User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 720
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

I got it!
 Views: 183
Posted by rfd21170
Oct 21, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

PopUp Times Magazine For Today's Small RV Enthusiast
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: KY - Fort Boonesborough Campground near Lexington  (Read 1326 times)

Offline GA Judy

• Eagle Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Scent By Angels Pet Memorial Candles
KY - Fort Boonesborough Campground near Lexington
« on: April 28, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
This is a smaller campground, little privacy between sites, but was quiet and quaint. Restrooms/bathhouse were outstanding and there was a recreation hall across the way. That was closed, however, and it must be seasonal. We got a full hookup site ($31/night; $26 electric/water; 10% senior discount), but the small onsite sewer processing plant was just across the lane from the row of full hookups. It was noisy the first night until we got used to it; same with occasional road noise which diminished as the evening got later -- or maybe we were too exhausted from the earlier evening storms to stay awake longer. [LOL] The CG and state park abut the Kentucky River with a boat ramp in the CG. The sites are fairly level but are small - only big enough for a 25-27 ft. camper (not bad for pop ups!) and TV. Each site had a tree for shade but looked front and back into the upper and lower sites as well as perhaps 60 ft. between campers. Picnic tables and fire rings were in good condition at each site.

There is a playground on both the CG and park grounds as well as a camp store that sells propane, firewood, and small grocery/drink items as well as souvenirs. (Note: KY does not allow uncertified KY firewood due to insect problems.) There is a mini golf set up at the CG and a big playing field just across the stream in the park with picnic tables.  CG's convenient to I-75 and I-64 but 5 miles inland so you don't get highway noise! Lexington and the "Bourbon Trail" is only a 15 min. or so ride north, and the Keeneland Racecourse is close as well. There are also many wineries in the area and country roads with beautiful horse farms, quaint streams, and gorgeous scenery. Walmart is in Winchester, about 10 miles up the road, where you will also find all sorts of stores and restaurants.

The CG lays on the original Daniel Boone settlement features with historic markers on paths throughout the park and CG.  The park itself is open to visitors (Museum of Applachia as well as a neat water park (opens Memorial Day??) and the remaining waist-high walls of the original Fort Boonesborough. A short drive from the campground (or a nice hike) is the reconstructed Fort ($8/adults; $4/children over 12) with a self-guided tour in the Fort to each of the buildings and history interpreters in full costume explaining how they lived during 1775 while settling the area. You can pick up a free brochure at the Fort ticket entrance that explains all the historic markers in the CG.

Overall, it was a nice CG (although we would have liked a bit more privacy) and we would go back.
Judy & Al, Dallas, GA
'09 TrailManor 2720

Offline flash82

• Star Camper
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Pics
Re: KY - Fort Boonesborough Campground near Lexington
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
Thanks, one of the places we are looking to go this year.
2000 Coleman Timberlake
2009 Borrego
2003 Mazda Tribute

Offline robsheila

• Star Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
Boonesborough is one of my favorite state parks.  I really enjoy my stay there.  The back half of the park has the better campsites, but the front half is nice.  A little something for everyone around the area.

We've learned that the locals tend to set the mood.  Some parks have made us feel like we're crashing a private party while others made us feel like we were welcome to join in the fun.  Boonesborough was very welcoming.
Sheila

Offline kirksvillecamper

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:23:17 AM »
i haven't been there since i was a young man, used to live about 30 miles from there. they have some awesome car shows there
Doug and Barbara
1998 ford f150
1994 rockwood 1910

Offline XD9_Shorty

• Wagon Master
  • Camper, 1st Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
This was our first camping trip park way back 10 years ago. We go often since we live in the same county. :) I just don't like the loud generators they have. Other than that it's wonderful.
Becky, Tim, Madison & Apollo
WAGON MASTER OF KENTUCKY RALLY July 19-21
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=69320.0

Offline XD9_Shorty

• Wagon Master
  • Camper, 1st Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »
Hopefully going this weekend if anyone wants to join us.
Becky, Tim, Madison & Apollo
WAGON MASTER OF KENTUCKY RALLY July 19-21
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=69320.0

Offline kmeece

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »
Camped here one night last summer on our way to Gatlinburg, TN.  Great place.  Would go back!
2006 Flagstaff 206 LTD
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Washington, Indiana

Offline whitmw

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 01:18:41 PM »
i haven't been there since i was a young man, used to live about 30 miles from there. they have some awesome car shows there

My family is from Kirksville and several still live there.

ORCCGEAR.COM - ORCC Gear Store, Quality Gear for the Outdoor Enthusiast