User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 325
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

camper
 Views: 301
Posted by mickeytopher
Sep 13, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Going to boon dock for a first time by kitphantom
[Today at 12:01:43 AM]

newbie by Bando
[Yesterday at 11:49:01 PM]

Need New A/C? by speckhunter80
[Yesterday at 11:46:05 PM]

20# vs 30# vs 40#? by ill.plainsman
[Yesterday at 11:41:40 PM]

Towing Specs by speckhunter80
[Yesterday at 11:40:30 PM]

retirement age? by swordfish
[Yesterday at 11:28:37 PM]

2014 - Texas Puppers Fall Rally by cssmith56
[Yesterday at 11:25:29 PM]

2003 coleman niagra... Should I tow with 20 gal water tank full? by speckhunter80
[Yesterday at 11:24:37 PM]

2003 coleman niagra parking light lens and should it be covered. by BroPaul N The Cakelady
[Yesterday at 11:22:25 PM]

Can anyone reccomend a good cover for winter sotrage? by swordfish
[Yesterday at 11:17:37 PM]

Tell me about waterproofing canvas by BroPaul N The Cakelady
[Yesterday at 11:08:42 PM]

2014 - Illlinois Fall Rally - Potluck by ill.plainsman
[Yesterday at 11:07:35 PM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 2000 Coleman Cheyenne Front Storage box Rebuild  (Read 10765 times)

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
2000 Coleman Cheyenne Front Storage box Rebuild
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »
As I plan on posting several pictures I decided to start a new thread for this.  The front storage cover has several cracks so I had a local welding shop make me a new diamond plate cover for $165!  [:D]  It's a huge improvement in function and looks!  Unfortunately The floor under it is a litte soft so I need to rebuild the compartment before installing it. [:!]  Last night I started.  I removed the lid, side door, screws under the camper, interior support brackets and any screws I could find.  Now it should come apart (but doesn't proabably due to some rivets and butyl tape).  My question to those of you that have done this, and I think there are many, where do you start?  It seems some have taken the abs off piece by piece while others had started with the plywood.  I don't want to crack the abs any more.  Do the corner lights have to come off also?  Those are some strange screws holding them on so I hope not.  Or can/should I remove the entire storage box and just leave the floor in place?  Thanks for any pointers!
Ray '75, Julie '74, Connor '07, Haley '10 & 2 Springers
[TV] 2009 Honda Pilot [PU] 2007 Utah
The toys go where we go

Offline outdoorxman

• Life Camper
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 Coleman Cheyenne Front Storage box Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
I had major cracks in the top panel that goes around the lid. I had to remove the whole piece because Fleetwood sold it that way. Door and all! You might try carefully removing it to get to the rest of the internal wood.

I had some wood rot on mine but it was confined to the side around the side door. I was able to leave all of the exterior facing on and carefully remove the wood inside. I found that the factory used generous amounts of silicon caulk on the mating surfaces.

Look for caulk.

Phil

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:29:55 PM »
Thanks, that's good to know.  Did you need to remove any rivets to free up the front?
The toys go where we go

Offline outdoorxman

• Life Camper
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 01:45:06 PM »
Rivets,  lets see.

It's been a while. I think I first took out the screws in the top panel that surround the lid. I also took off the drip plate or aluminum cap strip (in front of the bunkend). This should allow the top to hinge up from the front toward the back. You may need to get under the lid to cut the caulk so it will pivot up. I think this should get you into the storage compartment easier. From here you need to remove the screws around the door, staples from the flange at the top of the plastic side panels, and I htink there were others too and assorted screws on the corner brackets. Ours was a 2000 as well. I found that the side wood panels were actually three layers of paneling. You will also need to remove staples or screws from the bottom but I don't remember what all was down there. I think you can leave the lights alone. They only screw into the outside panels and the wirign runs between them and the internal wood walls. I think I had to drill out some of the rivets too but I don't remember. I think I got replacements from the local dealer. I found that Fastenall and other places sell similar rivets you are looking.

If you need to remove the floor it is part of the main floor. They changed this on later models. I think you could cut out the bad and replace it. You could edge seal the floor panels with caulk when reassembling.

Where did you find the rivets? Maybe that would help my memory.

Phil

Offline ballard

• Life Camper
    • NH [NH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
My 93 came apart after doing everything you stated in the first post.

The plywood for the sides was held into a grove in the aluminum rail that runs around the top edge. It took a little bit to loosen it up but the plywood came right out.

Not sure if your box is constructed the same way though.

Dont underestimate the strength of the caulking seal.

