User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Zoom Details 1
Lava Lake
 Views: 128
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.97
Posted by Twisty
Aug 16, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

photo 1
 Views: 432
Posted by Boomy
Aug 15, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

BedWedgiesâ„¢ Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: viking storage lid cracked, need help  (Read 3575 times)

Offline candvf

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
viking storage lid cracked, need help
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:16:10 PM »
My 1998 viking 2470st had a storage lid on the front top of the storage box that is approximately 80" x 22".  The crack is near the top of the lid and measures 2'.  I called viking parts and after shipping and handling they want approximately $300 for a new one that doesn't include the seals or hardware.  Does anyone know where i can find a used one or anywhere that might have one quite cheaper than that.  My only other option after reading other posts is to attempt the abs/mek method but don't know how that would hold up being the crack i located on the top of a ridge.  Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Offline Shuley

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NE [NE]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: viking storage lid cracked, need help
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
I would start by asking the dealer what other models this specific replacement lid will fit.  That may help you find a decent used replacement.

I would bet on a Repair more than a replacement.  Did it crack due to a structural issue, or just exposure?
Jason and Janet

Offline candvf

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:39:46 PM »
I think the crack occurred during removal and reinstalling the lid as I rebuilt the front storage box that had rotted.  The nearest dealer had no idea where to get a used one.  I sure would like to find a website that i could possibly find a used one but i have searched and searched and can't find anything on this.

Offline Shuley

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NE [NE]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »
My point of finding what other model and year that this new lid will fit is to broaden the possibilities of finding a used replacement.  If for instance it will fit a few other Viking models and years, you can keep an eye out for someone parting out one of them.  Good luck!
Jason and Janet

Offline sircampalott

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • AL [AL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »
I also had a cracked lid.  It was actually 3 hairline cracks that i did not notice when I purchased but over time they grew to be much larger than hairline.  I removed the lid and for about $20 did a extensive (overkill)  fiberglass job on the bottom of it.  It was not the prettiest but it was underneath.  Once I put the lid back on I did a pretty job on top.

Offline candvf

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:34:12 AM »
I guess I am going to order some ABS pellets and attempt the ABS/MEK method and see what happens.  The seal underneath the lid covers the crack so I am going to have to peal it up and try from underneath.  I would prefer to do it on top but don't know what kind of mess it will make and what it will look like when it dries.  I am going to have to check some posts from people who have done this type of repair to see how to mix the ABS/MEK and how they applied it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  As far as other models that have the same lid, I just saw a new viking pop up that appeared to have the same size lid although I did not measure it.

Offline Highway Hilton

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • SC [SC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our Camping Trips
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:17:29 PM »
I did the MEK method on my Viking and I was very surprised how well it worked. I think those lids are very notorious for cracking. I am getting a cover for mine to keep the sun off of it.
Doug & Dale Simpsonville, SC
2002 Viking Legend 2485 ST
1999 Dodge 1500 4x4

Offline bigdad

• Wagonmaster
  • Eagle Camper
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:21:30 PM »
I had to replace both of mine when i still had my 05 coachmen clipper 1265 st i still both of them the body panel and the lid there not real thick abs.
camping is life.
1998 Ford F-150 4x4
 2012 Light House FB21

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
I had a local machine shop fabricate a diamond plate cover for $165 and it turned out great and will last forever!
Ray '75, Julie '74, Connor '07, Haley '10 & 2 Springers
[TV] 2009 Honda Pilot [PU] 2007 Utah
The toys go where we go

Offline maromeo

• Star Camper
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/maromeo
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »
We fixed our storage lid also. I drilled a stop point at the beginning and end of the crack line. I then used a abs glue by loctite in the crack and on the top and bottom of it. It dries to a yellowish color. I sanded down the expansion with a fine grade sand papaer to almost unoticeable and spray painted with a rustoleum plastic fusion paint in the satin finish. It worked out very well.

Hope this helps.

Mary
Joe, Mary,15yr DD, 29 yr DS in Army back on US Soil
2014 Ram 2500 4 X 4 MC Diesel, 2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
http://community.webshots.com/user/maromeo

Offline wildlucky4me

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »
We just purchased a 2004 Viking 2472 with a cracked storage lid.  The previous owner admitted to sitting luggage on top of the lid and cracking it.  I, too, inquired about the cost of a replacement lid and decided to spend $10 for a tube of RV caulk to seal the crack inside and out.  Our crack was right in the curve and bend, so the caulk blended in nicely... although noticeable.  For the cost difference, I'm happy with the results.
Karen

Offline ben31popup

• Camper, 1st Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »
Bigdad, where did you find your replacements.  My 80 x 22 has many cracks in it.  I have silicone caulking holding it very well, but should look at replacing it soon.  Also, where did you y'all get the replacement seals?
Ben
1999 Coachmen Clipper 1290 STS
TV 2002 F-150

Offline Starcraft Away

• Eagle Camper
    • NB [NB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »
I like the machine shop idea with the diamond plate, definitely would last the longest
[HY] 2010 Starcraft Travelstar 197rb
[PUT] 2007 F150 4.6  V8 with Tow Package

Offline RFryer

• Star Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:14:58 AM »
x2, with flexible edge trim on it.  I don't think I got my original trim to fit.
Ray '75, Julie '74, Connor '07, Haley '10 & 2 Springers
[TV] 2009 Honda Pilot [PU] 2007 Utah
The toys go where we go

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Dubbya's Popup Camper Mods Page
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 09:32:01 AM »
candvf, I'm with Rfryer and agree that fixing your ABS lid is the less expensive option but once they've deteriorated to a point where they're starting to crack, I'd expect that it's bound to continue to crack elsewhere. Mine is still hanging in there but I'd highly recommend a diamond plate replacement as well.

That's the route I'll take when mine gives cashes it in. The ABS lids are just too flimsy for my time and money.
The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much that ain't so.  ~Josh Billings

Bear Creek Canvas