User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 770
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

All ready for winter
All ready for the first snow fall  [:(]
 Views: 31
Posted by Bryan440
Oct 30, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

POLL: Roadside Assistance Program by dbldbs
[Today at 06:50:39 AM]

Put grease on the hitch ball? by fallsrider
[Today at 06:49:16 AM]

2nd Trip Out West by novagirl
[Today at 06:38:33 AM]

After Blowing out Water System Antifreeze or no Antifreeze? by Hoosier Daddy
[Today at 06:09:50 AM]

bike rack receiver? by ghacker
[Today at 05:08:25 AM]

Adding foam under bunk mattresses by 94-D2
[Today at 04:10:38 AM]

First trip by thejohnsons
[Today at 02:53:16 AM]

Switched Voltmeter; 110v outlet w/USB; LED replacement - with pics! by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 02:47:50 AM]

Good news, everyone! by vjlarson
[Today at 02:38:02 AM]

Travelers Beware by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 02:16:41 AM]

towing Phoenix to San Jose- Mojave?? by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 01:55:23 AM]

Are we hooked up? by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 01:44:14 AM]

CampsitePhotos.com is your source to check out pictures of campsites at many of the more popular campgrounds throughout the United States including State Parks, National Parks, and other campgrounds.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 1960 Montgomery Ward Tent Trailer Resto.  (Read 10745 times)

Offline Catdaddyxx

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1960 Montgomery Ward Tent Trailer Resto.
« on: August 13, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »
Hello,  Ive been reading for quite a while and figured that it was about time I posted something up.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a friend that had recently bought his family an older tt.  I asked him what happened to his old pop up he had told me he had.  He said that it had been in a bad hailstorm last spring that had punched a bunch of holes in the roof.  He said that it had spent the summer under a tarp in a field.  When asked what he was going to do with it, he said nothing.  He was just going to discard it and let it rot, and/or haul it to a dump.  I told him that it was a shame.  He said, if you want it come get it.  I thought, well, for free Id give repairing it a shot.  Weve been devout tent campers and have nice gear, so we werent really looking for a pup and will still go the tent route when were on our off road excursions. 
I hadnt seen it or even knew much about it.  Except that it was free.  But we went and got it and hauled it home.

Its a 1960 Montgomery Ward.  Neat little trailer with a slide out galley on the rear.  My friend had added a few things to it.  It has a 30A and a 15A power cord, hose hookup to a sink that drains into an aquatainer.  It has an onboard battery that Ive wired to be charged from the tow vehicle.  A 3 burner stove and onboard propane tank.  That has a T fitting and hose set up to go to either my lil buddy heater or a propane lantern.  Have a few little things like a 12v light and 12v fan.

The canvas was in very good shape with only a few holes in the canvas and screens.

The roof on the other hand had been nearly demolished.  It had some fiberglass repair attempted on some cracking prior to the hail storm.  However that repair was done poorly and I had to remove nearly all of the old repairs.  As youll see in later pictures, there were multiple holes throughout the roof that went straight through the roof and still more cracks and dents from smaller stones.  There were some stress fractures in the rear plastics and a few places that had been broken off. 

The expensive part was the morning after we brought it home.  I stepped over the hitch too quickly and wasnt used to this style of hitch.  The latch caught the inside of my thigh and promptly ripped an 8 inch gash into my leg.  Which of course resulted in a trip to the E.R. and stitches. 

So, keep in mind just about everything Ive done so far to the trailer, Ive done with stitches in my leg.  lmao

Right after we brought it home.  I had placed blue tape under each of the roof damage spots to make them easier to spot from outside.

Offline Catdaddyxx

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: 1960 Montgomery Ward Tent Trailer Resto.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:04:29 PM »
Some closeups of the roof as it was

Some interior shots minus the sleeping pads.  Theyll need new covers but are serviceable as is.

A shot of the slideout galley

Interior roof damage covered in blue tape

Heres a before and after shot of it for when I gave it a good cleaning, scrubbed the roof hard, clay barred the box, and hit it with a compound/polish and a coat of wax.

