User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Zoom Details 1
Lava Lake
 Views: 247
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.97
Posted by Twisty
Aug 16, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

1976 Cub Camper
This is my pup! 
 Views: 105
Posted by lavo
Today
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 2000 Viking 1706  (Read 1901 times)

Offline DSCinVegas

• Star Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photos
2000 Viking 1706
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »
Okay-- I had to start somewhere, right?--- lol

Don't laugh--- pics on the link to the left.  So my first attempt/task in giving my pop up a more modern look... today while camping out at dreary (a rare Vegas day for sure with no sunshine) Lake Mead, I swapped out the old brass hardware on the cabinet doors, hinges and drawers with a brushed stainless/nickel finish.  Next stop--- having the dinette seating re-upholstered in Gray flannel and having new curtains made to match.  After that, new stainless steel laminate on the counter top  surfaces.  Will keep you posted on the progress.  Can't take the green much longer. lol
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:40:36 PM by DSCinVegas »
DSC
New owner of a 2000 Viking PopUp
http://community.webshots.com/user/DSCinVegas

Offline Eagle85

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NE [NE]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 Viking 1706
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »
Your pup looks great.  You'll have a great time using it.

Mine is the 1906 same year.  I haven't done any mods yet but want to do some minor updates this winter.  I do have a question for you.  I am looking to add and a/c to mine this year.  Is your roof modified anyway to hold the weight?  Mine has the hook up for the wiring but I was worried about the roof collapsing.  It's in great shape like yours so I don't want to risk damaging anything.
Ty, Missy & 3 DS's
2000 Viking Saga 1906
2011 Ford F150

Offline DSCinVegas

• Star Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photos
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »
Hi Eagle---thanks very much!

Your Question--- I don't think mine is rated for A/C.  I've looked thru the current Viking site before and seems to me that this model, their smallest will not support it.  Living in the desert here, we tend to go into the mountains in the summer--- it's just too hot at 115 in July to stay down in the valley. lol.   Also, I'm not sure I would ever use it as I tend to camp where there are no power hook-ups either.  Glad to hear that you like yours as well!
DSC

Offline Dusty82

• Eagle Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:36:16 PM »
Nothing at all to laugh at, DSC. Looking good. Looking at the pictures of your doors, I can't tell what kind of material they're made of. It looks like an applied vinyl oak-grain material, with exposed MDF edges - is that right? I have a couple of things to recommend to you to that'll clean up, polish, and probably go a long way to covering the scratches and such. I'm hesitant to make those recommendations because I don't know what those door edges are.

If I may, I'd like to caution you not to go for flannel for upholstery. I may get some argument on this, but I think you'll be much more satisfied with an upholstery fabric with a flannel look, if the flannel look is really what you're going after. While flannel might be a little cheaper than a similar looking upholstery fabric, it won't wear nearly as well. I don't know what kind of camping you normally do, how dirty or wet people get, or if you have kids who seem to make spilling things a separate hobby on its own (like my kids did,) but most flannel isn't up to that kind of wear. It could be done - don't get me wrong. I think, however, that you'd be replacing the upholstery within 5 years - if that long. It would work for curtains and such, but I really think you'll be sorely disappointed if you had your seat cushions upholstered in it.
Currently Pupless

2004 Jeep Liberty - "Ol' Broad" 1995 Chevy Silverado - "The Truck"

Offline DSCinVegas

• Star Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photos
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 01:50:42 AM »
Hi Dusty-- Thank you.

Yeah, I guess I use the gray flannel terminology fairly generic.  Will definitely pick out a polyester or some other man made fabric instead of wool or cotton, something repellent.  My dogs use the dinette seating as the jumping off point from one of the bunks LOL.  I Will just be going for that gray/black weave that we all know.

I'm not sure what the cabinetry is made of. It's definitely not solid oak.  I'd actually like to have all of that re-stained in an espresso/jacobean finish.  I've done this before on other wood and fake wood materials so I might take one of the doors off an play around with seeing what will work on the "back" side-- (in case it "doesn't" work). lol  To do this, I have applied the stain and just not wiped it off as you would normally--- seemed to always just work as long as you take your time with it.  Roughing it up helps prior.

DSC

Offline Dusty82

• Eagle Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 02:01:30 AM »
Well, I was going to suggest something like Old English dark furniture polish or Scott's Liquid Gold, but if you're going to paint or stain them, I wouldn't use either polish. It would be a holy mess to remove before painting, and the paint wouldn't stick worth beans.

Any kind of upholstery fabric will work for your cushions and curtains. For the cushions, applying a stain repellent like Scotchguard to the fabric really helps keep them clean. It doesn't waterproof the fabric, but it does repel liquids and some solid stains.

Currently Pupless

2004 Jeep Liberty - "Ol' Broad" 1995 Chevy Silverado - "The Truck"

Bear Creek Canvas