User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 506
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

1973 Starcraft Galaxy 8
 Views: 152
Posted by Dragon267
Sep 27, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Coleman/Fleetwood Evolution owners? E1/E2/E3  (Read 67469 times)

Offline surfershaun

• Tenderfoot
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Coleman/Fleetwood Evolution owners? E1/E2/E3
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
2007 E3 Owner and just got back from our first trip.  One thing I could use help with is the add-a-room or screen room.  I get the canopy down no problem.  I just can't seem to figure out the two side attachments? Does anyone have a pdf of instructions on this set-up or reference a how to video?  I know if I see it once I'll be good to go. :) [PU]

Offline Mello Yello

• Tenderfoot
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
Hello to al Evolution Owners, I recently purchased a "08 E1 and I'm enjoying it very much!  My only gripes are the radio will not turn off under any circumstances subsequently draining the Battery.  And I can not get the refridgerator to cool at all using the propane.  Any advise would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Offline Shuswap

• Star Camper
    • BC [BC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Evo Mods
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
Welcome.  Suggest you look at the many threads on the portal to learn about the fridge and then on an off day clean everything including the burner.  I recently did that to our '06 E1 and it worked wonders including getting the pietza (sp?) ignitor working again. So good infact that I shelved the fan mod that many do because I get excellent temperature wothout it.
2010 4x4 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6V8 lifted with 33's, towing an '06 Fleetwood Evolution E1. 2012 - 19 days over 5 trips.

Offline shakey eddie

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WV [WV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
2011 e3 here from the mountains of WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA PULLING IT WITH A 2006 NISSAN TITAN

Offline Boondock-N-evo3

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »
For all Evo owners wanting to join the FACEBOOK   "Coleman Evolution" group,  CHECK YOUR FACEBOOK MAIL AFTER YOU HAVE SENT YOUR REQUEST!!!!!! You will be asked to verify specific info before you can join.  This is only to keep the group Evo specific in order to stay on topic. 

Again DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR MAIL!!!

Dom
Group Admin.

p.s.  The group is not intended to draw anyone away from using the PopUpPortal but rather a place to ask specific questions and get quick answers from Evo owners themselves.  Please continue to use the PopUpPortal and take advantage of all it has to offer!!!

Offline aabc

• Camper, 1st Class
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2012, 11:25:02 PM »
I am so glad to have found this website!  We have been looking at the Evolution for about a year when we saw an E3 on a used RV lot but didn't have anything to haul it with.  Now we have an F150 and found an E2 on Craig's list. Turns out the sellers are friends!   They let us test it out for the week and so we drove from Oregon to Montana and used some hook up campgrounds and a couple of more rustic.  I'm in love with it but my husband is still holding out for the new ones being built by Somerset.  I just don't think it is worth the cost of new but we did have a few glitches with the battery draining on the drive so no lights at the rustic campground last night.  Not sure what that is all about. But since we have never owned a popup I'm chalking it up to operator error rather than equipment.  Any thing you can think of that would be helpful in going forward with a purchase of the used or new would be great. Thanks.
2007 Fleetwood E2
Ford F150 Super Crew

Offline Jeff d

• Camper, 1st Class
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2012, 12:03:53 AM »
I can't imagine spending anywhere close to what one of the new Somerset Evolutions cost for a popup.  I wouldn't mind the E3 slide out though.

The battery probably is a simple problem.  What's your tow vehicle trailer wiring situation?  That's my first thought as to where the problem lies.

Do you have a factory 7 pin round connector?  Did you run the fridge on 12v while enroute?  If so the factory wiring tends to be rather light gauge compared to what people run in the aftermarket.  This could have resulted in a voltage drop and the camper's battery not being recharged at the same rate that it was being depleted by the fridge. Also, with a factory 7 pin harness it may cut power to pin 4 when the ignition of the tow vehicle is off to preserve its battery. 

If you don't have a factory 7 pin connector did you just use an adapter?  And if so did you wire up a heavy gauge charging wire to pin 4?  If not you weren't recharging the battery at all and any load being left on could have drained it given the appropriate amount of time.

It could also be as simple as the battery failed due to the typical extended period of lack of use and maintenance that comes right before selling a toy.  So, the battery could have been on its last legs and failed on your last day.
2006 Fleetwood Evolution E2
2003 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Offline aabc

• Camper, 1st Class
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »
Jeff thanks for the reply. I'm taking the E2 in a shop tomorrow to get a full report. I really hope it doesn't turn up anything major otherwise I know DH will want to get the Somerset. I personally thing the E2 has everything we need at a GREAT price. Do you mind me asking how long you have had it and what price you think is reasonable for an '06 or an '07 Fleetwood E2? There is a similar one in Portland (about 2 hours away) at a lot for $11,something and these folks want less than $10k Any thoughts?
2007 Fleetwood E2
Ford F150 Super Crew

Offline marcham

• Star Camper
    • BC [BC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »
Do you mind me asking how long you have had it and what price you think is reasonable for an '06 or an '07 Fleetwood E2? There is a similar one in Portland (about 2 hours away) at a lot for $11,something and these folks want less than $10k Any thoughts?

