User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 327
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

camper
 Views: 310
Posted by mickeytopher
Sep 13, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: What pop up camper company makes the best quality pop ups??  (Read 30007 times)

Offline shanksyamaha

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
What pop up camper company makes the best quality pop ups??
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:13:10 AM »
I know some of you guys have been inside every pop up camper made and Im looking to get something newer and larger than our current 2001 starcraft 1706 this spring.  So far I love the starcrafts features.  I have seen some colemans from a distance and I really like some of the starcraft features better but I have never been inside a coleman.  I know this is just a matter of opinion but if you were in the market for a new pop up, what brand would you choose and why?? 
Are some easier to set up than others? some have better features?  some have reliability or leaking issues that others dont??? 

Thanks!!

Offline Flyfisherman

• Eagle Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: What pop up camper company makes the best quality pop ups??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:24:12 AM »
So, what are you trying to do ... start some kind of a brand war here?

Usually folks take pride in their particular camper, whatever brand that may be, they have put a lot of time and effort into them and then have someone come along say that maybe they have not made the best choice?

Fly
'02 GMC Sierra  ...  Starcraft  (sold)
But still have the old 9' X 9' Coleman Dome Tent!

Offline shanksyamaha

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:53:10 AM »

Usually folks take pride in their particular camper, whatever brand that may be, they have put a lot of time and effort into them and then have someone come along say that maybe they have not made the best choice?

um... NO..  Sounds like that may be what you are trying to do.  Im in the market for a new pop up,  however I have never seen the inside of any other brand and I don't know much about any brands but starcraft.  I want opinions from owners on what they like and dislike about their pop up so I can make an educated purchase.  Before I bought my atv I went to an atv site and asked owners what they liked and disliked about their atv, same with my snowmobile, truck, and yes, now my camper...   Coming on here and trying to bash me for asking a simple question sounds like you are the one who wants the war.  I only want opinions from respectable members, if you can't give that then don't reply. 

Offline Crankin

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:20:21 AM »

It doesn't seem like that it what his intentions are.  Maybe you're reading a little too deep into his post.  Sounds like an honest straight forward question to me. 
Chris -DW Angel -DS Nathaniel -DDogs Kuma, Bailey and Yoda
[TV] 2010 Dodge Journey
[PU] 2010 Rockwood Premier 2317G

Offline shanksyamaha

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:33:26 AM »
Thank you crankin, it is an honest, straight forward question.  Im not interested in getting people upset of fighting over what brand is the best, I just wanted to make an educated purchase.  I can tell you that there are some small things about my camper that I didn't like so well once I found them, but I would have never found them sitting at a dealer, it wasn't until I got to camp in my camper that I really found out what I like and dislike about it.  And I was hoping that, since there are so many good members with lots of pop up experience on this site, they could tell me the stuff I need to know before I purchase a new popup.  I plan to keep this new camper for 10+ years so I really want to know everything I can about each brand before I go and shell out $10,000+

Offline Crankin

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 04:52:19 AM »
No problem.  I might as well chime in about our 2010 rockwood.  We love it! The amount of perks for the buck are great.  I have seen a few other PUPS in the time we looked for ours.  I must say, your question is a valid one since we saw some really poor craftsmanship on some and fantastic craftsminship and finish on others (price range matched those too)  I wouldn't consider our rockwood the top of the spectrum I would consider on the better end of the spectrum though for the price (under 11000cdn brand new in 2009) 
Chris -DW Angel -DS Nathaniel -DDogs Kuma, Bailey and Yoda
[TV] 2010 Dodge Journey
[PU] 2010 Rockwood Premier 2317G

Offline shanksyamaha

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 05:28:47 AM »
No problem.  I might as well chime in about our 2010 rockwood.  We love it! The amount of perks for the buck are great.  I have seen a few other PUPS in the time we looked for ours.  I must say, your question is a valid one since we saw some really poor craftsmanship on some and fantastic craftsminship and finish on others (price range matched those too)  I wouldn't consider our rockwood the top of the spectrum I would consider on the better end of the spectrum though for the price (under 11000cdn brand new in 2009)

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you for the reply.

Offline silvermickey2002

• Eagle Camper
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Silvermickey's Photobucket Albums
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:48 AM »
We have a 2008 Fleetwood (Coleman) Sea Pine that we really love. No bathroom or shower. Nice and simple. We like the construction as well as a good lift system. The floor plan fits our needs.

You need to get out and go look at the pups at the dealers. Doing the walk thru and seeing the quality makes the decision a bit easier.
Gary
'08 Fleetwood Sea Pine, '12 Ford Explorer, (2014 Nights in Pup-9 / Tent camped-1) Assistant Scoutmaster

Offline shanksyamaha

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:48:03 AM »
I've been to a couple dealers locally but its hard to figure out what Im looking for without knowing what the differences are.  A good lift system is definately a must.  I have also seen posts from people having to fix the roof of a rather new camper.  I don't want to have to worry about that, is there a particular roof design to stay away from??

Offline theraceshop

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • to dream
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:17 AM »
I tend to shop price, quality, style in that order. So with that said I would read the post on this website and look at all the different problems and come to your own conclusions. This would be the safest bet.

I bought a Palomino Mustang based on price and I really liked what I got for my money.
I would think it is the same as what it was like buying a new car 20 or more years ago when man still built them with their hands like popups of today. You never bought a car that was built on a Monday or Friday quality was at its worst on those days.
2007 Dodge Nitro / ????

Offline Hacksaw

• Eagle Camper
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Fountain Lake Sportsmens Club
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »
I am in the same boat. While I love my Coleman I need more space. The 8 foot box is barely big enough  now when the kids are small.In a year or two it just won't work. I can't afford brand new and while I think the Coleman lift is the best system out there I don't want an ABS roof (no matter how good of shape it appears to be in) So I guess what I am asking(don't mean to hijack the thread but I think we are asking the same question) What do you LOVE about your particular Brand/Model and What about it leaves you wanting  more? Since I have already basically identified myself as a Coleman pimp - I'll start What I love - The Lift system and the one piece door. What leaves me wanting more - The cushions (whats with wrapping your sleeping mattress in burlap ?) Granted my PUP is 22 years old so getting into the 21st century will be a huge deal for us.
One Fish, Two Fish. I fish. You Fish ?
1998 Coleman/Fleetwood Sun Ridge - Papa's Ark
2000 Ford F150 crew cab -F/V Shoreline II

Offline FC

• Life Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 10:24:58 AM »
I was on the fence between Starcraft & Fleetwood(Coleman). I chose the 2007 Fleetwood Bayside because of 2 simple things. #1. The reinforcement under the bunks. #2. The attached bunk support poles verses the individual poles you have to store seperate and figure out what pole goes where. Besides that the Starcraft was more camper for less money with a dual axle. It was the poles & reinforcement only that made me make the decision. But thats just me. I hope this helps.
2007 Fleetwood Bayside
2003 Chevy Trailblazer
fb group.   Pop Up Peeps

Offline Nascar Fan

• Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 10:36:37 AM »
We have a Rockwood Freedom 2280 with 12' Box. We are very happy with the construction, lift system. Mostly like the heated mattresses. We have had no problems what so ever with any construction issues. The unit seems very solid. We would not be without our shower/pottie. Expecially after DW broke her ankle in two places on our last outing. She refused to come home after surgery and she was able to scoot out of bed and on to the pottie with little problem. We will never have a camper without a pottie again. Looked at the Hi Lo and hybrids, but gotta say we are very satisfied with our pup and it would take a lot for us to give it up.
Gary & Colleen
2011 GMC Savannah
2005 Rockwood Freedom

Offline Cable Guy

• Camper, 1st Class
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 10:43:25 AM »
One of the reasons for my choosing my Fleetwood (Coleman) was the proximately of a dealership. At the time, the Fleetwood dealer was the only one near my home. They have closed since then. Plus for the money the Niagara had the features I wanted.
[{:)] 50, DS [:)C] 13, DS [:)C] 10
2004 Ford F-250
2005 Fleetwood Niagara

Offline stanz

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • n/a
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 12:14:45 PM »
I don't have any experience with the newer pups but from what I've seen all brands have positive AND negative features.  In older pups, 1980s through early 1990s, my Rockwoods have a better build quality than my Starcrafts.  They are also heavier.

Here's what I would look for if I were buying a newer pup:

1) Tube frame, most pups have "C" channel frames

2) Marine grade plywood under bunks or at least plywood

3) Vinyl walls instead of canvas

4) Radial tires

5) Plywood floor instead of chipboard

6) Smooth exterior walls

7) Multipart canvas, if one section gets damaged you can simply replace that section

8) Center mounted front lift with a decent sized wheel

I don't know if anyone has all of that in one package but that's what I'd look for.  I've seen what happens to chipboard over the years and it ain't pretty.

My old Starcrafts have "C" channel frames and the flex is noticeable.   I used one as the base for my shed placing four cinder blocks under the corners.  I ended up having to put one near the door to allow it to open freely.

------------------
|  Stan in MA  |
------------------

PopUpGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)