User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 770
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

All ready for winter
All ready for the first snow fall  [:(]
 Views: 31
Posted by Bryan440
Oct 30, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

After Blowing out Water System Antifreeze or no Antifreeze? by Hoosier Daddy
[Today at 06:09:50 AM]

bike rack receiver? by ghacker
[Today at 05:08:25 AM]

Adding foam under bunk mattresses by 94-D2
[Today at 04:10:38 AM]

POLL: Roadside Assistance Program by silvermickey2002
[Today at 03:19:15 AM]

First trip by thejohnsons
[Today at 02:53:16 AM]

Switched Voltmeter; 110v outlet w/USB; LED replacement - with pics! by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 02:47:50 AM]

Good news, everyone! by vjlarson
[Today at 02:38:02 AM]

Travelers Beware by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 02:16:41 AM]

towing Phoenix to San Jose- Mojave?? by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 01:55:23 AM]

Are we hooked up? by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 01:44:14 AM]

New here looking forward to meeting folks. by generok
[Today at 01:16:40 AM]

Noob in FL by generok
[Today at 01:13:50 AM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Towing with "Passenger Car" vs "Truck" chassis  (Read 2533 times)

Offline CoolDad

• Star Camper
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Towing with "Passenger Car" vs "Truck" chassis
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I've seen a lot of discussion with folks towing their PUPs with almost every type of vehicle.   I've also seen "recommendations" on how to best tow with your specific vehicles.

I would like to see some general discussion on the merits of towing with the different types of vehicles.  I break family vehicles into two basic categories. 

First, are the vehicles built on a "passenger car" chassis.  This includes sedans, coups, and wagons.  I believe it would also include many mini-vans and some cross-overs.  For example, a Toyota Highlander crossover is built on an Avalon chassis.  I would consider any front wheel drive mini-van or cross-over a passenger car chassis.

The second group of vehicles are the ones built on "truck" chassis.  This includes most mid and large sized SUVs as well as pick-ups and large vans.  I would even venture to put a Jeep type vehicle into this category since it is designed for off-road utility.

Aside from the calculations that can be done for max tow weight, which can be calculated for any vehicle, I would like to see everyone's opinion on towing with these two distinct types of vehicles.

I know the history of PUPs is such that they were designed to be light and towable with the family car when they first came out.  My relatives used to tow theirs with their family station wagon.  This was, however, when the family car was generally a sedan with a full box frame and typically a large V6 or V8 engine, 15 inch wheels, and fairly stout brake systems.

Personally, I don't think that today's "passenger car" chassis are adequate as tow vehicles in most cases.   I don't believe that their transmissions and brakes are designed to pull and stop much more than the vehicle itself.  I also question the use of a unibody design (no full vehicle frame) as a good tow vehicle as it can put significant stress on the body to be towing with it (especially with front wheel drive).   Plus, front wheel drive vehicles are typically very light in the rear end which would make me sceptical of the safety of towing with them.

Obviously, I lean toward using "truck" based chassis as TVs.  I believe they are sturdier and heavier and provide a much more robust drive trane and braking system.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this general topic?
[PU] - '08 Flagstaff BR28TSC Offroad
 [TV] - '07 Ford Expedition EL
 [8D] - Me-'67, DW-'74, DS-'97, DD-'01, DD-'04

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
Re: Towing with "Passenger Car" vs "Truck" chassis
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
A Cherokee or Grand Cherokee have been uni-body for years. I would have to say a rear wheel drive vehicle has a stronger rear suspension. I would not tow with a front wheel drive vehicle. Just my 2 cents.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline JamesRL

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 04:34:28 PM »
I believe you've already made up your mind, so this isn't a discussion but an opinion.

I've towed with a full size pickup. I've towed with a minivan.

Obviously there are constraints to towing with a minivan. You have to be much more careful about the weight and how it is distributed. You have to modify the vehicle in most cases to add a transmission cooler and often improve the suspension. And even if you do all that you probably want to avoid mountains.

But even given all those constraints I have safely towed a light weight PUP with a minvan thousands of miles safely, and I might add, stopped safely in panic situations, merged safely, and never ever had a hint of sway.

My current van has auto adjusting air suspension. Its got more horesepower and torque than many of those old V6 and V8 full frames you go on about. It has stability control and traction control that those old cars never had. Personally I think its probably a much better tow vehicle than a 2 door jeep, based on the wheelbase alone.

If have a problem with Unibody tow vehicles, than should everyone stop towing with them?

