User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 991
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

IMG 20141123 134829449
 Views: 49
Posted by jswalton84
Nov 23, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Tenderfoot is Accurate by sleach
[Today at 12:53:51 PM]

2015 - Ontario Summer Down By The River Rally by ccptbo
[Today at 12:47:44 PM]

2015 - Texas Sweetheart Rally by Ryanincc
[Today at 12:36:20 PM]

Is this an 'appropriate' tool?? by R00
[Today at 11:57:02 AM]

What'your favorite Thanksgiving Pie? by exploreco
[Today at 11:25:14 AM]

2015 Michigan Rally- 4th Annual - Holly Recreation Area by RockyRoo
[Today at 11:11:47 AM]

Asheville KOA by bud121156
[Today at 11:11:43 AM]

Coleman/Fleetwood Evolution owners? E1/E2/E3 by teejaywhy
[Today at 10:48:33 AM]

Kings Mountian Gathering May 15-17 by yetavon
[Today at 10:18:50 AM]

First Summer with a 14 ft Fleetwood by Jman
[Today at 09:38:31 AM]

Hello from Pennsylvania by Jman
[Today at 09:33:59 AM]

Space Heater - for a 12' pop up camper by grantar2
[Today at 02:33:55 AM]

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Anyone ever installed roof top ac unit  (Read 2206 times)

Offline williamjsmith55

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Anyone ever installed roof top ac unit
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
Ok here is my deal on this. I have purchased a 2001 Dutchmen 801d. It did not have ac when I purchased. Figured I could get the old lady out a little more with the ac unit. So I started checking prices and found new unit with the dealer installing would run me about $800 about $150 for the install and about $650 for the unit so I being the tight ass that I am started searching craigslist. So I come across a deal. Carrier air v 13500 btu unit with heat not working but good air. Went and looked at it and ran it. Has great ac and I think the heat problem is heat strip or limit that can kick heat strip out. Even if the heat never works I got a furnance so that is no big issue. I bought it for hundred bucks. My big thing now is getting it put on mine. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but the last thing I wanna do is mess the integrity of my roof up in any way. Dealer is gonna charge $150 if they install it. My question is have any of you installed these on pup before and if so how big of a job is it and how big of a risk is there for leakage afterward. I would sure like to be able to pull this whole ac unit installation of for $100. But if I have to I could fork over the extra buck n a half. $250 still ain't a bad price.
Billy smith
1999 jeep grand Cherokee limited  2001 Dutchmen 801d

Offline Robs Doghouse

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever installed roof top ac unit
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Last year when I was looking into installing A/C, my local dealer said it wasn't to difficult to do if I wanted to do it myself. All depends how you feel about cutting into your roof and possible water leaks afterwards. Our pup was A/C ready from the factory so already had roof bracing and electrical run. $150.00 to install the unit doesn't seem unreasonable and if there are any problems afterwards they would be liable for them.

Rob
DW Suzanne, DH Rob, DD Jessie-Black lab 2009
2011 Salem Cruise Lite 22RBXL
Nights Camped 2014-25

Offline TooTents

• Eagle Camper
    • IA [IA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:23:14 PM »
I installed my own - bought a Coleman Mach II from a dealer for about $500.00 - found the best price I could online and printed it off - the dealer matched the price. I removed my roof vent which took some elbow grease as the sealant was very resilient. Got the old vent off and installed the AC. My camper had the electrical set up needed but did not have additional roof supports. After a while I noticed some sag in the roof so I fashioned my own interior ceiling supports with some curved aluminum extrusions I got from a work project gone bad. I would strongly reccomend getting some additional ceiling supports if you go the do it yourself rout. I've learned that most campers that suggest they are AC ready simply means that there is a power source that is sufficient to handle it.
" When I get too tense, I go out in my two tents "
'11 Ford F150 Super crew
'11 Surveyor SP234T HTT

Offline Agcflash

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »
Yes I have!  Bought a 93 Jayco without air.  Called the manufacturer wo see if roof was "air ready" as far as supports go and they informed me all their units were from a certain year forward.   YEAH.  I already had the standard 14 inch roof vent.  The ACs are designed to install right over those same hole.  There is a gasket that you buy and use to assist in a leak free install.  Its 20 bucks..  buy one.   Just like previous poster, I removed my vent.  Installed the foam gasket.  Set the outside unit over the gasket/ hole.  Went inside and tightened it down with 4 very long tension screws. Then ran 20 amp cord to it.  Wired the bottom unit  and secured it to the upper unit.  Then hid the cord with a kit from Lowes and presto.   Have AC will Travel!!!!  Very easy.  One again, take make/model info in to dealer and BUY THE GASKET!!!  Good luck.  By the way is your pup 15, 20 amp?
2002 Bantam 21B Trail-Lite
2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD

Offline jasonwal

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:15:47 AM »
Yes I have!  Bought a 93 Jayco without air.  Called the manufacturer wo see if roof was "air ready" as far as supports go and they informed me all their units were from a certain year forward.   YEAH.  I already had the standard 14 inch roof vent.  The ACs are designed to install right over those same hole.  There is a gasket that you buy and use to assist in a leak free install.  Its 20 bucks..  buy one.   Just like previous poster, I removed my vent.  Installed the foam gasket.  Set the outside unit over the gasket/ hole.  Went inside and tightened it down with 4 very long tension screws. Then ran 20 amp cord to it.  Wired the bottom unit  and secured it to the upper unit.  Then hid the cord with a kit from Lowes and presto.   Have AC will Travel!!!!  Very easy.  One again, take make/model info in to dealer and BUY THE GASKET!!!  Good luck.  By the way is your pup 15, 20 amp?

I don't think I could echo Agcflash any better. I did the same thing in our 01 Starcraft 2105... that gasket is a big deal, make sure you have that. Other wise it was a cake walk.

Offline williamjsmith55

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:34:48 AM »
I got the vent taken out late last night and got the air conditioning unit put on the unit and bolted down. My 2001 Dutchmen 801d came pre-wired to the galley side but just has a plain cover over the wiring. I'm going to try to get a chance this evening to get an outlet and a cover for the outlet and get everything wired up and go ahead and run it. The heat is still a little bit of an issue on the unit as the heat strip checked out good as did the limit on the heat strip so I am going to have to check the switch on the heat and the thermostat to see how they check out. Got a hunch it is a bad thermostat. Will keep updating for anyone who has possible questions about putting there own air conditioning unit it later and will try to post some pics over the weekend.
Billy smith
1999 jeep grand Cherokee limited  2001 Dutchmen 801d

Offline Shab

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:16:58 PM »
I just started a different post regarding the same, albiet, I'm looking for knowledge specific to my pup make/model.

How is your's going?  Do you have a "rib" going down the center of your roof?  Mine does and I'm wonder how I should handle the aspect of cutting it since the four buttons indicating the 14" square are smack dab in the center of that rib.
Brian, Katie, Mikayla, Brianna & Cody
'95 Coleman Utah
'90 Chevy K1500

Bear Creek Canvas