User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 967
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Zoom Details 1
 Views: 354
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.98
Posted by stem44
Nov 13, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

So, what did you do for your camper, November 2014? by kitphantom
[Today at 10:50:00 PM]

Can it be done. by Nandy
[Today at 10:46:08 PM]

Speaking of generators...... by cirrus
[Today at 10:39:14 PM]

Removing bed ends by Nandy
[Today at 10:32:38 PM]

Space Heater - for a 12' pop up camper by Nandy
[Today at 10:18:37 PM]

2 elec. problems: No DC and 20 amp fuse at batt. blows by efehser
[Today at 10:13:23 PM]

Creaky bunk support brace. by otdrnt
[Today at 10:11:47 PM]

Science News: campfires are healthy! by Merlin14
[Today at 08:36:44 PM]

Campsites signs by nancyanddan
[Today at 08:28:51 PM]

Newbie by Merlin14
[Today at 08:18:14 PM]

Greetings from Sacramento by Merlin14
[Today at 08:16:05 PM]

Newbie by Merlin14
[Today at 08:14:04 PM]

PopUpGizmos - Black Thursday Sale
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Ryobi vs. Honda inverter generator  (Read 42489 times)

Offline turborich

• Eagle Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Ryobi vs. Honda inverter generator
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 08:58:19 PM »
You should post a video clip of the Ryobi running. Did you guys know that Ryobi also makes power tools for Sears which are sold under the Craftsman brand? It's true.
2000 Jayco Eagle 12 UDST
2000 Ford Expedition XLT
~MOLON LABE~

Offline JJ n Crew

• Eagle Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
I'm late posting about the Honda, own the 2 and 3k,
the 2000 don't run the ac, if you don't have ac unit or don't plan to use it, is a good generator.
If you need to run the ac or plan to do so, get the 3000 honda great unit, a little heavy, but very, very quiet.
John & Lely and the kids
'10 Jayco 14HW
'11 Tundra

Offline bupkis

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
I believe this university study demonstrates that Honda may exaggerate on how quiet their generators actual are! BTW, the 25' distance is a couple of feet farther away than the 7 meters Honda claims. Use the dB(A) numbers for comparison.

http://www.me.ua.edu/stal/Pages/PDF/HondaNoiseTests.pdf
"All we want are the facts, ma'am"
'07 Chevy Colorado 3.7L I5
gone but not forgotten '96 Coachmen Sport 086

Offline RockyMtnHigh

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »
I assume they are all going to exaggerate their results at db and distance. As someone mentioned above Ryobi doesn't tell you how far away from the unit they are when they got the 59db result they are claiming, they also don't tell you at what load that is either, which added to me being hesitant to order it.

I don't have a db meter so I can't tell anyone an accurate reading, but I can tell you side by side, 5 feet away we couldn't tell the difference. Turned one off, left one running and backed away and they sounded the same. Standing 5 feet away you could carry on a normal pitched conversation as well without raising your voice or turning your head to hear the other person.

For arguments sake, I will give Honda who has proven themselves time and time again in the market the benefit of the doubt using their low end result of 53db against the 59db of Ryobi and I ask myself is 6db really worth $300 more? I don't think so, especially for someone like me who won't be using this other than to charge the battery and occasionally run something time to time when my wife is out with me. This is also depends on the reliability factor of the Ryobi which remains to be seen.

$300 gets me more fly tying material or a new reel!  [:D]

I knew Ryobi made some of the Craftsman power tools, IMO that doesn't say a lot for them though, especially after K-Mart got a hold of them. My first table saw was a Ryobi BT3000 and they made a similar version for Sears back before the K-Mart merger with a different color scheme. I still have it, runs great, just doesn't get used nearly as much with the 3HP cabinet saw sitting in the shop now. Craftsman has for a long time outsourced their power and hand tools though, as well as the Husky and Kobalt brands, even the big dogs like Snap-On do it now. Black and Decker and DeWalt were in bed together long before the buy-out too, I have a DeWalt radial arm saw from the early 80s in the shop with Black and Decker motor in it.

I am rambling now and will shut the heck up and let you know how it works out!

