User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Fall Camping
Fall Camping at Algonac State Park (Wagon Wheel Campsite #368) October 4th 2013.
 Views: 96
Posted by lazydays
Apr 19, 2014
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

FL camping trip March 2014 001
 Views: 82
Posted by woodosgood
Mar 31, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Thinking about buying this '93 Jayco...  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Nissan11

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Thinking about buying this '93 Jayco...
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
Hi all, I am new to pop up campers and I have to admit I have never even been inside one. Im looking for something to use as a place to get out of the rain with climate control nighs when I am at motocross races.
 A friend of a friend is selling this Jayco. He is supposed to send me some interior pictures tomorrow. Anything you can tell me about it would be great!
It's a 93, I'm unsure of the model. He says it's about a 12ft box. It has AC as you can see. He said the canvas is in good shape and there are no leaks but that a lift cable is broken. Is this a common problem? How much trouble is it to replace one?
It is located over 3 hours from me and he is asking $1,000. I'm very excited to get the pictures of the interior. I need a camper that can comfortably house 4 people. Will this work for me? Thanks!

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
Re: Thinking about buying this '93 Jayco...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
Buying something from pictures is not the easiest thing to do. The wood on the sides and front need to be looked at for damage. The roof has to be up about a foot to feel between the sides and canvas to feel for wet or rotted wood. As for the lift cables, get inside with the roof down and remove the box step between the cabinets on the front or rear interior panel (whichever one has the winch hole on the outside) Inside this step box are the cable ends and safety eyebolts. Repairing something in there could make the roof operable. The reason I suggest inspecting the roof wood is because of the age and the roof A/C which can leak. A 12 foot box is a good size PUP. Plan to replace the tires, repack the wheel bearings, and modify your TV to haul this around. If it has electric brakes a controller in the TV will be needed. Any PUP you get, make sure you get all of the electrical harness to the PUP coupler. A missing end piece could be a pain. Oh something else;
Welcome from Connecticut.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline Richard

• Camper, 1st Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Classified Development
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:39:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure that that model Jayco will be using the L&W lift system.  If it's hard to crank up, pass on it.  (They are all easy to crank down)

Don't buy the line that it's hard to crank up because of the weight of the AC unit.  Those roofs are designed to support a couple of hundred pounds.  If it's hard to crank up, there are pully problems with the L&W system and it's a pain in the backside to fix them, plus the parts are high.
We are making memories that our children will tell their grandchildren about.  Richard and 3 little kids camp in E. Tennessee.  DW doesn't get camping

Offline peppster66

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
Hi,I owm  the exact same model,,it looks like a jayco 1207, except mine is a 95' model, but we absolutely love it, it is well built, very strong, and we had 8 people sleep in ours last summer, and still lots of room. we have the dining table with 2 benches, and also the wraparound couch, its great for those rainy days, or just relaxing inside,,There is a list on here of things you should check before buying, but ,I think the price is fair, if you need to do some work on the lift system, check it out ,if its clean ,and the canvass is in good shape, and your happy with it, I dont think you can lose on it. You could easily sell it for more any time in the future. Good luck with it. If you have any specific questions about the jayco, let me know, and I will do my best to answer them for you... this site is great for any info you would need on repairs etc....., good luck,,,,Josef,,,,

Offline candleems

• Life Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:19:51 PM »
A new lift system is $1000 installed. Take a few friends with you, some 2x4 braces. Manually l ift it up and check it out. Look for rot. EVERYWHERE. Around the AC, at the bottom of the lift arms where they secure to the floor. I'd be surprised if the roof didn't have some rot.

Check out the caulking. Is it pulling away from where it should be. Leakage!

I paid $750 for a 94 jayco w/o an AC, awning, heater or working fridge. And I paid $1000 for a new lift system (installed. Didn't know I could do it myself). UGH!

You MUST see the canvas. A new canvas is $800 or so. Refer to Bear Creek Canvas for quote on a new one.
Awnings run $200-300.

None of this makes a difference if the wood is rotting. Search on this site about how to do a pre-buy inspection.