How about owners of:
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ford Explorer
GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse
Ford Flex
Mercedes ML
Honda Pilot

And many others that are unibody but can tow well over 3500 lbs and in many cases 5000 lbs.

I do think that people who chose to tow with a "lesser" rated vehicle have to be more careful, more weight conscious, and maintain their vehicle well.

And if i had to have a PUP that weighed 3000 lbs and I lived in the Rockies, there isn't a doubt I would have to think about a very robust vehicle.

My thought is that I see too many people who sit in judgement of others and look down their noses at those of us who don't use trucks.

If my mechanic, who rebuilds transmissions for a living for 30 years, thinks that my van and its transmission can handle towing my 1250 lbs trailer, I think I will respect his judgement.   
James (61), DS (94), DD (95), DD(97)
1991 Coleman Roanoke Royale
2007 Pontiac Montana SV6

Offline Aladin Sane

• Life Camper
    • IA [IA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
One thing I would disagree with in the OP's initial statement is the relative performance of braking.  I would say that in the days of hauling a pup behind a v-8 powered station wagon, the brakes on the car were not nearly as good as the brakes found on any modern vehicle.
1996 Viking 2006 [PU]
2003 Ford F250 Crew Cab [TV]

Offline silvermickey2002

• Eagle Camper
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Silvermickey's Photobucket Albums
Towing with "Passenger Car" vs "Truck" chassis
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
We tow with a truck and a Honda Odyssey. The honda we use to tow cross country. The Honda pulls great and no problems wirh braking. We have driven thru the Badlands and Black Hills wirh no issues! The pup empty weighs 1840 lbs. So with gear in the pup, gear in the van plus the 3 of us we are still under 3500 lbs the van can haul!

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Gary
'08 Fleetwood Sea Pine, '12 Ford Explorer, (2014 Nights in Pup-9 / Tent camped-1) Assistant Scoutmaster

Offline joet

• Eagle Camper
    • WV [WV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
I believe you've already made up your mind, so this isn't a discussion but an opinion.

And many others that are unibody but can tow well over 3500 lbs and in many cases 5000 lbs.

I do think that people who chose to tow with a "lesser" rated vehicle have to be more careful, more weight conscious, and maintain their vehicle well.

My thought is that I see too many people who sit in judgement of others and look down their noses at those of us who don't use trucks.
Everybody has their  own opinion, and it is just that an opinion.  I could care less what you or anyone else tows with., as I do not judge.
  I tow  with 4X4 a pickup always have and always will.  This is my choice.
 I have towed with F350's to my current Colorado, with a 4:10 gear and tuned 5.3 it has well over 300 HP
Again I prefer a boxed frame truck, and its hard to hunt and fish out of an SUV or mini van (cannot haul my Foreman or dogs)
I may grow older, but will never grow up....Jimmy Buffett

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »
I had a Ford Explorer with a 4.0L 6-cylinder engine.  It did alright on the flats but labored pulling my Fleetwood Yuma (about 1,600 lbs empty and probably 2,000 loaded) up mountain grades.  I decided to get a full-size pickup capable of towing a LOT so I would be covered no matter what trailer I purchased in the future.  It pulls my TrailManor with ease.  I would not have wanted to pull the TM with the Explorer (in spite of what TrailManor says about the kinds of vehicles that can tow it). 
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

Offline pianewman

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:40:38 PM »
Popup: in my signature, 2550 lbs. loaded...very tongue heavy (350-400lbs)
Towed with: 2001, then 2007 Honda Odysseys.  Both needed rear suspension help, installed Airlift with dual controller in both.  Also used Reese 400 weight distribution hitch.  I always towed right at, or just below, capacity for the Odyssey.

Now towing with Toyota 2005 Tundra double cab, 4WD,.  Added helper springs to level truck, still use reese 400 weight distribution hitch.  Now towing at about 2/5 the capacity of the TV.  About 12k miles towing.

My thoughts?  The 2001 and 2007 Odysseys performed very well, felt very stable, over 20k miles of highway towing.  Never had a panic stop, so I can't say how it would have performed.  I predict it would have been adequate.

Obviously, the Tundra is a completely different ballgame.   Much more power, extremely stable, poorer MPG (13 vs. 17), less interior room, much larger capacity for gear.

