User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 686
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

I got it!
 Views: 38
Posted by rfd21170
Yesterday
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

2015 - Wisconsin June Rally
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Twist lock poles  (Read 3849 times)

Offline reelpro

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Twist lock poles
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:21:55 PM »
Hello Everyone, I'm new here (first post) I love all the information I am gaining from this site. Here's my problem. Two of my awning  twist lock poles don't want to lock up.  Are there any tricks to solve this?

Offline bupkis

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Twist lock poles
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:26:25 PM »
I have the same problem

On the end of the inner pole is an eccentric (I think that's what it is called).
A piece of hard plastic off center so that when you twist it wedges and tightens and twist the other way and it loosens. Mine doesn't hold well anymore and I looked for a while for a replacement eccentric and never came up with anything.

If I could find the piece, it be a easy fix.
"All we want are the facts, ma'am"
'07 Chevy Colorado 3.7L I5
gone but not forgotten '96 Coachmen Sport 086

Offline laaddis

• Camper, 1st Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
Well I am pretty new at this and didn't even know mine would twist to lock.  I was expecting to see the little springy buttons and holes.  So when my poles didn't have that I thought I was going to have to come up with a solution.  Here are some of the things I thought about.

1. Raising the pole to the desired height and then tightly wind some 'one wrap' velcro around the pole just under the joint so the pole can't slide down.
2. Look for some thick rubber bands and basically do the same thing as in #1.
3. Don't know what it is called, but you can get a plumbing pipe coupler that has a screw in the center of the coupler.  Get a coupler just large enough to slide over the pole and put at the pole joint and tighten down the screw.

Maybe someone else has some other ideas but these are some I had.
laaddis, Martinez, GA
2001 Trail Lite 21B [HTT] [TV] 2000 Honda Passport
1999 Dutchmen 1004D [PU]

Offline Retired Alex

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »
The eccentrics tend to get dirty and sticky. Clean them really well and DON"T put any type of grease or oil on them, this just attracts more dirt.

This worked for me.
Alex & Mary Burnett
JD (Boxer)
2006 F150 towing a 2011 Onyx 25RB via an Equal-i-Zer 4PSC

Offline kurtes

• Star Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
After reading this I am wondering if the awning poles could be replaced by a couple of the paint roller adjustable aluminum extension handles? May have to modify them a bit one the ends but that shouldn't be too difficult.
I've used them to paint fairly high ceilings and they are strong and light. They also do that twist lock thing and hold well under pressure while painting. What do you guys think?
'94 Coleman Arcadia
'99 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4
Nights camped 2010- 7, 2011- 6, 2012- 2

Offline jim1999

• Eagle Camper
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:35:57 PM »
An easy "fix". Get a small hose clamp and tighten that down just under or on top of  the joint once you set your poles to the proper length depending on how the poles slide together.
1982 Wilderness by Fleetwood Travel Trailer.
1998 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado Extended Cab
Former owner of a 1994 Jayco 1006 pup

Offline reelpro

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »
Thank you for all your help. I'm going to get this worked out this weekend

Offline Wizfisher

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 03:22:41 PM »
I had an awning pole do the same thing a while back.  I undid that pole from the awning so I could access the top of the pole.  I was then able to see that the little black part that twists to lock it together was stuck in the outer pole.  I got that out and rescrewed it into the inner pole and it worked fine since then.
Matt & Barbara, - Courtney '99, Brooke '07, and Aubrey '10
2012 Starcraft Travel Star 229TB [HY]

Offline reelpro

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 09:18:58 PM »
A good cleaning did the trick. Thanks for all the help.

Offline palmer4

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »
Just last weekend I did a this repair on my canopy poles.  A couple of the eccentrics were frozen in place.  A bit of lube did free up one, but the other wouldn't get loose enough to actually work.  I wound up using a bit of lapping compound and a lathe and let it spin for awhile.  I'm sure a 1/2" drill would work just as well.  With lots of clean-up afterwords it worked just fine.  Remember that these eccentrics need to be able to spin freely in order to work correctly.
Curtis Palmer
Lancaster, PA

Offline Stiiinatent

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:02:26 AM »
I'm a contractor by trade and do a lot of painting. I don't see why a twist lock extension pole wouldn't work. In my experience with painting extension poles you get what you pay for, if you want it to last pay a little extra for it there are some good quality twist lock fiberglass extension poles out there (I suggest fiberglass because they hold up better to excessive flexing over aluminum). I have a 8'-14' that is going on 10 years. I suggest going to a professional paint store instead of a box store for them, they can order almost any kind/style you may need. When you go to select the pole keep in mind the more the two poles overlap the more strength it will have (less flex) so if your awning extends 9' don't buy an ext. pole that has a 5'-10' range buy one that is say a 7'-14'it will be a little heavier but it will hold up better high winds and the occasional "awning bucket". 
'04 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab v8 4x4
'95 Fleetwood Stony Creek (The Bomber)
'75 DW, '06 DD, '08 DD, 1 English Springer (John P. Fletcher M. D.)

Offline palmer4

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:02:30 AM »
Ah yes, the awning bucket.  This is the main reason for me even messing with the poles in the first place.  At 1:25 a.m. during a heavy rain storm on a Sat. morning during my last camp my awning came crashing down.  The water had collected and broke the pole that was attached to the roof.  That particular pole was only about 1-2" inside the next pole and of course was the smallest in diameter of all the poles.  It failed and broke.  This certainly proves Stiiinatent's point about having the poles overlap as much as possible.  I cut the pole off and simply moved the eccentric to the now shorter pole.  I plan to set everything up again this weekend and make sure the pole is still long enough.  I was able to make it through the weekend by using an adjustable hiking pole in its place (worked great). 
Curtis Palmer
Lancaster, PA

Offline NetDad

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
When one of mine was getting small and would not tighten, I used DUCT TAPE.  Tore off a little strip and went around the little plastic/rubber piece.  Just a couple times was all it took.
Camping Scouting Family Friends - Fun 4 All
2009 Chevy Suburban 2500 pulling 1992 Jayco 1406 Deluxe Soon to be a Salem 26TBUD

Offline lawniz

• Camper, 1st Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:41:09 PM »
I also had one that wouldnt lock up. actually, the eccentric came off inside the outer pole. i drilled out the rivet holding the outer pole onto the awning assy., then used a piece of threaded stock to push the eccentric out the bottom of the pole, i then discovered that it was originally held by divots pushed into the aluminum, locking it into the pole. i epoxied it inside the pole, and then reattached the outer pole to the awning assy. with a small screw/nut combo. works like a champ.
I dont snore, I purr....

Offline riverwalker

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NB [NB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »
    I didn't realize mine would twist tighten when i bought my 1st PU i just used a small drill bit with them extended and used the same metal clips(for lack of proper name) that secure the roof to the bottom half of the trailer.
'Keep your lines tight!"