Offline ColoDisco

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
I assume they are all going to exaggerate their results at db and distance. As someone mentioned above Ryobi doesn't tell you how far away from the unit they are when they got the 59db result they are claiming, they also don't tell you at what load that is either, which added to me being hesitant to order it.

I don't have a db meter so I can't tell anyone an accurate reading, but I can tell you side by side, 5 feet away we couldn't tell the difference. Turned one off, left one running and backed away and they sounded the same. Standing 5 feet away you could carry on a normal pitched conversation as well without raising your voice or turning your head to hear the other person.

For arguments sake, I will give Honda who has proven themselves time and time again in the market the benefit of the doubt using their low end result of 53db against the 59db of Ryobi and I ask myself is 6db really worth $300 more? I don't think so, especially for someone like me who won't be using this other than to charge the battery and occasionally run something time to time when my wife is out with me. This is also depends on the reliability factor of the Ryobi which remains to be seen.

$300 gets me more fly tying material or a new reel!  [:D]

I knew Ryobi made some of the Craftsman power tools, IMO that doesn't say a lot for them though, especially after K-Mart got a hold of them. My first table saw was a Ryobi BT3000 and they made a similar version for Sears back before the K-Mart merger with a different color scheme. I still have it, runs great, just doesn't get used nearly as much with the 3HP cabinet saw sitting in the shop now. Craftsman has for a long time outsourced their power and hand tools though, as well as the Husky and Kobalt brands, even the big dogs like Snap-On do it now. Black and Decker and DeWalt were in bed together long before the buy-out too, I have a DeWalt radial arm saw from the early 80s in the shop with Black and Decker motor in it.

I am rambling now and will shut the heck up and let you know how it works out!

All I know is if you fire that thing up next to me I am callin the cops!!  [{:)]   [:D]
-Brad
1987 Starcraft Astrolite
It's got Solar!

Offline RockyMtnHigh

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »
All I know is if you fire that thing up next to me I am callin the cops!!  [{:)]   [:D]

[LOL] If you're camped next to me, chances are you'll be calling the cops long before I fire it up anyway, so you don't have to worry about hearing it!  [}:)]

Offline Hacksaw

• Eagle Camper
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Fountain Lake Sportsmens Club
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 12:52:49 AM »
Thanks for the info about the SPL of the Ryobi ...I have always wondered why somebody didn't just copy the Honda design (oh wait they did) Not that I care if it is quiet,lasts and is cheaper I say great. BTW B&D have owned Dewalt since 1992 and in 2004 they acquired Pentair (Porter Cable,Delta and DeVillbiss)So now we have an explanation of why the new Unisaw sucks!
One Fish, Two Fish. I fish. You Fish ?
1998 Coleman/Fleetwood Sun Ridge - Papa's Ark
2000 Ford F150 crew cab -F/V Shoreline II

Offline RockyMtnHigh

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 02:23:25 AM »
in 2004 they acquired Pentair (Porter Cable,Delta and DeVillbiss)So now we have an explanation of why the new Unisaw sucks!

Yeah the Uni was such an awesome saw, I looked for an older one for a long time, I set out for something from the late 40s or 50s, when that failed I expanded my years a bit, but came up short. I wanted to be able to restore something, much like my antique Stanley hand plane addiction and use it. In this part of the country they're impossible to find, most of the old Uni's I found were back East. I ended up getting an older Grizzly from an Irish carpenter (that guy did some amazing work) here locally, with a Unifence on it. It does everything I need it to do and then some, but I still want that old cast iron, maybe some day, right now my focus is fishing and when I am not doing that I can be found sitting in front of the vise tying.

Guess I am drifting off-topic again!  [:!]

