User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 1077
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Calman Trike and Pop-up
 Views: 202
Posted by Calman
Dec 02, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Filling cassette potty water tank by Wayne In Florida
[Today at 04:17:09 PM]

Keeping the mice away by Tibof
[Today at 04:07:03 PM]

2 elec. problems: No DC and 20 amp fuse at batt. blows by aslag
[Today at 03:57:08 PM]

2015 Michigan Rally- 4th Annual - Holly Recreation Area by mamabean5
[Today at 03:16:24 PM]

At what point do I need a Weight Distribution Hitch? by bupkis
[Today at 03:04:19 PM]

This is good news for SC Parks!! by RotnMom
[Today at 02:35:20 PM]

Saw a terrible thing today. .. by RotnMom
[Today at 02:32:17 PM]

2015 - Ontario Summer Down By The River Rally by Snow
[Today at 02:10:18 PM]

Oh Brother here we go again by RotnMom
[Today at 02:07:13 PM]

Urgent! by aslag
[Today at 01:40:24 PM]

Insurance question by tenttrailer
[Today at 01:17:37 PM]

New owner by steveonzakon
[Today at 12:57:17 PM]

PopUpGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 1999 Camplite by Damon  (Read 3309 times)

Offline bobber128

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1999 Camplite by Damon
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
I'm looking at possibly getting a 1999 Camplite by Damon model 2408 as my first pup. I'm wondering if a) anyone has had any experience with the Camplites, and b) if they are reliable pups. I know the company went out of business a few years ago. I'm also wondering if it is difficult to find replacement parts or repairs for them.
PUP- 2007 Fleetwood Sun Valley
TV - 2004 Honda Odyssey

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Dubbya's Popup Camper Mods Page
Re: 1999 Camplite by Damon
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »
After taking a look at the Camplites, they're really not much different from anything else you'll find out there and the majority of any parts you'd need would all come from the same places.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd recommend a behemoth like this as anyone's "first pup" as the bigger you go, the more opportunity you have for costly repairs. Additionally, you can't just contact the manufacturer if you have problems. If you're mechanically inclined, if it's a great price, if EVERYTHING works, if it's in PRISTINE condition, and you're not too concerned about taking the plunge, it's your call.

I doubt there are many, if any parts stamped "made by Damon". The lift system is most likely a Goshen, so I seriously doubt you'd have any trouble finding parts for it.

Axles, springs, brakes, tires and bearings, plumbing, A/C, heating, lighting and electrical components, exterior plastics, access hatches, that sort of thing are all standard across the industry and can be found at any RV dealer.

Since most canvas shops that specialize in popups would use your canvas as a template anyway, replacing the fabrics/canvas is a non-issue.

This Camplite roof rebuild thread might come in handy:
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=15636.msg51992#msg51992

My advice? As with any used pup, check the floor inside and from underneath for soft spots and rot, particularly under the lift system brackets and inside the door. Look for water stains on the walls as well, particularly around lift posts. Check the condition of all lift cables, winch and pulleys. Electric lift? Make sure it works properly.

Visually inspect the roof behind the canvas, particularly in the front and rear at the tops of the bunk canvas for rot. Make sure the bunks slide in and out EASILY. Make sure the walls are all solid and that the door is square. Check the floors in the storage compartment for soft spots and rot as well.

Make sure the fridge, stove and plumbing are in good working order. Check that the converter is working and check the dates on the battery (batteries) to ensure they don't need to be replaced (The average service life is five years for batteries).

Check the date stamp on the LP propane tank (They have to be replaced every ten years). Try the furnace and A/C as well. Crawl underneath to check for frame damage in the front and rear. I'd want to see that frame straight as an arrow, no appreciable sagging or flexing.

Remember, you MIGHT be buying someone else's problems. It happens, just don't overpay for them!

[2C]
1996 Viking 2060ST | 1997 Ford F-150

Offline bobber128

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice. As for the size, I'm comfortable towing something this size, and the one we used this weekend was the same length. I was able to get it set up and taken down on my own (wifey was busy taking care of the baby), with no trouble at all. I will certainly check on the items you suggested. The current owner is asking $2400 for it, and claims it is in great shape. I'm going to go look at it quickly this afternoon, and hopefully will get a feel for the condition when I do. Luckily for me, I'm in no real hurry to buy one up, as the camping season is wrapping up here in Michigan for me. If it's not in great shape, I have no problem walking away.
TV - 2004 Honda Odyssey

Offline phipps

• Life Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:02:20 PM »
We owned a 1997 Camplite 2218 before our hybrid and we loved it! Ours had a slideout which made it very roomy.
[TV] 1999 Chevy Silverado
[PU] 2003 Dutchmen Sport 19T

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Dubbya's Popup Camper Mods Page
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
For $2400, you're not going to be out anything! Worst case scenario, you use it for a season or two then just  tear it apart and sell the frame as a tandem axle flat deck!

Best of luck in your purchase! Happy camping!
1996 Viking 2060ST | 1997 Ford F-150

Offline CoxClan

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
Our Camplite is a 97 or 98 (up for debate at the moment) and we've had no issues so far, other than the leaky sink, which was an easy fix.  The slider makes my little pup as roomy as the TT my neighbors bought for much more....

I agree with the others - for $2400, as long as there are no major structure issues, go for it!

Jonetta & Ron
Rhiannon, Braedon, Peyton, and Lily the camping Shih Tzu

Offline henrywil22

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
My camplight is a 1997 model 2206 and I love it.  As for repair parts, as far as I can tell everything is replaceable with standard stock type parts from other manufacturers. 
Camper 1997 Camplite 2206
Tow Vehicle 2006 Envoy

Offline bobber128

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »
Well, we went and took a closer look at the Camplite today. First of all, the seller was kinda off-putting. Second, we noticed several issues that have us more than a little concerned. Two of the latches that hold the roof down had been pulled off. One had been replaced, but the other was still missing, and the surface it was mounted on was pretty torn up. I think I would have to relocate the latch all together, if I wanted to make it work. Also, the roof didn't seem to crank down too securely, and didn't seem to want to go back up too well.  The canvas stitching had come undone in a few places, and it was pulled away from the box on the corners of the slide out. The roof was spongy on all four corners, where a previous owner had a bike rack installed. And the floor under the slide out was rotted in the corners. Not to mention, a lot of little items that needed attention.

By the way, how hard is the roof replacement? I looked through the roof replacement thread, but it seemed to end before the finish point. Or am I just missing something?

On the up side, the slide out came in and out easy, even if it is HEAVY (I guess that's the down side to it being so big), and the beds came in and out very smoothly. The interior looked pretty good, too.

I don't expect a pristine camper, but I'm not sure I'm ready for quite that much work.
I guess my camping season is over for the year, so there's no reason to rush. I suppose we can keep looking through the winter.

TV - 2004 Honda Odyssey

2015 - Wisconsin June Rally