A couple of shots of it popped up

The outer skin of the roof was fiberglass.  So, I went with a fiberglass repair.  I filled the holes flush with a silicone adhesive/sealer so they were flush with the surface, using the tape as a backer.  Then began covering all damaged areas and high stress points with fiberglass.  Went through about 36 sq/ft of fiberglass matting by the time I was done.

Fresh Fiberglass.

Then on went two coats of primer followed by two coats of white elastomeric paint.

A couple of before and after roof shots

It also had a C channel already installed on the rear.  I wasnt going to pop the money for a new awning.  So following an idea found on another site I made a tarp/awning from a tarp, some wire, tape, and a couple tent poles.

Offline Catdaddyxx

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
I used some fiberglass putty to fill the small stress fractures and holes on the rear plastic.  Itll later be painted.  You can clearly see them now as the white dots on the back.

The latest project is cleaning up the interior roof.  It was discolored from the previous fiberglass attempt and the holes/cracks.  I used silicone sealant/adhesive to smooth the cracks out and make them less noticeable.  Then on with a coat of primer followed by a coat of elastomeric paint.  Itll need at least another couple coats of paint, but thatll have to wait a few days till after I get school going again.  So much for a teachers summer break.  Lol

Interior after exterior repair

After the first coat of paint.

Anyway, that aught to be enough reading and pictures to last quite a while.  Have several more things on my to-do list.  But at least its now fully camp able and only cosmetic things are left to do.

Offline Catdaddyxx

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
Just for giggles, here's my tow vehicle.  2004 F-150 5.4L V8.  Tows it like a shadow since the trailer only weighs 1000 pounds empty.

Offline mdbaird76

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »
Great project.Iit is going to be killer when you get it all done. Nice TV also.
Wherever you go, there you are

Offline kitphantom

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:34:10 PM »
Looks like a great restoration already, good job.
Andrea & Courtenay  TT: 2015 White Water Retro 177; TV: [TV] 2005 4Runner
'14: 60 nights camped/8 trips, planned: 4 nights/1 trip
2010 Coleman Cobalt 4 sale

Offline Canadiancray

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »
WOW that interior is pretty nice for the age. Looks like its been redone.

I would be putting a stone guard spray on that roof and painting it again to help prevent future damage.

Offline carolina campers

• Eagle Camper
    • WV [WV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »
Good job, and nice set-up!
Chuck, Shelly, and our three campin' doxies
TVs: '11 Nissan Frontier
PUP:'02 Rockwood Freedom 1980; TT: '12Coachmen Apex 22QBS

Offline NJGuy

• Eagle Camper
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 11:09:08 PM »
OMG!  What a piece of PUP history.  Montgomery Ward, if memory serves me correct, I once bought a vacuum cleaner there nearly 30 years ago.  Now I own a Dyson.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:43:01 PM by NJGuy »
2000 TrailManor 3023
TV 05 GMC Yukon Denali
If women do not find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.  Red Green

Offline Troutfishing

• Star Camper
    • NE [NE]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 11:20:28 PM »
That is the neatest I love those old PUPS, when you get ready to set in a field give me a ring.......Is the roof a two layer roof, with an air gap between the two? Actually the fiberglass roof would great, it sure would eliminate the rotting roof problem and repairs would be fairly easy.
99 Palomino

Offline Catdaddyxx

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 11:59:45 PM »
There's no air space in the roof.  It's like a thick plastic covered in a layer for fiberglass.  I haven't seen anything like it elsewhere, though it is factory.  It's like a thick gelcoat.  It is a one piece roof made from a mold.  There is no added structure on or under it.

Offline NJGuy

• Eagle Camper
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 12:06:56 AM »
Like a fiberglass boat?
2000 TrailManor 3023
TV 05 GMC Yukon Denali
If women do not find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.  Red Green

Offline Catdaddyxx

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 12:09:20 AM »
More like the opposite of a boat with rough fiberglass on the outside and gelcoat on the inside of the camper.  odd

Offline NJGuy

• Eagle Camper
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Very!  I grew up with fiberglass boats on the Atlantic Coast.
2000 TrailManor 3023
TV 05 GMC Yukon Denali

Offline insanehognutt

• Camper, 1st Class
    • AR [AR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
Man that thing is really roomy when popped up...never seen one quite like that.  I wonder who made them for Monkey Wards?
That thing is awesome!

PopUpGizmos Cooler Covers