Here you will find a couple shots of when I rebuilt one of my side panels.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=36287.msg256359#msg256359

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 03:10:19 PM »
Ballard, it looks like my construction is different than your model.  I think I need to remove the aluminum drip plate in front of the bunkend as Phil mentioned and see what that does for me.
The toys go where we go

Offline outdoorxman

• Life Camper
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:44:20 PM »
Ray,

Here is a link to my Mods and Repairs folder. I didn't document my wood rot repair but did document the HW heater replacemnet. I also have another album of pictures of the PU I took to help see it. I'm guessing since they were the same year the boxes are the same.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554702453mnlrIf

Phil

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »
I finally got around to spending some more time on this and am wondering how to get the aluminum strip out that's under the bed in this picture.  Some of the screws are not accessible and I don't think pulling the bed out will help.  Plus that involves getting it out of the garage and setting it up, not easy right now.  How have others done this?

This is as far as I can go until I remove that strip I think.  What a pain it is getting thes panels apart w/o causing more cracks to occur.

The toys go where we go

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 01:04:12 PM »
Anyone?  I guess I'll have to remove the front bed  [:!]
The toys go where we go

Offline outdoorxman

• Life Camper
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »
Sorry RFryer but I missed your last post. Once the screws are out the top piece should slide out towards the front. It might be difficult due to caulk and just a tight fit. Did you get it off and have you finished the repair job?

Phil

Offline outdoorxman

• Life Camper
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:02 PM »
RFryer,

If your wood rot isn't too bad you can try this:

http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/product.html

Our TT has some rot under the entry door sillplate. Once I get into the project I hope I can use this instead of cutting and replacing. Right now the floor still holds weight.

Hope these posts help.

Phil

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »
I've been waiting for a weekend with nice weather as it looks like the pup has to leave the garage for further work.  My front bed is perhaps a little bowed in the center so I can't get to the remaining screws on that metal drip edge w/o removing the bed, which involves raising the roof and setting it up for the most part.  Things are never easy!

Thanks for the advice on how to remove it, that's good to know.  I already put a new crack in the top by tring to remove it the wrong way. 

The sides of the box are bowed out a little from moisture, enough to not seal it well so I am taking the entire box apart and rebuilding it, as soon as I get that top piece off.

Ray
The toys go where we go

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
Yesterday I was finally able to get moving on this project and in 3-4 hours or so was able to take the front box completely apart and off the camper.  Here are some pictures:

The top was a pain to get off but the rest was fairly easy.

Both sides had some water damage.

My helper!

Ready for rebuilding, almost.  The storage compartment floor is separate from the main camper which made removing it much easier.  Unfortunately some of the interior floor in the corner is rotted and I'm not sure what to do there.  I may have to remove a piece of the aluminum siding next to the door to inspect it some more.  I may also have to remove the front bulkhead and a cabinet  [:!]

Ray
The toys go where we go

Offline Cliffbeach491

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »
Hi, i just finished a storage box repair on a 1997 Cheyenne. I didn't have to take it apart like that and the rot was a lot worse on the sides.the front panel was OK. In fact the wood they used was not particle board like yours but some kind of pressboard that soaked up the water, swelled up like crazy pushing the side panels out and turned into basically wet cardboard so it just pulled or should i say fell right out. It even had moss growing on the outside .I was able to pull the metal side panels out enough after i removed the cargo doors to slide in a new piece of wood. The floor was also rotted about 8-10 inches in so i cut it out with a small cordless saw at the first cross frame and slid it out then slid in a new piece. Its seems the place it develops leaks is where the storage box section meets the body of the camper at the top where the roof meets it when cranked down.I sealed all the seams with marine grade sealant.. Tthe box and lid itself was in great shape with no cracks. I picked the camper up off of craigslist for $500. it had a broken lift cable which i fixed,needed the outer door rebuilt and a few other little odds and ends but it turned out really nice. hate to resell it if i didn't already have the Westlake i would keep it..
1996 Coleman Taos and a 1999 Coleman Westlake (stays at the perm site) 2 PUPS are better than one :)

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
I finally found a break from other projects and was able to purchase some wood and started cutting it out last night.  It should be much stronger and look nicer with the fir and birch plywood.  The thickness was slightly off but I don't think these things are built with strict tolerances.

This could be a tricky spot to repair as the wood is soft along the corner...

Cliffbeach491, I figured I pretty much had to take it apart anyways as both side walls and the floor needed replacing.  For me it would have taken longer trying to remove pieces and fit it back together w/o removing it all.  While I'm at it I'm also replacing the bulkhead with birch.  The original isn't too bad but does have some swelling and it just looks cheap, especially the sliding access door which I'm replacing with cabinet style doors.
The toys go where we go

ORCCGEAR.COM - ORCC Gear Store, Quality Gear for the Outdoor Enthusiast