Condition is a huge factor in price. Being an 06-07 it has a Filon roof which is prone to miniature cracks along the radius edges. It's an easy fix to apply a roof coating but if there's any water damage to the ceiling inside, it's a lot of work to replace.

As for the rest, condition is everything. Well maintained with no leaks 8-11K is what they go for in BC. Leaks, some obvious wear and maybe some appliances that don't work, the price goes down very quickly.

If you're handy, anything can be fixed. RV shop rates being what they are, repairs get expensive very quickly if done by the "pros".
2012 F-150 SCrew 4x4 5.0
2007 Fleetwood E2
Nights camped 2012: 28

Offline Jeff d

• Camper, 1st Class
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2012, 09:06:28 PM »
Being an 06-07 it has a Filon roof which is prone to miniature cracks along the radius edges. It's an easy fix to apply a roof coating but if there's any water damage to the ceiling inside, it's a lot of work to replace.

This was a source of great confusion for me when I was purchasing.  The E2 (E1 too I believe) has an aluminum roof, not Filon.  From what I've been able to gather the 2007+ E3s had the Filon roof (E3 didn't come out until 2007).  The easiest way to spot the aluminum roof on the E2 is the rubber seam down the middle. It's two pieces, sealed down the middle and as far as I know has no common/recurring issues like the Filon roofs. The Filon roof will be one big piece and therefore no center seam.

I paid $5,200 for my '06 which was in overall good condition.  No major structural/mechanical issues such as leaks, floor/wall rot, etc. but it had a plethora of minor issues though and was smoked in.  The front "toy" deck was rotten too which is likely to be the case on any E2 that was stored outside due to the appalling fact that Fleewood made it out of cheap bedliner coated OSB.  I had to replace a lot of plumbing fixtures and fittings due to minor leaks.  I had to completely tear down all upholstery and soak/scrub/repeat.  The propane bottles and battery had been stolen as well as the wheels and tires.  I spent about another $1,500 (Mostly on wheels and tires) and a lot of hours getting it back to pretty much like new condition (Haven't fixed the toy deck yet).  It was more than I anticipated so I about broke even vs. NADA "Average Retail" but it was the cheapest E2 in the nation by a long shot when I bought it about 6 months ago or so.  In hindsight I like it now but probably wouldn't have paid what I did in the condition that it was in.
2003 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Offline marcham

• Star Camper
    • BC [BC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2012, 09:12:33 PM »
My 2007 E2 has a Filon roof, and I've seen other others 2006 and 2007 also with the Filon roof. Ours did have a leak when we purchased it, which was evident by the soft ceiling. It cost us about $300 in materials to re-sheet the ceiling and coat the roof, and many evenings spent in the trailer. Other than that I eventually redesigned the charging system with a marine grade charger, upgraded the wiring between the battery and the distribution panel (because I wanted to charge faster and have the option to install an AGM battery). But everything on the trailer was functional, no tears, never smoked in, good tires, came with all original parts and accessories. We paid $8000 mid-season which is a pretty good up here. It also came with the exterior wall-mount BBQ, weight distribution hitch and an RV mat. Make sure you get the ramps/rails for the front deck.

As for the comment above regarding the rotten deck, that's strange. The material is designed to be outside and as long as the bottom is not coated and the top is kept sealed, it will be good for the life of the trailer. I know for a fact that my E2 has been stored outside since new (and it rains a lot up here in winter) and there's no sign of rot anywhere.
2012 F-150 SCrew 4x4 5.0
2007 Fleetwood E2

Offline Jeff d

• Camper, 1st Class
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »
My 2007 E2 has a Filon roof

Does it have the seam down the middle?  It is possible that I'm still confused about the roof situation.  Or, maybe mine was replaced under warranty?
2003 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Offline marcham

• Star Camper
    • BC [BC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »
No seam. Out here NADA doesn't mean squat. Also, the 12000 new retail listed on NADA is incorrect. I believe the E2 was MSRP around $14000-15000 depending on area. In Canada they were around $16 000.
2012 F-150 SCrew 4x4 5.0
2007 Fleetwood E2

Offline Jeff d

• Camper, 1st Class
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »
As for the comment above regarding the rotten deck, that's strange. The material is designed to be outside and as long as the bottom is not coated and the top is kept sealed, it will be good for the life of the trailer.
I'm not the only one.  There are other threads on here about having to replace the rotten deck.  The bottom of mine is not coated but it's rotten for about the width of the trailer at the front and back.  I think the water is able to penetrate that bed liner.
2003 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Offline Jeff d

• Camper, 1st Class
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »
No seam.
Mines got the big rubber seam down the middle and definitely feels like aluminum (feels like metal and magnets don't stick to it).  So, either the early E2s were aluminum or mine was replaced under warranty at some point.

2003 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.