it looks to be just take the canvas down and then the two screws on the top of the lift mechanism screwed to the side board.  There are issues with the side boards being longer than 8 or 10 ft which is all the longer you will find plywood.  That issue has been addressed in the roof repair forum elsewhere - there is info on here in regards to what type of joint you will need to create. 

To get into it I would remove the roof and then from the inside of the ceiling begin peeling the aluminum skin back and see what you find.  Then go from there.  You may not have to do anything with the outer skin but I'm not sure.  Good luck post pics. 
PU - 2001 Starcraft 2105
Matt, Hannah, & Luke

Offline Buddy Ter

• Camper, 1st Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »
Wow, great job!  I hope I never have roof trouble but if I ever do I'll be using this post as a reference.
'05 Trail Blazer 4x4
'93 Jayco Eagle 10, "Mr. Towed"
TLHFCKOCTBCR isn't just a good idea...it's the Law!

Offline Island Ranger

• Life Camper
    • GB [GBR]
    • View Profile
    • Webshots
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 05:31:02 AM »
You did a GREAT job there, ita amazing how these pups can be worked on at home & still look good.
Thanks for posting the pics, might encourage others to have a go  [:D]
Terry & Sue + crew.

Offline cam6camp

• Tenderfoot
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »
Thank you for sharing your work.  This looks like what we need to do.  I have a few questions.  Did you have to unscrew anything from the outside before you removed the wood?  How did you take the old wood off the aluminum frame?  And where did you get new trimming?  Only a  few inches of our board is rotten, do you think it would be possible to only take out that part, glue in new wood, and use brackets to connect it to the old, good wood?  What do you think?
Thanks for your help in advanced.  I am a bit scared to begin this project.

Offline Flyfisherman

• Eagle Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »
Thanks yall; gonna finish painting my shepherds poles white, get a spare tire cover, gas bottle cover, and battery cover for some mods this summer.  If I'm feeling really gung ho I may paint the exterior and put on new decals and pinstriping and maybe put in a 6 gal hot water heater. 

On the roof repair I had to drill holes in that new ply wood end board for the tail light wiring that is on the outside of the camper.  You can see the outside of the camper in the post a few weeks ago referenced above. 

Thanks again

Good job on the repair!

Don't know about those spare tire and L/P tank covers ~ I have had some mice problems in the past, not that the critters ever got inside the camper (when it was brand new and first brought home I went over and re-sealed every inside crack and crevice, every incoming wire and L/P gas line hole), but they did like to nest in both the tire and the L/P tank covers, so I simply removed them.

Let me ask a question about your thoughts on what was the cause of the water leak to begin with. In the case of my Starcraft it had the aluminum roof and necessary to re-seal the seams from time to time. I was meticulous on this maintenance and so far as I know the roof has been in tip top shape.
Fly
'02 GMC Sierra  ...  Starcraft  (sold)
But still have the old 9' X 9' Coleman Dome Tent!

Offline Big_kid

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My photobucket albums
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »
Great job!
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
'68 Starmaster8 SOLD, '97 Starlounge, '95 Astro, '95 Villager

Offline eve104

• Camper, 1st Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 08:58:54 AM »
what kind of roof insulation did you use?  plus (silly question coming)...what is LUAN???

Offline Dusty82

• Eagle Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »
It's not a silly question at all. Luan (also spelled Lauan, and sometimes called Philippine Mahogany even though it's not really a mahogany, nor necessarily from the Philippines) is a species of wood usually used to make plywood. Most naturally finished interior hollow core house doors are made of luan plywood. It's available at most home centers, most commonly in 8' X 4' X 1/8th inch thick sheets, or in 40" X 6 1/2' X 1/8th inch thick "door skins," although other thicknesses are also available. It's relatively cheap, lightweight, and fairly strong. It's a pretty popular choice for things of this nature.

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.