User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 713
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

I got it!
 Views: 146
Posted by rfd21170
Oct 21, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Wiring Help!! 7-pin trailer plug wiring for Starcraft Venture  (Read 7963 times)

Offline Kinni-kid

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Wiring Help!! 7-pin trailer plug wiring for Starcraft Venture
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »
I purchased a used 2000 Starcraft Venture model 2410 and the previous owner did not have an on-board battery hooked up.  He also had a 4-pin connector for the wiring to the TV.  I'd like to install a battery and add a 7-pin plug but I'm having trouble with the lights.

I reviewed the TV wiring diagram (which has a towing package including a 7-pin outlet) compared to the new 7-pin plug but once connected the tail/running lights don't work (turn signals & brake lights work fine).  Also it seems when I disconnect the on-board battery, no trailer lights work.  Do I have to have the on-board battery connected in order for the trailer lights to work?

I noticed when I hooked up the 7-pin plug to the trailer, I had the usual red, brown, green, white and blue wires, but there were 2 black wires.  One 10 gauge and one 12 gauge.  I'm assuming the 10 g is for the Aux, but what is the 12 gauge for?  I tried to trace it on the trailer, and it turns into a white/green wire (refrigerator?)  Where should the black wires be connected on the plug? Do I connect both of them to the Aux?  Do I use the backup light pin?

Also, I tried using a "generic" plastic battery box but it doesn't seem to fit on the trailer tongue.  Do I need a special Starcraft box?  The battery itself fits, but no room for the box?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Kinni-kid

Offline Xolthrax

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • The Home Page for Evil
Re: Wiring Help!! 7-pin trailer plug wiring for Starcraft Venture
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:18:46 PM »
here is the wiring diagram for the TV and trailer:

If the 12 gauge wire traces back to the fridge, that would make sense.  Your aux line from the TV should connect to the battery and to the fridge to keep it cool while driving.

Can you show a picture of your tongue?  It would help to make recommendations for the battery.  I wound up buying a new 2-tank holder for the propane tanks.  I moved that as far forward as I could without interfering with the jack, and I put rails to hold the battery boxes behind the tanks.

Joe
[PU]'96 Rockwood Signature Series 1280 [TV]'07 Ford Explorer
Wherever you go, there you are.  Gilwell Troop 1 (Owl Patrol)

Offline Kinni-kid

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:15:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply, just so I understand you, I should connect both black wires (10 & 12 ga) to the Aux pin and leave the back-up light pin (center pin) empty? 

I will get a picture of the tongue posted ASAP.  I'm thinking that I will have to do the same as you did with moving the tank forward.  There just doesn't seem to be enough room to get a box in between the existing tank and the camper box.

Any thoughts on why the lights don't work unless the battery is hooked up?  Is that normal with the 7-pin plug?

Offline Xolthrax

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • The Home Page for Evil
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »
Assuming that the 12 ga wire really does go to the fridge (which makes sense) then yes, you would connect both wires to the aux pin.

Any thoughts on why the lights don't work unless the battery is hooked up?  Is that normal with the 7-pin plug?

That's really odd.  The only thing I can think of is that the ground from the harness is going straight to the battery and gets connected to the frame after the battery.  Otherwise, I can't think of any reason that the battery should affect your lights in any way.
Joe
[PU]'96 Rockwood Signature Series 1280 [TV]'07 Ford Explorer
Wherever you go, there you are.  Gilwell Troop 1 (Owl Patrol)

Offline ErikRuud

• Star Camper
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Ruud Awakening
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
In order to get my wiring back to standard, I had to remove the plug that was on the end when I bought it.  Then I confirmed that the white really was attached to the trailer frame.  From there I traced each one as far as I could and tested each wire by touching it to the positive pole on my battery to see which lights turned on.  Once I had them all identified, I wired in a new 7 pin connector.

I had to mount my battery pretty much the same way Xolthrax did his.
[TV] 2006 Jeep Commander 4x4
[PU] 1991 Rockwood 2040 Lite
2011 nights camping 11 and counting. 2010 nights camping 16 :)

Offline stanz

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • n/a
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 06:52:54 AM »

Silly question: Do you mean the tail lights OR the interior lights?

Interior lights run from either the battery or the inverter, there's a switch on the inverter for that.

Tail lights are on a separate circuit, you may simply have a bad ground connection.  To test my theory simply connect a wire to the chassis ground and then to one of the signal lights.  (It should be a white wire.)  Then try the signal/brake/running lights.

My ground connection is broken in my TV so my signal lights "work" by grounding through the running lights.  I have a lot of experience dealing with old Fiats and their bad wiring.  It was almost always a ground issue.  (The metal rusted just thinking about rain.)
------------------
|  Stan in MA  |
------------------

Offline Kinni-kid

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:33:19 AM »
I found the problem!  I took everyones advice and tested things from the TV to the PU.  After cleaning up & replacing the ground on the trailer (which was very rusted) and rechecking the new 7-pin plug, I found I had crossed the ground connection with the Aux pwr wire (rookie mistake) in the plug.  I found this problem by disconnecting the pigtail connection (my PU has a rectangular 7-pin connector) on the PU with the 7-pin still connected to the TV.  Using a test light, I went through each connection and found the problem.  Everything works now!

I took the family out this past weekend for our maiden voyage. The on-board battery I hooked up worked like it should, the TV even charged it (I will keep an eye on the liquid level in the battery though).  I found another problem though with refrigerator, but that's another post.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Kinni-kid

Road Shower - The Rack Mounted Solar Shower