My choice?  I would never tow at or near capacity again, in any vehicle.  It's just plain dumb...unless the trips are extremely short.   I'll stick with the truck, but I understand the need for using a van, as it is much more versatile, for every day use.
2002 Fleetwood/Coleman Santa Fe CP
2005 Toyota Tundra Limited 4WD, Reese WDH400

Offline riverwalker

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NB [NB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 07:46:49 PM »
  I've towed an old TT probably between 3000 and 4000lb's with my 1997 4.3lt Blazer and my pup which is over 3000lb loaded up. It would work a little hard to get to 100km's (60mph) but once there it was good to go , barely could tell TT or pup was behind me, braking is going to be different for each instance but neither had brakes so the blazer was doing all the braking and managed fine. The thing I found strange was it actually got better fuel mileage when there were no larger hills to climb. I now have a 4.8lt Silverado  which the faster you go the less you notice your towing any thing and my newer pup has brakes so there as been no issues. Gas mileage isn't as good as the blazer.
'Keep your lines tight!"

Offline gec66

• Life Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
I will contribute this from my thread about towing with my 2006 Honda Odyssey...  If money and fuel economy were no object, I would own a 45' class A diesel pusher, not a pop up and a mini van.  Nuff said!

Anybody that has been around towing for a few years can remember 3,500 lb tow ratings for a Ford Bronco II or Chevy S-10 Blazer.  Short wheelbase, light weight, 140-160 hp engines and weak brakes.  I had a 1988 Bronco II and pulled 3,500 lbs behind it once.  Never again.  Squirrelly as heck and way over worked the engine.  My van has 244 hp, 118" wheelbase, 66.7" track width, and weighs 4,400 lbs empty.  The Bronco II had a 14" shorter wheelbase, 10" narrower track and weighed 3,160 lbs empty, but had the same tow rating??????  No disrespect here, but I endangered nobody.  The 3,500 lb tow rating on mini vans in general is there for several reasons.  First, the U.S. has become litigious that the manufacturers are covering their backsides.  Second, they are not really made to tow even 3,500 lbs on a daily basis, so the manufacturers set the bar pretty low.  An occasional tow is fine.  You will also note as I mentioned above that Honda does not list a max frontal area to go with the tow rating.  A Honda Pilot of the same vintage has a 4,500 lb tow rating with the same drive train, but lists that as applicable to a boat and restricts the tow rating to 3,500 lbs for other towing applications.  In that restriction they are alluding to frontal area being an issue.  Now the pilot is built on the same platform, has the same track width, but a 12" shorter wheelbase than the Odyssey.  So you tell me which vehicle is safer pulling that 4,500 lbs?????  I also noted above my experience pulling 2,500 lbs with a 3/4 ton van with 5.7L V-8 engine that really struggles due to a very high front wall on the trailer.  I submit to you that 800 lbs over gcvw is less strain on the drive train than at gcvw with a large frontal area.  The van has large brakes and with trailer brakes stops nearly as quickly towing as not towing.

Bottom line is this.  If you want to blindly follow ratings and that makes you fell better, fine.  I contend that you can be within the ratings and be unsafe.  I can tell you I have been there.

2007 Honda Odyssey/2004 Fleetwood Bayside Elite
Reese Single Bar 400lb WDH
Prodigy 2 Brake Controller

Offline bigdad

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • KY [KY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »
On today's car and trucks min van you need to watch the weight, i have use  a car for a long time a 97 crown vic full frame and the ford windstar uni body i like the car better and i used i SUV which i still have 03 ford Expedition 4x4 and now a 05 Mercury Grand Marquis Ls both suv and car have full frame's. ford is the only co thats still make a full size car and for how long we will have to see, they did stop making the Mercury line this was the last year for Grand Marquis line.
camping is life.
2004 Dodge Durango 4x4
2012 Light House FB21

Offline GA Judy

• Eagle Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Scent By Angels Pet Memorial Candles
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 10:07:37 PM »
We easily pull our TrailManor 2720 with our 2002 Honda Odyssey with a self-installed transmission cooler. No problems but we haven't tried the Rockies yet!
Judy & Al, Dallas, GA
'09 TrailManor 2720

Offline CoolDad

• Star Camper
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 08:23:51 AM »

Good discussion so far.  I'm not trying to make up my mind and I doubt that my opinion will change; however, I do enjoy seeing everyone else's opinion.  That's exactly what I'm looking for in this discussion.

I agree with one of the other posters in that there are quite a few of the vehicles that I would put in the "truck" category that are probably not a good choice for pulling heavier trailers (e.g., short wheel base Jeep, Bronco II, etc.).   Plus, there are probably still quite a few "passenger car" vehicles (e.g., crown vic) that can make good platforms for towing a pretty significant PUP.

Another poster had a very good point about older vehicle braking system vs newer systems.  There's no doubt that the old drum brakes didn't work as efficiently as newer disc systems especially with the electronic controls available today.  My main point there was that the overall systems were more robust such as large diameter drums with a lot of braking surface area vs 13" discs.   Of course, trailer brakes make a big difference there too.

Another thought / question that I have is based on moding the TV to allow for towing.  I wonder how changing the original TV's suspension affect the performance and/or safety of the original design?  For example, if you make the rear suspension significantly stiffer via extra springs, does that affect the performance and safety built into the original engineering of the vehicle when not towing?

Obviously, there are a lot of factors that come into play when making the choice on TV.   I also believe that you could probably tow with any vehicle safely if you stay within the gross weight ratings and drive sensibly based on your configuration.

I'm sure that a 800 lb. PUP with trailer brakes behind a mini-van, Jeep, mid-size sedan, etc. with a 1500# tow rating, WDH, and sway control would safe.  Heck, it would probably be safer than towing a 3000 lb PUP with no brakes behind a full-size 1/2 ton pickup hitched to the step bumper.

BTW, I know that most places require brakes for trailers over 3000 lbs; but, do many PUPs of the lighter variety come with trailer brakes or would they have to be installed as an option / add-on?   I'm certain that the availabilty and use of trailer brakes would be a big factor in this discussion.

Another thought / opinion of mine is how close to max towing capacity a person should be willing to go.  On a larger heavier vehicle designed with towing in mind and configured for towing, you could probably get closer to the max and be safer than approaching max on a vehicle not designed with towing in mind.
[PU] - '08 Flagstaff BR28TSC Offroad
 [TV] - '07 Ford Expedition EL
 [8D] - Me-'67, DW-'74, DS-'97, DD-'01, DD-'04

Offline kitphantom

• Wagon Master
  • Eagle Camper
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »
Our current pup is tiny, under 800#, with no brakes.

Towing with the '96 Outback was fine, it made it up and over Boulder Mountain in UT with no problem. I did always feel like someone was sitting way too close to my back bumper, even this pup loomed in the mirrors.

Tows better with the 4Runner. It has behaved well in a couple of quick-reaction situations. The one on the first trip after renovation, someone pulled directly in front of us on the interstate, which necessitated an avoidance maneuver (read, take to the shoulder ASAP). First trip this year, a wheel came off.

We plan on keeping the 4Runner for a good long time - we've had the Outback since it was new, though a couple of second vehicles have come and gone in the meantime. (The '02 Outback was a lemon, or close to it.) The tow limit on the 4Runner is much higher than the Outback, but our preference is to be under 2500# for the next pup.
Andrea & Courtenay  TT: 2015 White Water Retro 177; TV: [TV] 2005 4Runner
'14: 60 nights camped/8 trips, planned: 4 nights/1 trip
2010 Coleman Cobalt 4 sale

Offline JamesRL

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • My Pics
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »
I think its dangerous to make sweeping assumptions and statements.

My dad's previous pickup to his current one, its transmission went before 200,000 kms (about 125,000) miles, despite the fact he maintained the vehicle, rarely towed and rarely even had loads of anything in the back, beyond the odd bits of furniture and stuff he and mom would get at yard sales.  The brakes on it were weak compared to the ones on my old Mazda MPV, the stopping distance was much further.

As for stiffening the rear suspension, I did swap out the shocks on the rear of my MPV at one point, but it didn't negatively impact the handling, they were Monroe sensatracs and they stiffen under load. My air suspension in my new van also adjusts under load, so the van isn't uncomfortable when driving empty. I don't think safety is in the least bit compromised.

I'm also of the opinion that its a mistake to suggest all minivans are the same.

My wife's best friend tows with a Chevy Venture. If it had the tow package (which it doesn't) it would be rated the same as my 07 Pontiac Montana.
But here are some differences:
My wheelbase is 9 inches longer.
I have 55 more horsepower.
I have 4 wheel discs versus drums in the back
I have traction and stability control.

Oh and my trailer is 200 lbs lighter.

Tow ratings are one thing, but there are major differences between models of vans and even between years of vans.

As for safety margins, I'm well below my rated weight, and I wouldn't get above say 80% or so. I've seen some dangerous overweight situations on the road, and some of them were vans, and some of them were big SUVs and trucks. If your backend of your TV and the front end of your trailer make a nice V then something is wrong. Of course, thats more serious with a FWD vehicle, as you lose traction and even steering.
James (61), DS (94), DD (95), DD(97)
1991 Coleman Roanoke Royale
2007 Pontiac Montana SV6