User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Bumpass Hell
 Views: 52
Posted by Twisty
Aug 30, 2010
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

GNAT trailer at Dreher Island SP, SC
This is our trailer, a 5X8 cargo trailer we spent 8 months converting.  Hot/cold water, multimedia center, dining room converts to queen size bed.  A/C, full shower.
 Views: 158
Posted by rayisouttahere
Jul 28, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 1995 Jayco - battery hookup  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Buffarino

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1995 Jayco - battery hookup
« on: May 05, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
I just got a 1995 Jayco 1006 last fall and am getting ready to use it this spring.  It is currently only set up to plug in to power the camper.  There is no battery or TV hookup for the lights and heater (don't care about fridge or grill - I probably won't use either, although they do work).

Since we camp in places that don't have hookups, I need to modify the wiring to either a battery or to just connect to the TV battery (this is what we did with our popup growing up).  How much of a project am I looking at?  I am mechanically inclined but don't usually mess with wiring.  I can't imagine there is very much to this and the local RV places want $200+ to do it. 

I only plan on using the lights for a bit at night and the heater to take the chill out of the air in the morning.  I will not run anything all night, and I will unhook from the TV overnight if I do that route, so I'm not that concerned about draining the TV battery.

Can someone help me out?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:32:38 PM by Buffarino »

Offline yogi

• Life Camper
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Yogi
Re: Jayco 1207 - battery hookup
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
Sorry I can't help you out, but I can welcome you to the Portal from Portland, Oregon! There is plenty who will be able to help. :)
Shannon '58, Tim '58, Nicole '86, Cassi '92, Felicia '94
2004 Coleman/FW Utah
2007 GMC Yukon XL

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »
The lights and furnace fan are 12vdc devices so if yours work when the PUP is plugged  into AC power that means you have a functioning converter.  So, all you need to do is set up a deep cycle battery in a box on the tongue and run the wires back to the converter.  I can't advise on exactly how to do that because I'm not an electrical guy but there are several here who will be able to give you specific instructions.  Don't forget to also wire the battery to the emergency breakaway switch for your PUP brakes.  If you don't have such a switch it is wise to get one.

I would not run the PUP's electrical system on the TV battery.  The TV battery is not intended for repeated deep discharge like a deep cycle battery and you sure don't want to get ready to leave one morning and find that you can't start the TV. 
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

Offline Buffarino

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 03:57:45 PM »
Thanks.  Yeah, eventually I want a battery up front, but might have to settle for using the TV for this first trip.  I'm going camping in 1.5 weeks (only for 2 nights, and will use the TV during the day so I'm not worried about killing the battery on such a short trip) and need to get whatever I need done this weekend, so I don't know if I will have time to mount up a bracket to hold the battery.  Maybe it's not that big a deal, though, I dunno.

This seems like a great place.  I might have to hang around a bit.

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
Re: 1995 Jayco - battery hookup
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »
What are you going to use for a connector to your TV, you will need more than a flat four.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline Buffarino

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:55:40 PM »
What are you going to use for a connector to your TV, you will need more than a flat four.

I currently have a flat four (came with the truck - 98 4Runner).

Growing up, my dad had an old Bethany that he could just connect directly to the car battery to power the lights.

After looking around a bit, I think I just want to wire up a deep cycle battery to the trailer and be done with it.  Anyone have experience doing that on one of these Jaycos?

Offline jim1999

• Eagle Camper
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:43:52 AM »
Look along your A Frame for a black wire and a white wire that is capped and/or taped off. The ends are probably tucked into the channel along the driver's side. These are your battery wires. Black goes to the positive terminal and white to the negative terminal on your battery.

My 94 Jayco never had a battery installed but the wires were there to do it if someone had wanted to. All you should have to do is mount a battery box, toss in a deep cycle battery and connect the wires to the proper terminals. If the wires are not long enough get some 10 ga wire to add to it.
1982 Wilderness by Fleetwood Travel Trailer.
1998 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado Extended Cab
Former owner of a 1994 Jayco 1006 pup

Offline Buffarino

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
Look along your A Frame for a black wire and a white wire that is capped and/or taped off. The ends are probably tucked into the channel along the driver's side. These are your battery wires. Black goes to the positive terminal and white to the negative terminal on your battery.

My 94 Jayco never had a battery installed but the wires were there to do it if someone had wanted to. All you should have to do is mount a battery box, toss in a deep cycle battery and connect the wires to the proper terminals. If the wires are not long enough get some 10 ga wire to add to it.

Wow, sounds easy.  Thanks.

So I don't need to connect any of the other wires to the battery?  Just wire those two up and that's it?

Offline Buffarino

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »
I have an extra red and black wire.  The white, brown, yellow and green are all running into the TV plug.

Offline jim1999

• Eagle Camper
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
I suggest tracing those red and black wires and see where they go. If they are your battery leads one should go back to your power center and the other to a ground, either on the frame or spliced into the main grounding wire for the trailer or into the "-" side of your 12v fuse box. You can also try using a multi meter and plugging your camper into shore power and testing for power on those two wires. If you find 12v positive power running through one that should be your "+" battery hookup. You can also try calling a Jayco dealer and talking with a service tech about your specific year and model.

While the black and white colors are typically used for camper power there is no guarantee on it being that way. I read some posts on some other boards today that had all sorts of colored wire used for the various items on a camper. Also there is no way of knowing what a previous owner may have done without a complete examination.

The only other thing, which I forgot to mention, is that it would be a good idea to add a fuse on the positive side somewhere between the battery and the frame. A 20 amp fuse should be sufficient.

1982 Wilderness by Fleetwood Travel Trailer.
1998 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado Extended Cab
Former owner of a 1994 Jayco 1006 pup

Offline Buffarino

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »
All set.  It worked great.  Thanks for the help!

PopupGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)