User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Camping in Atacama Desert Chile
Our first bondock camping at the Atacama Desert
 Views: 27
Posted by chileankj
Mar 15, 2014
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

1986 Jayco Jaydove
First time out for this new to me 1986 Jaydove pop up! In really great condition!
 Views: 150
Posted by redboots
Apr 12, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: First Outing in Aliner  (Read 2984 times)

Offline kreich

• Eagle Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
First Outing in Aliner
« on: July 17, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »
Took the Aliner out for a first run.  Took Brother and sister in law with us.  We went to Caprock Canyon.  Towed like a dream.  When we would take the TT there it would take 1/2 tank of fuel one way.  This trip took 1/2 tank round trip.  What a gas savings that was.
All 4 adults slept with room to spare.  We had a great time.  The ushape table and sofa worked great for sitting around in the Aliner and BSing.  The A/C worked so so.  It was 113 degrees off the cap so I was not real concerned about that.  Once the sun went down it was colder than well you know.  It ran us out and had to adjust temp so we cold sleep.  The A/C will work fine. 
Over all I would give the Aliner a 100 out of 10 performance and usability.  Makes me wonder I never went this way before.  I would recommend one to anyone that is puping with 2 people.
Thanks so much to all the Aliner Chalet folks who helped with questions and comments.  Our pup days are forever a joy again.
Kevin Reich
Fishing's Future Salina Kansas Chapter

Offline carlr

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: First Outing in Aliner
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »
We have been looking at these units from time to time. The older I get the less I want to deal with set up. The Aliner is so easy to deal with and now we have a smaller tow vehicle it would make towing a lot easier also. I just can't justify the price. I have also looked at the Rockwood version. Maybe some day.
Enjoy.
1986 Coleman Sequoia , 2011 F150 Lariat Super Crew 4x4

Offline Travelhoveler

• Eagle Camper
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:47:48 PM »
kreich, so glad to hear it worked out for you.  I knew it would.  I think a-frames are the ideal pups for a couple or maybe a family with maybe one child.  Instant set up and take down means they're great for long distance trips too; it's no pita to set up or take down every day.  And when wet weather or cold weather sets in, you're going to love it even more-- no canvas to worry about.

carl,  Yes, they are more expensive, but they hold up very well and have few maintenance issues.  We bought a nine-year old one and it's been like new.  Look at a used one; there are some great deals and there is no extremely compelling reason to buy new as there's very little to go wrong.  Set up depends hinges, hardly something that's going to go awry.
Richard and Moonbeams
2008 Chalet Arrowhead, the Hovel, Too  [ALPU]
Nights camped 2013: 99/Nights camped 2014 so far: 0

Offline carlr

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
I will check out the used units. We do really like them It is only my wife and I know. Kids are gone on their own. It would be nice to set up in a few minutes and get to relaxing. We do enjoy having the large awning. I have seen awning for the A frames but they appear small. Are there options for larger ones?

Offline nimrod65

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »
If we give up on the PUP, I would like to get an A Liner.
Dan & Jackie
2014 A-liner Ranger 15
2010 Mitsubishi Endeavor

Offline Travelhoveler

• Eagle Camper
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 07:05:01 PM »
I have seen awning for the A frames but they appear small. Are there options for larger ones?

We carry a 12'-x-12' instant canopy and erect over the front so we can step out into an open "room."  If it's going to be windy, we lash the poles to the bumper and front frame.  Works like a charm and only takes a minute or so to erect when we want a canopy.
Richard and Moonbeams
2008 Chalet Arrowhead, the Hovel, Too  [ALPU]
Nights camped 2013: 99/Nights camped 2014 so far: 0

Offline carlr

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
We carry a 12'-x-12' instant canopy and erect over the front so we can step out into an open "room."  If it's going to be windy, we lash the poles to the bumper and front frame.  Works like a charm and only takes a minute or so to erect when we want a canopy.

You keep this up you will convince us to buy one...Which model do you have?

Offline kreich

• Eagle Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 08:12:28 PM »

2004 classic xl expedition

used taken very good care of
Kevin Reich

Offline kreich

• Eagle Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »

The front storage is fantastic.  Also the outside doors to storage on side are great to.
Kevin Reich

Offline carlr

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »
That is a sweet unit. I think I'm officially on the look out now. I'll use the PUP we have for this season and try to find a deal over the winter months.
Thanks for your help.

Offline JJ n Crew

• Eagle Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »
Nice looking unit, I have to wait like 15 years to enjoy one of those with my wife.
Have 3  little ones and the baby of the house (DD) just turn 6! [LOL]
John & Lely and the kids
'10 Jayco 14HW
'11 Tundra

Offline Liv

• Star Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »
It will be a few years here too, the baby is only 18 months.  But they look nice and easy as well as easy to store. ;)
Lov
Liv
2004 Chevy Express 3500
1998 Jayco Eagle 12 SO
10 in the PUP and the little one said roll over, roll over!

Offline nomoretent

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »
2012 Forest River Rockwood A128 Pop-Up Trailer

I don't know... do you think this could handle a family of 4?
1994 Jayco Eagle 10
Shawn & Carrie
2013 nights camped - 6

Offline kreich

• Eagle Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
We have always owned Rockwood products last 2 units.  We looked at them but we were undecided because of the coolcat type A/C units.  Our dealer could not guarantee us that it would cool the unit.  But he found us the Aliner.  We were so sold on them that I bought this sight un seen.  The Rockwood goes up just like the Aliner.  We have the wind kit on both sides and I do not know if Rockwood has it.  You might check.  We slept 4 adults this weekend in ours and it has couch/bed and u shape dinning/bed it worked and we had no issues.  Good luck.
Kevin Reich

Offline Sushidog

• Star Camper
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
Welcome to the world of A-Frame PUP-dom. We love our little Aliner LXE, but it is deninitely a 2 person (and a pet) unit as it only has one king bed. The upside is that it has all the amenities of a bigger rig, yet it is so light it tows with a little 4 cyl car!

To help the little 5,000 BTU AC keep up in our hot and muggy Louisiana climate we added reflectix to the windows and 3 bubbles. Here are a couple shots:

The reflectix in the bubble windows is held in place just by pushing it in. The window reflectix is held in place by some velcro strips, so it is instantly removed to enjoy the view.

We frequently use a screen room and awning when we stop for 2 or more days, expanding our "outside" room. When just overnighting we don't bother as the screen room takes 30-45 minutes to set-up and take down, defeating the purpose of having a camper with a 30 second set-up. Our custom made awning only adds about 3 minutes to our set-up time so we use it more often than the screen room. Here's a shot of our typical long term campsite:

There are many Aliner specific resources available online. Here are a few links:

This is the Aliner Yahoo forum:  http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/alinerchaleta-frames/
After joining you can see more of my mods under Chip&Cindy's Aliner in the photo section. There are also 2 Chalet specific yahoo sites that also welcome Aliner folk as our A-frames have so much in common. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/chaletcamping/ and http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ChaletXLownersforum/

Here's the Ambling Aframe's site:  http://wiki.amblingaframes.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Here's the Aliner Owners Club: http://alinerownersclub.org/

Here's a friend's Blog: http://www.theoleguy.blogspot.com/

Congrats on your purchase. Hope to see you down the road.

Chip

I asked my broker where I should put my money. He said canned food and ammo.