User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 514
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

1973 Starcraft Galaxy 8
 Views: 191
Posted by Dragon267
Sep 27, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 1972 Starcraft Venture Pop Up Project  (Read 4415 times)

Offline ValettaC

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1972 Starcraft Venture Pop Up Project
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:42:07 PM »
It sure helps a lot if you read the instructions for posting pictures doesn't it? ;)

For a almost 40 year old camper it could be a LOT worse.
Outside, back

Outside, front

And a few of the lovely vintage interior, lol.

Ok y'all, give me you're best shots! Tell me how crazy I am for buying a 40 year old camper! LOL

Offline Whiskeyme

• Camper, 1st Class
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: 1972 Starcraft Venture Pop Up Project
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
Go for it , I like it... [MOD]
Pop Up, Drink, Eat and Relax..
2001 Coleman Sea Pine
94 F-150

Offline nomoretent

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
You have a roof and a canvas so you're miles ahead of the game!  Even if you replace everything, as least you have the existing to know how to put it all back to gether.  LOL but I LOVE the fabric! 
1994 Jayco Eagle 10
Shawn & Carrie
2013 nights camped - 6

Offline ValettaC

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
Anyone know of a way to get the mildew stains off the inside canvas? Think oxyclean might work? These pics were taken AFTER I spent a whole day scrubbing and cleaning. Whoever used it last (obviously a trip to Florida because of the sand, shells, and coral skeletons I found in it) left it filthy. Old boxes of food in the cabinets, a banana peel or two, ants, encrusted food on the tables and counters, ants, leaves, dirt, ants, old clothes, oh and did I mention ants? lol

Offline ValettaC

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:57:28 PM »
You have a roof and a canvas so you're miles ahead of the game!  Even if you replace everything, as least you have the existing to know how to put it all back to gether.  LOL but I LOVE the fabric!

THANK YOU! I thought i was the only crazy person here!  [LOL] I love the fabric too, very vintage late 60's, early 70's! I was thinking of recovering the cushions but they are in near perfect condition (one tiny pea sized hole in the back of one) so I'm thinking of just giving them a good cleaning. It's a vintage camper, may as well keep it looking that way right?  [:D]

Offline memphisgrizz

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
It looks like you need mattresses! I have 2 that have come out of a jayco that belonged to my sil. We are in west tn but you are more than welcome to them if you want them. They are in extremely good condition. The foam is still wrapped in plastic. The outer material is still in great shape as well! Not sure of the measurments but I could get it for you if you are interested!
pup-1998 Jayco Eagle 12SO

Offline ValettaC

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »
It looks like you need mattresses! I have 2 that have come out of a jayco that belonged to my sil. We are in west tn but you are more than welcome to them if you want them. They are in extremely good condition. The foam is still wrapped in plastic. The outer material is still in great shape as well! Not sure of the measurments but I could get it for you if you are interested!

Wow! Thanks so much! Both the beds are full sized. The previous owner put the mattresses in his shed to "keep them from getting ruined" when he realized the roof leaked on the camper. Guess what, his shed leaked worse!  [LOL]  We were thinking of buying some thin foam insulation boards to go over the plywood and just using our full sized air mattress but if that doesn't work out I will surely let you know! What a very nice offer! I love this site!  [:D]

Offline nomoretent

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=16160.0

Check out this thread for mold and mildew remover.
1994 Jayco Eagle 10
Shawn & Carrie
2013 nights camped - 6

Offline Big_kid

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My photobucket albums
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »
You're not crazy. Our first one was about the same age when we bought it, and it was probably in worse shape than yours. The old Starcrafts can't be beat for simplicity & quick easy setup.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
'68 Starmaster8 SOLD, '97 Starlounge, '95 Astro, '95 Villager

Offline ValettaC

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »
Thanks for the link about canvas cleaning! There is hope for it after all! I guess I know what my project for tomorrow will be now since I already have some oxy clean on hand. :) If that fails Bass Pro Shop here I come! :)

Offline colorado_camper

• Life Camper
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:40:45 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of my old PUP, a 1977 Starcraft Galaxy 8.  These were after I had rebuilt the roof ends, redone the plumbing, some electrical, the brakes, interior paneling, propane system, etc.  I didn't take any 'before' pics.  We used this for about 7 years until I happened upon an unrefusable deal on my new one in May 2010.  Quite honestly, first night out in the new one didn't feel any different from the old one.

Take your time in redoing it and test every system fully in Camp Driveway before you go running off before learning to walk!!

[PU] 2001 Skamper Sport  21D - Our Weekend Place
 [TV] 2006 Ford E250 HD 4.6l V8 Auto w/Tow Package
 [CP] '14 Nights Camped- 18. '14 Nights Booked- 0

Offline Miller Tyme

• Star Camper
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 10:28:14 PM »
Ah, the memories. Our first pup was a '74 Venture...basically the same as yours, except for the floral patterns. Paid $500 for it, used it for about a year, and sold it for $450.

Good luck with the project. [8D]
Jim and Sandy
'98 Dutchmen 1006--'98 Chevy Silverado 1500
Survivor of the PUX Mid-Con Rally 2008, 2009, and Wagonmaster of 2011 and 2012

Offline Tekboy46

• Eagle Camper
    • OK [OK]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »

Nope, you're not crazy.

Our 79 Venture before...

The front of the roof and the left front corner were held together with duct tape when I bought it.

After:

The transformation took about 1 year to complete, working part time on the project. The comfort, roominess, simplicity and friendliness of the old Starcrafts is amazing. You have one of the easiest to work on popups. Some of us here have been through Starcrafts from front to back and top to bottom so dig in and ask questions when you're ready.  I don't see anything in your pictures that can't be fixed with a little work. Ok, in places, a lot of work lol... take it one step at a time and you're going to have one sweet camper.
Phil and Judy
2006 Crossroads Zinger 180 TT
1979 Starcraft PU: sold but not forgotten.

Offline ValettaC

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
Thanks Tekboy46! I love your pop up, that looks fantastic! So if this one was yours how would you go about starting on fixing that ceiling? It poured the rain yesterday, went out after the storm was over and checked the camper, no new leaks after the roof reseal! Woohoo! Now to fix what was previously damaged.  [MOD]

Offline Richard

• Camper, 1st Class
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Classified Development
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »
I helped a buddy down near Chattanooga fix up an old Coleman that was in a lot worse shape than yours.  This looks like a straightforward project.  How bad is the damage to the interior roof structure?  Is it rotten, or just not looking good?
We are making memories that our children will tell their grandchildren about.  Richard and 3 little kids camp in E. Tennessee.  DW doesn't get camping