User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 770
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

All ready for winter
All ready for the first snow fall  [:(]
 Views: 33
Posted by Bryan440
Oct 30, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

TN - Cedars of Lebanon SP east of Nashville by Snow
[Today at 08:49:24 AM]

Looking for something small? by RockyOnTheRoad
[Today at 08:47:53 AM]

After Blowing out Water System Antifreeze or no Antifreeze? by jrclocks
[Today at 08:33:22 AM]

Put grease on the hitch ball? by Hoosier Daddy
[Today at 08:27:31 AM]

bike rack receiver? by Hoosier Daddy
[Today at 08:13:48 AM]

What to do when there are no proper length parking spots?? by Snow
[Today at 07:37:49 AM]

Are we hooked up? by Jflyboym
[Today at 07:18:53 AM]

2nd Trip Out West by vagov
[Today at 07:17:38 AM]

POLL: Roadside Assistance Program by bburgcamper
[Today at 07:00:57 AM]

2015 Indiana Spring Rally by bburgcamper
[Today at 06:56:46 AM]

Adding foam under bunk mattresses by 94-D2
[Today at 04:10:38 AM]

First trip by thejohnsons
[Today at 02:53:16 AM]

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: PUPs stove or stand alone stove?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline LakePUP

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
PUPs stove or stand alone stove?
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »
I have recently purchased a new to me PUP (2002 Coleman Cottonwood) and have a question regarding cooking.  The PUP came with a 2 burner stove, but the counter insert that is used to sit the stove in has been broken.  I have the bracket which holds the counter to the outside of the camper and the metal support post.  My question is should I build a new counter to use with the stove or purchase a stand alone stove similar to the COLEMAN PERFECTFLOW 2-BURNER PROPANE STOVE?  Thank you for your input.
2011 Toyota 4Runner
2002 Coleman Cottonwood

Offline NYgranny

• Eagle Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: PUPs stove or stand alone stove?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »
Don't know how much time, money and trouble it will take for you to repair your pup's stove. We use both the stove in the pup and our stand-alone propane stove. The one in the camper is a low-flow model (I think they all are) and it takes longer to cook on it. Some trips we use only the pup stove, but often cook outside on the stand-alone. We have an RVQ that fastens to the outside of the pup---it's low-flow, too, and takes longer to grill. We carry a table-top propane grill with us, too. I guess you have to decide for yourself, but I vote "Do both".
Let's go camping!
Barb

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:14:44 PM »
I think that stove is a low pressure stove and from what i've heard and read here they just don't perform as well as the high pressure stoves like the stand-alone Colemans.  I use a Coleman duel burner I picked up at an outdoor store and hook it up to a 20lb propane tank, works well.
Ray '75, Julie '74, Connor '07, Haley '10 & 2 Springers
[TV] 2009 Honda Pilot [PU] 2007 Utah
The toys go where we go

Offline jtuc1

• Camper, 1st Class
    • AL [AL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
Hi,
    If I understand you correctly, the stove still works just fine, it just won't fit into the counter correctly inside the pup. If it were me, I would see which will cost the most, building a stand for the pup stove, or getting a new stove. Then I would do the option that costs the least. I never use the pup stove inside the pup anyway. I prefer not to cook in there. It may not really make cooking smells get into the canvas, but I always thought it might. 
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD ext cab
2005 Fleetwood Victory

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
I say to get a free-standing Coleman camp stove and cook outside, well away from your PUP.  Those stoves are not very expensive and perform much better than the reduced pressure models made for the PUP.
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

Offline kitphantom

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:21:08 PM »
It will depend on what your style and preferences are for cooking. There are some on the board who never cook in the pup; some have removed the stove, others have left it in for resale value. I think others never cook on anything but the pup's stove, in &/or outside.

We prefer to cook outside, on a white gas Coleman. However, it is handy to have the capability to do simple meals or hot water inside. We use the inside stove if the weather is too cold or windy (after years of ground camping, having an alternative is luxury); I also used it on quick overnight stops traveling to & from the east last year.
We actually have a new cook top ordered, as ours was not working well. [We removed the sink last year during renovation, the extra counter space is far more useful.]

If you aren't sure if you will cook inside, you might want to take a couple of trips with things the way they are and see how it works.
Andrea & Courtenay  TT: 2015 White Water Retro 177; TV: [TV] 2005 4Runner
'14: 60 nights camped/8 trips, planned: 4 nights/1 trip
2010 Coleman Cobalt 4 sale

Offline txpups

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:21:48 PM »
Personal opionion here, but we just don't cook in the PUP.  We have a Weber Q we use to grill on, and a Coleman cookstove that we use on our little kitchen to go table.  We occasionally use the micro in the PUP and have a portable oven that we have yet to use.  I think you'll find that the more time you spend with your PUP, the more you'll find you don't want to cook IN the PUP unless by force. 
2 gals and 2 fur-kids from Keller, TX
2005 Ford F250 XLT/2 Kayaks/1 Sailboat
84 Coleman Redwood/86 Coleman Sun Valley

Offline bupkis

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »
The in/out stoves are hard pressed to boil a large pot of water.

