User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 978
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Zoom Details 1
 Views: 381
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.98
Posted by stem44
Nov 13, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

4 months ago I didn't know Popups existed! Now I own one. by RotnMom
[Today at 03:29:07 AM]

noob by jswalton84
[Today at 03:09:36 AM]

Album: Checkout My Rig by jswalton84
[Today at 03:09:14 AM]

What power option to go with? by lifespeed
[Today at 02:37:29 AM]

Can it be done. by jswalton84
[Today at 01:51:18 AM]

Hello from Pennsylvania by ktsmom
[Today at 01:04:34 AM]

2015 - Ontario Summer Down By The River Rally by Snow
[Today at 01:04:18 AM]

Power roof lift by 94-D2
[Today at 12:04:11 AM]

Been given a deadline....... by Ryanincc
[Yesterday at 11:50:20 PM]

Skeeters Tear Drop by Txbum by Indy
[Yesterday at 11:48:32 PM]

The Music Game by jlynn58
[Yesterday at 10:54:38 PM]

Roof cracks by Roth Family
[Yesterday at 10:36:45 PM]

Bear Creek Canvas
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: ABS repair with sheet ABS & MEK (or some other glue)?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline NH-popper

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • NH [NH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
ABS repair with sheet ABS & MEK (or some other glue)?
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »
I was idly looking into a Coleman PUP with an ABS roof that has some cracks in it. I can get 4' x 8' sheets of 1/16 or 1/8 inch thick white ABS from a website - What do you think of the idea of trimming around the cracks to flatten them, then applying a patch of ABS sheet over the crack using either MEK or some kind of ABS glue?  Maybe it wouldn't look as nice as using the MEK-ABS goo and then sanding,  but given it's an old PUP and I'd be painting the roof afterward, I'm less concerned with looks than whether it would repair the roof. I'd still have to deal with some delamination spots but that's really a separate issue and I can use the "gorilla glue" method to deal with them...

What are your thoughts?
DW, DS & I - 2000 Coleman Niagara
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Extended Cab
45 nights camped in 2011, 40 days camped in 2012

Offline ballard

• Life Camper
    • NH [NH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: ABS repair with sheet ABS & MEK (or some other glue)?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:01:18 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Probably not as good looking as a bored out crack that has been filled in though.

When I first started reading, I though you were about to suggest going over the entire roof with abs sheet.......Is that at all possible?

Offline NH-popper

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • NH [NH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
ABS repair with sheet ABS & MEK (or some other glue)?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »
That's a good question, and one I wondered myself.  It comes in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets.  You'd have to use multiple sheets.  Could you quickly apply MEK with a roller and put it on the roof before it evaporates without leaving bubbles?  Might be a challenge. 
DW, DS & I - 2000 Coleman Niagara
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Extended Cab
45 nights camped in 2011, 40 days camped in 2012

Offline RhinoDave

• Eagle Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »
Sounds like a whole lot of extra work to me. I would just use MEK to soften the cracks and use a thin mixture of MEK/ABS to fill all the cracks. This really a sovent weld of the cracks. After they are all filled, I would use a liquid coating like Grizzly grip or Snow seal to coat the whole roof. At least that's what I would have done if I hadn't had my roof replaced. My  [2C]
Built for comfort ... not speed.
http://www.flyingrhinocc.com/ It's a lifestyle.

Offline ballard

• Life Camper
    • NH [NH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »
Sounds like a whole lot of extra work to me. I would just use MEK to soften the cracks and use a thin mixture of MEK/ABS to fill all the cracks. This really a sovent weld of the cracks. After they are all filled, I would use a liquid coating like Grizzly grip or Snow seal to coat the whole roof. At least that's what I would have done if I hadn't had my roof replaced. My  [2C]

You are probably right rhino. The real challenge is not with the adhesive open working time. I probably wouldnt use the mek/abs filler to bond the sheet, I would use an alternative adhesive for abs and maybe just bond the edge perimeter then fill the seams. But the real challenge is getting it to lay down over the contours. There are pvc roofing materials that can be thermo formed to match contours. This is not an abs roof but it's the same concept. I'm not sure that it looks very good though. tpo plastic

The reason it looks wavey is probably due to uneven heating of the plastic. When molding large plastic sheets in a factory, a large oven would be used to heat the sheet evenly and then the pliable sheet would be used over the object. Typically vacuum formed or drape formed. This can be done with abs sheet but heating the sheet evenly to get a good product is probably next to impossible. Abs plastic has a very small window of workability temperature so it's easy to screw it up. UV stable pvc sheet and acrylic are heat pliable in the same way. A liquid membrane over the repaired surface seems like the easiest and best looking but I'm not sure how it holds up if the roof continues to crack and delaminate under the membrane. I would definitely consider the process most used at portal which is opening up the cracks with a dremel cutting wheel, filling with mek/abs.

Covering the repair with a membrane of elastomeric paint or grizzly grip would look pretty good.

PopUpGizmos - Black Thursday Sale