User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 515
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

1973 Starcraft Galaxy 8
 Views: 193
Posted by Dragon267
Sep 27, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

PopUpGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Flexible drain hose for pop-up  (Read 2689 times)

Offline mj2181

• Tenderfoot
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Flexible drain hose for pop-up
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:43:25 AM »
We have a pop-up with the sink that folds down.  We need to replace the sink drain from the sink to outside, but the only flex drain hoses that I can find have a hose only 26 inches long.  I know that will not be long enough to go from the sink to the outside of the camper. 

Do you know if any place I can go to get a sink drain system with a longer hose.  The contraption (I don't know what it is called) at the base of the sink drain has rusted off so that the swivel part of the drain system is gone.  We currently have a garden hose connected to the pipe coming directly from the drain, but when we close the camper, it pops off.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Michele

Offline mv520

• Star Camper
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Flexible drain hose for pop-up
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
You didn't say what kind of popup you have or dimensions of the hose. (And maybe a a picture of the "contraption" would help us give you some idea of what you have). You mention going from the sink to the outside of the camper. Usually there is flex hose from the sink to a 1.5" fitting on the camper outside wall, and from there you either use 1.5" fittings/hose or a little adapter that takes 1/5" to a garden host fitting, and then use a short garden hose down into your gray water bucket.

So I'm not sure I'm following, but to replace the hose inside, take some good measurements (what you really need is the inside diameter of the hose) and head to a big hardware store. In the plumbing section - probably up high with the stuff that is not bought a lot - there will be rolls of convoluted "sump pump hose" or "spa hose" or "dishwasher hose". You can probably get them to chop off and give you a couple inches to take home for size comparison if you don't want to take your current one apart and bring it in.

The sink drains in most PUPs are of a size known as a "bar sink" drain which is for a 2" opening in the sink itself, as opposed to 3.5" for a regular house sink drains. If you look enough in the sink drain section of a big box hardware store you'll find these bar sink drains, and perhaps you can replace the rusted part.

The final challenge is how do you connect the convoluted hose to the smooth surface fittings. Usually clean everything real well, use pure silicone caulk to take up the voids between the convoluted tubing inside and the fitting, then use some worm drive hose clamps on the outside to hold it together.

Hope that gives you some ideas. The above info is based on Fleetwood/Colemans.

Offline huizarr

• Star Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:52:03 PM »
Me, DW, and 3 DD's.
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »
Doesn't your sink drain have a hard plastic trap just like the ones under your sinks at home?
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

ORCCGEAR.COM - ORCC Gear Store, Quality Gear for the Outdoor Enthusiast