User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Camping in Atacama Desert Chile
Our first bondock camping at the Atacama Desert
 Views: 23
Posted by chileankj
Mar 15, 2014
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

1986 Jayco Jaydove
First time out for this new to me 1986 Jaydove pop up! In really great condition!
 Views: 145
Posted by redboots
Apr 12, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

PopUp Times
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Trailmanor  (Read 2885 times)

Offline bobhcs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Trailmanor
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »
For any Trailmanor owners out there, how do you like them?  What things do you like or dislike about them?  Thanks.
Bob [CO]  --Camping with Solar Power--
2008 Ford F-150 SuperCrew [TV]
2011 Trailmanor 2720 [PU]

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Trailmanor
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:21:54 AM »
I'm a new TrailManor owner, having just bought one about a month ago.  Unfortunately, I've not been able to use it yet because of the weather.  I bought it for a faster, easier setup-tear down than a PUP (important on long touring trips) and for the hard-side protection.  I can say that it tows like a dream.  I bought it from a guy who lives about 150 miles from me and it was an easy pull.
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

Offline bobhcs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »
Tripod,

Did you feel the need for an anti-sway bar?

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:15:26 AM »
Absolutely not.  TrailManors are specifically designed to avoid sway.  Their axles are mounted farther to the rear than the axles of PUPs and many TTs.  This does result in a heavier tongue weight though so weight distribution is usually advised.  I will be fine-tuning my WDH for a loaded truck and trailer before my first camping trip.  I initially set it up for the drive home when both were empty.  As I said in my earlier post, it towed like a dream. 

Offline bobhcs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »
Are you considering the purchase of a TrailManor?

Offline bobhcs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »
Yea, we've thought about it even before we bought our last popup.  We like the popup but the thought of faster setup sounds good.  We like sleeping with the canvas but are going more places with bears and a hardsided is appealing for that reason.  We've looked at them several times and are close to buying one.  We live in Colorado Springs which has the number one Trailmanor dealer.  The model that we like is the 2720 (standard) with swing away hitch because it will fit in our garage.  I want one without A/C because our driveway is at an angle and I am concerned about clearance.  We usually camp without electricity and at high enough elevations that it gets nice and cool at night.  I put a 85W solar panel on our popup and that has worked out great.  At first we were thinking about used but have had trouble finding one without A/C.  Trailmanor dropped all their prices by $1200 in January and is offering an additional $2000 off plus $3000 more from the dealer.  I've been reading the Trailmanor Owner's Forum for a few weeks and it seems like most people are pretty happy with them.

I was glad to see your post about it towing so well.  Have you noticed the extra tongue weight with the wheels farther back?  I forgot to ask if you use a weight distribution hitch.

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:21:51 AM »
We are really thinking alike.  I got it for the same reasons.  I actually would have preferred the standard 2720 but was willing to go with whichever I found first, that or a 2619 that was in top condition at a great price.  It turned out to be the 2619.   

I also have a sharply angled driveway.  Mine comes downhill from the street.  Unfortunately, the TM I bought does have a "low profile" AC on the roof and it can't clear the top of the garage door because of it so I have to use an RV storage yard.  If I had bought it new and was able to select the options I would not have added an AC.  The Cascade Mountains and North Pacific beaches are cool and I never camp with hook-ups so the thing is just useless weight.  It will probably cost me a bit of mileage too because of the air drag.

Yes, the axle placement does cause in increased tongue weight and yes, I do have a WDH.  That makes the trailer level and gets the truck very darn close to level.

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »
One point that I forgot to mention.  I used to be able to see out the back window, right over the PUP.  This was nice when driving and especially nice when backing up the PUP.  The folded TrailManor is as high as the tow vehicle so I can no longer see out the back window or over the trailer and this makes backing up a bit more tricky.  It also means that good mirrors are essential for safe driving, lane changing, etc.

Offline Twisty

• Diamond
  • Eagle Camper
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »
UT, are you going to take off that A/C so you can keep the TM at home? [?:~{]
Twisty should be used for entertainment purposes only.
2014 Boss 6.2 F350
2012 SV264

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 02:49:50 AM »
I'm not sure, Twisty.  I don't know how much of a hassle it would be to get it off and redo the roof properly -- or what that would cost.  I'd sure hate to end up dealing with a nagging leak problem.  I'm also not enthusiastic about leaving a car outside all of the time either.  On the other side of the equation, though, I have $47.50 going to the RV storage yard every month. I'm going to leave things as they are for the present and let the decision "percolate" in my subconscious for a while.

Offline bobhcs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »
We're going to take our popup into the dealer so that they cab look at it and we can look at the Trailmanor again.

Offline carolina campers

• Eagle Camper
    • SC [SC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »
Thanks for all of the info, guys!  We want to upgrade from our PUP, too.  NOT because we don't like it.  In fact, I LOVE my PUP!  It will be REAL hard for me to say goodbye. 
We are weekenders, and the set-up and take-down with the PUP is both time-consuming and more challenging physically as we are aging.  We were looking at travel trailers and hybrids.  But then there are the storage issue.  So I started researching Trailmanors.  We would need one with air, as we live in the southeast, and often take our small dogs along.  They can't tolerate the heat.  Looked at the 2720 w/swing hitch.  Would you happen to know if one with air fit in my 7 1/2 foot tall garage? 
Chuck, Shelly, and our three campin' doxies
TVs: '03 Honda Pilot,  '11 Nissan Frontier
PUP:'02 Rockwood Freedom 1980; TT: '12Coachmen Apex 22QBS

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
I think the best thing to do is call a TrailManor dealer and ask how high the 2720 is with a low profile AC on top.  But, if your garage door is 7.5' (most are 7') I suspect it would fit if the driveway is level.

Offline bobhcs

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »
UT,  We ordered a 2720 today!  It should be here in 4-6 weeks.  Thanks for your help.

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.