Offline JMHere

• Tenderfoot
    • DE [DE]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 11:13:49 PM »
Purchased the Ryobi and first impressions of the unit was it seamed a little louder then Honda EU2000i.  Other than that the Ryobi performed well.  It took about 6 or 7 initial pulls to get the unit started for the first time, after that it seamed like it would start anywhere between 1-3 pulls. I went right to test the power output and was amazed after plugging in a 1500watt Pelonis heater the generator barely kicked up to full speed.  I would assume the heater must not have been drawing a full 1500 watts.  But either way it was rated for 1500 and the Ryobi handled it well.  The unit is well designed with all the same features of the EU2000 plus the added benefit of the built in retractable handle which is really useful.  I wish the Honda had this.  As for reliability not sure how you will fare with that.  It claims to have a 3 year warranty but no servicing dealer's, so plan on shipping it back and forth if you need it.  The Ryobi is slightly larger +1" all around from the Honda.  As for the noise, I did a side by side test with the Honda EU2000i Companion model, the Honda with Eco Throttle off running at full speed is as loud as the Ryobi with no load an eco throttle turned on.  No decibel level meeter for true readings but standing right on top of them, you can tell the Honda is quieter. Also the Ryobi has more of a metal grinding sound that you can hear as the engine is running vs, the Honda where all you hear is the pur of the exhaust. The Ryobi also lacks the 20amp plug and the 30amp plug option the companion model gives, plus on the Ryobi although well thought out the receptacle covers will get in the way of strange and larger power adapters or cords.  I like the way the Honda has a drain drip for changing the oil, it will pour right over the edge into a container, the Ryobi you'll need to flip it completely upside down to drain it.  For my application i needed the quietest and most reliable generator and i found that no matter what the Honda started just about everytime on the first pull.  I can't say for the initial start as the dealer did that for me.  I was able to return the Ryobi to HD no problems for full credit. The weight of both units seamed similar, but the Ryobi has a handle and whells built in, so you wont need to carry it as much.  it will roll over grass, however you can't put much of and angle on it or the back of the generator will snag the ground. 

Offline RonB

• Star Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »
I am not familiar with that unit.  But I will give you my woodworking shop answer.  15-20 years ago Ryobi made some pretty descent woodworking and lawn equipment.  I recently turned a 15 year old Ryobi surface planer over to our son because I "needed" a bigger one.  it should go for several years.  Likewise, we have a Ryobi weed-eater that has very high hours and also 15-20 years old.  Beat up, runs good and recently had to do the first string head replacement with another brand's head.

BUT....more recently Ryobi let the bean-counters into their engineering and service departments and quality has gone down in both respects.  Many of their newer surface planers and other wood equipment are throw-aways.  They abandoned us with regard to spare parts and planer blades skyrocketed in price.  If it weren't for fit/function availability of another brands blade the price would have gone for $15 to $70 a set.  Same story with the previously mentioned string head - they abandoned us.

Don't trust 'em any more! [!]

RonB

Offline Manper

• Camper, 1st Class
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »
 Mrs Manper here and we bought a ryobi 3 trips ago and LOVE IT!  it's quiet and lighter than the sportsman and I can actually start it!!
2014 KZ Sportsman 242 Showstopper. Colorado natives!!

Offline ice_nyne

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »
== BUMP ==

Anybody else have experience with the Ryobi since it was released last summer?
2010 Coleman Utah, aka The Hoodoo

Offline marcham

• Star Camper
    • BC [BC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 08:16:52 PM »
I'm no expert in small engines, but wouldn't using the collapsible handle cause the oil to accumulate in the cylinder?

2012 F-150 SCrew 4x4 5.0
2007 Fleetwood E2
Nights camped 2012: 28

Offline Hacksaw

• Eagle Camper
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Fountain Lake Sportsmens Club
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »
We can't tell from that picture what configuration the engine is. Is it a vertical shaft or horizontal? In either case the crankcase is probably below the cylinder so there should be no worries with that...
One Fish, Two Fish. I fish. You Fish ?
1998 Coleman/Fleetwood Sun Ridge - Papa's Ark
2000 Ford F150 crew cab -F/V Shoreline II

Offline turborich

• Eagle Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
Listen to the difference. The Honda is much quieter & the RPM's are stable unlike the Ryobi.

Generator Ryobi 2000 vs Honda EU2000i
2000 Jayco Eagle 12 UDST
2000 Ford Expedition XLT
~MOLON LABE~

Bear Creek Canvas