User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 942
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Zoom Details 1
 Views: 256
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.98
Posted by stem44
Nov 13, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

My Homemade Outdoor Galley ver2.0 by JungleJim
[Today at 06:04:47 AM]

2 elec. problems: No DC and 20 amp fuse at batt. blows by skeetercampsintexas
[Today at 05:06:31 AM]

honda generator by skeetercampsintexas
[Today at 05:02:29 AM]

New from Michigan by mcorbeil15
[Today at 04:05:01 AM]

New from Minnesota! by superbee73
[Today at 03:02:33 AM]

What power option to go with? by davido
[Today at 01:30:33 AM]

Booking for spring by vagov
[Today at 01:06:44 AM]

Coffee Maker by hootn
[Today at 12:58:20 AM]

2015 - Carolina Winter Rally by RotnMom
[Today at 12:56:25 AM]

Researching newer pop-up by grantar2
[Today at 12:13:23 AM]

Reflectix How To by pandpcamper
[Today at 12:11:37 AM]

First Time in New Camper by Snow
[Yesterday at 11:47:59 PM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: I am replacing the ceiling inside my pop up.. what..  (Read 7305 times)

Offline campingtwins

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
I am replacing the ceiling inside my pop up.. what..
« on: May 10, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »
Hello, and thanks everyone for your help..

We are redoing a pop up... 82 coleman

My husband bought some luan to put up in place of the old roof... now my question is what is behind a ceiling .. what do we use to put up the luan .. to keep it in place... [RTM]

Thanks Kim
Kim & Jerry..Kylie & Joshua  Upstate NY
2006 Springdale
2010 Toyota Tundra

Offline craigbaker

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: I am replacing the ceiling inside my pop up.. what..
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »
Most of these seem to be a foam glued to the roof skin with some wood to frame things like vent, screendoor hardware, etc.

Are you planning on replacing just the luan or replacing all the material inside the ceiling too?  You should be able to just glue the new luan up after removing the old one, assuming you aren't replacing the foam or anything else behind the existing.  I have heard people talk about Gorilla Glue working, but you will want to verify whatever you use is foam safe.

Offline ballard

• Life Camper
    • NH [NH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: I am replacing the ceiling inside my pop up.. what..
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:26:34 AM »
I may be difficult to try and remove the old ceiling without destroying the foam core. Foam core construction gets it's strength from the fact that the foam is glued to the outer skins which sandwich it (in this case the aluminum roof and the ceiling). Best to go right over the old ceiling. I have no idea of the "best" way.....but one way would be to use a 3m 5200 marine adhesive. I will warn you that this is a permanent adhesive if you wish something which could possibly be removed their are other marine caulking/adhesives that will remain a bit flexible.

Checkout jamestown distributors or westmarine and look under caulking and sealants. In the boat world adhesives, caulkings, and sealants all share similar qualities of adhesion with the difference being that some are more permanent than others, some are flexible, some are rigid.

To do this you will need place the adhesive on the luan, press it to the ceiling and then hold it in place with batons (lengths of wood running across the ceiling to serve as temporary bracing). These batons could be held in place by vertical 2x4 lumber which is wedged inbetween the floor and the wood bracing.

Another option would be pop rivets....predrill holes about 1/4 of inch (dont go throught the roof then use aluminum pop rivets (easy diy). In this case however the ceiling is only being suspended by the old ceiling at the point of each pop rivet where as the glue transfers the stress across the entire ceiling and the glue is also not visible where as a pop rivet will show.

I don't think you will find much to screw into under the ceiling but a stud finder may be helpful.

Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches  - etrailer.com