It's a fixer upper. Are you mechanical? Do you mind putting the work in? It might be quite a lot of work if you have to strip off all the aluminum and rebuild the roof, box, even the floor. This site is a great place to find answers to all your questions. Keep reading. It's on here. And ask lots of questions. Take lots of pictures when you get to see it.

Also, does the owner have a clean title. In hand? Mine did not. What a pain in the arse. Bought it in Feb. Didn't drive it away till April. And still had to get the lift fixed to have it for Memorial Day.

If anything is out of whack or feels shoddy, walk away. You can buy older PUPs in better condition. I'd love one that has the lift mechanics on the outside. Then you can SEE when something is wrong.

Good luck. Keep asking.
Barb '74, DH '63, DD '02
South Central PA
2010 Chevy Silverado, Kia Sedona, 1997 Jayco 1207KR

Offline Nissan11

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
Thanks for all the info! When checking for rot, how do I see the wood? Is it all covered in pannels? If the roof does have some rotting, is replacing it as simple as unbolting the lifts system, stripping the panels, removing the AC, canvas and electrical? I am mechanically inclined. Could I replace the factory roof with an angle iron frame and sheet metal? How does the canvas attach?

Thanks again!

Offline Richard

• Camper, 1st Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Classified Development
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
Odds are you are in good shape.  The price seems fair to me too.  You can check the "book value" at NADA.com, but that's a suspect value on older units.  The condition is the main thing.  Buy the thing and let's go camping.  (I'm in East Tennessee). 

The canvas install, if you need one, is pretty simple.  there are channels that you press a spline into, and a few screws.  Rot is pretty easily found by looking in the corners of the floor.  Take a flashlight and a screwdriver and look under there.  If the screwdriver goes into soft wood, run away.  If not, you are likely OK.  Odds are the roof is in good shape, or else it will show.  The lift system, if needed is a do it yourself project, but the parts are about $500.  You might not need all the parts.  The thing that happens to the Jaycos, Vikings and Coachmen pups is that the floor gets soft, and the pullies get pulled out of level when tension is on the lift wires.  That's why it's important to crank it up yourself.  If the system is damaged, you'll know it.  It shouldn't be actually easy to crank, but it shouldn't take manhandling to do it either.
We are making memories that our children will tell their grandchildren about.  Richard and 3 little kids camp in E. Tennessee.  DW doesn't get camping

Offline peppster66

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
I agree with Richard, a lot of the times, the lift system can be fixed by a diy fix, I have never had problems with mine, but i have taken it apart and lubed and oiled it up , it doesnt look all that difficult,,,,follow the advice of others here, and do the important checks for the wood rot, and other troubled areas,   good luck,,,,,

Offline Nissan11

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:15:09 PM »
So if crawl under the camper I can see the wood floor? The underside isn't covered?

Offline Nissan11

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »
Here are some pictures he just sent me

Offline Nissan11

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »

He said the floor is very solid and in good shape and so is most of the roof like around the AC.
However, he said the same spot on both ends is soft. Here is a picture. How bad is this? Will I have to replace the entire roof?

Offline Albert and Melanie

• Eagle Camper
    • OK [OK]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Laniebg
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 02:43:23 PM »
I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but I don't like the looks of all that rust. And is the bed wet in that one pic?
[:)C] Albert, [XK] Melanie, [8D] Dylan
The 4-legged babies, [DOG] Henry, Harry, and Chloe
Nights camped in 2010 - 12

Offline Nissan11

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »
He says that it was moisture on the canvas from folding it up. He says it's condnsation and that the mattress is dry.

Offline Yellowkayak

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
Is it suppose to sit that low.  I'd be afraid of speed pumps, going up and down driveways, seems to me the wheels and tires are to small for that trailer, but I could be wrong.  I would not buy anything that sits that low.  Check the springs.

JJ

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »
That rusty bracket is most likely caused by the center seam of the roof leaking. That bracket is only screwed in the wood ..... if it loose or has replacement thru bolts ..... there is a problem with the wood. The PUP doesn't look bad, but you have to know what you are letting yourself it for.  If this was for sell near me, I would look at it thoroughly, and not rule it out just yet. One spot to fix .... not bad ...... many ... I would pass.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy