User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 760
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Views: 52
Posted by Crystal Vintage
Oct 28, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

PopUpGizmos Cooler Covers
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Fiberglass roof ... choosing paint  (Read 3305 times)

Offline KarltonKrill

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IA [IA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Popup Photo Album
Fiberglass roof ... choosing paint
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
I am cleaning up an old 1969 Bethany Citation 600 ... with a fiberglass roof. It's construction is comparable to something you would see as a bed topper for a pickup truck.

Can you use latex paint for the fiberglass interior? What would you recommend
for painting the interior of a fiberglass Bethany roof?

I have already decided to paint the EXTERIOR with a one part fiberglass topside
paint made for fiberglass boats ... for high gloss and UV protection.

But the fiberglass that was hiding under the original headliner is rough and was
never meant to be seen, as evidenced by the crude workmanship in the corners and
all the drips of fiberglass resin everywhere.

But I am still vacillating over what to do about the interior ... and I am near
the point where I must make a decision. I was going to use the same stuff as the
exterior, but I figured something glossy would make all the rough stuff show up
even more, plus I don't need UV protection inside the popup, plus the stuff is
very expensive ... like $25 a quart.

My latest idea is to use a mold inhibitive primer like Zinsser BullsEye 1-2-3
mold inhibitive primer ... can be painting on virtually anything including
ceramic tile without scuffing first! Then maybe going over it with a latex
paint.

Any suggestions? Comments? Any advice appreciated.

Karl
[TV] 2006 Honda Pilot
[PU] 1969 Bethany Citation 600

Offline KarltonKrill

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IA [IA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Popup Photo Album
Re: Fiberglass roof ... choosing paint
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »
Let's see if this works ... photos:

See the metal support bars in the photo? Those I have already primed and plan on painting white. I plan on painting the interior of the roof white as well. Question is what paint to use for the interior of the roof?
[TV] 2006 Honda Pilot

Offline Full Circle

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
Start with a good primer (like the 123) and the latex will stick no problem.   I'd still scuff up the surface though, even lightly with a 320 or 400 grit paper.  The only concern i'd have is with any bending and twisting in the roof as it goes up or down.  Not sure how much flex the primer, or the latex has.   You could also look into the water based automotive paints.  My buddy gave me a custom paint job on my sled with these and its held up to the pounding and temperature changes for three years now.  Only reason i'm mentioning water based is to keep the odours down.

Good Luck, thats a nice looking older pup.

Ad
Adam
2008 Viking Epic 2308ST, 2004 Silverado Ext Z71
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the universe together

Offline Tentless

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Patrike
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
Hi

I like the way they made that roof - looks a lot more sturdy with the recesses then those of today.

What was on that before or was it always exposed?  Was their some type of panelling? Maybe consider gluing some fabric! Maybe a nice faux leather!!  Now I am jsut getting carried away [:(O]

If painting  is the easiest way to go then use an exterior rated paint - Oil based (only smelly during drying stage) will be more durable but an external latex will do the job quite well - external paint should take the extreme temp fluctuations better.

Like Full Circle says - scuff and prime for best adhesion.

Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Cheers
Patrick
The cottage is now done in the design stage - now just waiting for approval from the lottery Corp!

Offline Full Circle

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 01:01:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use an oil based paint on fibreglass, could be wrong though, it tends to happen sometimes.

Adam
2008 Viking Epic 2308ST, 2004 Silverado Ext Z71
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the universe together

Offline KarltonKrill

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IA [IA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Popup Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »
Good Luck, thats a nice looking older pup.
Ad

Thanks for the reply and the compliment! There was a build thread on Expedition Portal where a guy took an old '65 Bethany Chief and fixed it up and lifted it to go offroad. I thought it was really cool ... anyway, one day an old Bethany pops up on the local Craigslist ... It was in decent shape for the age ... just needed a lot of TLC.

What was on that before or was it always exposed?  Was their some type of panelling?
Patrick

The interior had a nylon and foam headliner ... much like you would see in an old car. One of the previous owners hunted in northern Minnesota, so he covered all that up with styrofoam and some masonite panels. I took all that off to find the original headliner was disintegrating. It was a disgusting mess. After cleaning up all the old foam and adhesive I am reluctant to put anything else up on the roof. There's a lot of compound curves. My hope is to paint it and forget about it! Here's a link to a bunch of photos I posted to Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50430486@N02/

I'll write Zinsser and inquire as to the flexibility of their primer. The top does flex and twist a lot when opening and closing. I hope to only paint it once!

Karl
[TV] 2006 Honda Pilot

Offline ballard

• Life Camper
    • NH [NH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »
for the inside use an exterior latex.

Here's a thread regarding painting the interior of a sailboat.....http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=24673&highlight=

You can use oil over fiberglass but latex or acrylic will flex better, cleanup job is easier, and the new latex paints look better than ever.

Offline craigbaker

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:16:57 AM »
I just rebuilt my roof using fiberglass over wood.  I then coated the top with 2 coats of epoxy paint (boat stores carry it).  I believe I used Interlux, but will have to verify when I get home tonight.

I don't have any pictures of the finished painted top, will try to get some after I finish the electrical inside and close it up again.

Offline KarltonKrill

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IA [IA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Popup Photo Album
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 12:00:18 PM »
Thanks craigbaker! I'd love to see some photos!

I took ballard's advice and went with exterior latex for the roof interior. I chose a primer and topcoat which are resistant to mildew.

For the exterior I was looking at both Interlux and Petitt, and unless I get some other advice I've decided to go with:

Interlux 202 wash/dewaxer followed by
Petitt Easypoxy white undercoater and finished with
Petitt Easypoxy 1 part topside marine paint.

I started a "restoration" thread ( http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=37669.0 ) and posted some pics of my roof interior now that it has been primed. I applied 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of topcoat. I just applied my last coat of gloss white enamel to my metal roof supports.

This weekend I'll be busy celebrating Independence Day with cousins visiting from out of state, but I figure I'll get them to help me lift the roof back off, turn it over and get it mounted again!  [;)]

[TV] 2006 Honda Pilot

Offline Dusty82

• Eagle Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 02:48:49 PM »
I know I'm very late to this party, seeing as how you've probably already gotten your family to help you put the roof back on, but I have a question: Have you thought about insulation? A plain fiberglass roof is gonna be an oven in the full sun. I can't help but think that you're gonna bake inside the pup after just an hour or two in the sun.

Bear Creek Canvas