A Coleman 2 burner stove works much better and can be hauled to wherever the outside kitchen is. I also have a CampChef Weekender.
"All we want are the facts, ma'am"
'07 Chevy Colorado 3.7L I5
gone but not forgotten '96 Coachmen Sport 086

Offline Flyfisherman

• Eagle Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
We use a Coleman 2-burner camp stove for cooking outside, and is a high pressure stove (10 psi if I remember correctly) and is well suited for outdoor use. Rather than using one of those 16oz disposable canister tanks, I have it rigged with an 8' L/P hose and it's connected to a refillable L/P tank ... much cheaper and more effecient.

The camper indoor/out door stove stays inside and will use it for the morning coffee or heating hot water, soup or left overs in bad weather and we're forced inside.  These indoor RV cooking stoves are low pressure, rated a 11" WC pressure. To get that in perspective, 1 psi = 28" WC pressure. That outdoor Coleman camp stove will blow the lid off this indoor/outdoor camper stove performance wise.
Fly
'02 GMC Sierra  ...  Starcraft  (sold)
But still have the old 9' X 9' Coleman Dome Tent!

Offline LakePUP

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
How do you rig a 20 lb tank to work with a Coleman stove in leiu of the small tanks?
2011 Toyota 4Runner
2002 Coleman Cottonwood

Online Snow

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Pictures
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »
We use both stoves and a tabletop bbq..   we have the coleman stove and bbq connected to a 20 lb tank and the I/O stove connected to the pup..    comes in handy when you got 4 out of 5 burners going for breakfast...   
Craig
[:D] Me, [::)] DW, [8D] DS1, [8D] DS2, [}:)] Da Dog.
2005 Outback 21RS Pushing a 2012  Dodge Ram. 2014 Ontario Summer Rally Member - July 4-6/2014

Offline Mosbyranger

• Copper
  • Eagle Camper
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »
I took the stove and sink out of my pup and replaced them with a counter top.  It made for more usable space.  If I need to cook in the pup I'll use the 2 burner portable stove and a small green propane tank.  Outside, we have a 20 lb tank with a tree on it that allows us to mount a lantern on top and run 2 hoses if needed, to other appliances like the stove.  The tree and hoses are available at Wal- Mart.  I shop there because Rangerson works there and I get a 10% discount. I'm sure that they are available at other outlets as well.
MR
Mosbyranger, Mrs Mosbyranger- Camping Goddess
Onward.......thru the fog

Online Snow

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Pictures
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 09:09:22 PM »
How do you rig a 20 lb tank to work with a Coleman stove in leiu of the small tanks?

With one of these

OR one of these 

and a couple of these

Craig
[:D] Me, [::)] DW, [8D] DS1, [8D] DS2, [}:)] Da Dog.
2005 Outback 21RS Pushing a 2012  Dodge Ram. 2014 Ontario Summer Rally Member - July 4-6/2014

Offline starcrafty

• Life Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 10:46:30 PM »
Here's another question this thread brings up for me. Let's say I don't have a water heater or furnace, and I don't use the fridge on gas.  If I properly cap the gas line to the fridge, and cap the quick disconnect fitting intended for use with the stove inside, could I safely take the regulator out-of-line, and use my original PUP stove hung on the outside as a high pressure stove?  In y'all's opinion, would the orifices on the stove burners be close enough to correct size, and would the line and the outside quick disconnect fitting be strong enough? I have an '84 Starcraft with original lines and fittings, stored under a shed, but exposed for its lifetime to ambient air. What is the delta between high pressure and low pressure systems, anyway? Is it really that much? High pressure is tank pressure, right? And the regulator on your grill (barbecue to some, but I won't get into those semantics here), is it set somewhere between high(unregulated)pressure, and low(like the PUP system)pressure? Those sideburners don't seem to have a problem heating up in the wind out on the deck at home.
Some of our most treasured friends are met at "uninteresting places."

Offline Flyfisherman

• Eagle Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 11:18:40 PM »
Propane tank pressure will run 60 to 120 psi depending on factors like outside temp and altitude. Most two stage regulators for RV's drop the pressure to 10 psi in the first stage and then down to 11" WC pressure for the main line going to the camper appliances.

A RV stove intended for interior use, set-up for 11" WC pressure, would have to be stove jet modified in order to handle a higher pressure (say, for example, 10 psi). But no way could such a stove handle direct tank pressure without a regulator.

Personally, I would be Leary of making a modification to the regular stove. Certainly have heard of it being done, but I think you would be better off simply buying a stove for the higher pressure with a matching regulator.
Fly
'02 GMC Sierra  ...  Starcraft  (sold)
But still have the old 9' X 9' Coleman Dome Tent!

PopupGizmos Solar Bunkend Covers